Options

Odd behaviour on Wharfedale 17" IDTV - help required from other owners

I bought a Wharfedale 17" integrated digital LCD a couple of days back and have just noticed some odd behaviour.

I've been adjusting the sharpness setting to try and get the best balance between sharpness and hiding the digital artifacts from the Freeview signal.

I found that if I adjust the sharpness and then switch off the TV* or switch to another source and then switch back to digital again, the sharpness seems to have gone back to it's default setting.
When I go to Menu > Picture and scroll down to sharpness (without actually adjusting the sharpness), the sharpness suddenly adjusts itself to what I set it to previously.

(* Switch off using the remote and wait until the light stops flashing or use the button on the side)

Does anyone else with this TV get the same problem?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I bought the same LCD from Argos last week for my kitchen. I only tuned in the digital channels, didn't tune analogue. Haven't hooked anything else to it.

I also altered my sharpness, but didn't get the same problem as you. After reading your post I reset the sharpness and turned it off at the side, on turning back on sharpness was as I had stored it. I adjusted and stored it again, then put it in standby, the sharpness again had stayed exactly as I had stored it.

Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    hi there....just wondered what your comments are so far on your screen used in the kictchen. I think Im jsut being a bit snobby but wasnt sure if the Wharfdale was the way to go.

Any comments would be welcomed, ie picture quality on digital and any generals quipples

Jon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi

This is the first LCD I have bought and was a bit dubious, but wanted widescreen for the kitchen and seeing the good reviews on others posts I took the plunge.

It was really easy to set up, automatically tuning the digital channels. I bought the Telecam wideband indoor aerial £9.99 also from Argos to go with it. I am in a strong signal area. This aerial is excellent and seems to cut down the interference that you can get on freeview from kitchen appliances.

It did take me a couple of days to adjust the picture to get it to my liking, but then that could have been because I was used to having a 14" CRT in the kitchen. The majority of the time the picture is excellent, all outdoor broadcast are super, the pictue on the Olympics was really good. Just the odd program shot in a darker room is not as sharp as the old tv. But there is no way I would swap in back. My husband who can be really critical of picture quality, keeps looking at it and saying "Can't believe how good that picture is".

You do get a two second delay when changing channels, but then I was used to that as I already had a freeview box on my 14". Some have said that the sound is tinny, but I find the sound OK and there are quite a few different adjustments you can make on the sound to get it to your liking. It has great volume, I can now hear the tv when cooking with the extractor on.

The menu on it is so easy to navigate. Real doddle.

I don't have any complaints, I am well pleased with this TV, it does everything that I wanted it to do. It gives me more room on the worksurface, as it slides right under the top cupboards, I now have widescreen with freeview, without having loads of wires freeview box and big scart. This looks so neat.

Paula
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Hi Emsee,

Did your test with sharpness. My Wharfy saved the new settings no bother.

I now have to adjust it back as to my taste.

I will start a new thread aka the Wharfy. I am still thankful to you for your pvr comparison table.

You rock

Elph. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    elphie wrote:
    Did your test with sharpness. My Wharfy saved the new settings no bother.

Thanks - looks like mine's got a bug (or maybe an old software version - Mine shows V.2.0W)
    elphie wrote:
    I will start a new thread aka the Wharfy. I am still thankful to you for your pvr comparison table.

You rock

Thanks *blush* :o
    That reminds me, I really need to update that :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,344
    Forum Member
    Now I may be being a total div here - but I have mine set up on the auto setting for aspect ratio. However when I view (for instance) Quantum Leap on ITV3 I get big black lines down the side of the picture (4:3). When I use the "wide" button on the remote control nothing happens. On my Toshiba TV in the lounge I have it set to "super live" which adjusts the signal being received to my screen - should the Wharfedale be doing this as well or do I just have to put up with 4:3 on certain programs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine does exactly the same on the digital channels. I believe you can only use the zoom etc on the analogue channels, it's an added function in the analogue menu, I believe I read it in the manual. As I don't have the analogue channels tuned in I can't try it for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I have my Wharfy set to 16:9 globally. I also get this problem. Is it a problem with the broadcaster and not the box? Old, not pure widescreen, TV's would stretch the picture to 16:9 and everyone would look fat. But we all got used to this. With Digital, we get proper widescreen unless it is not broadcast as such. Hense, on E4, all the programmes are wiidescreen but the adverts are not and you get the black lines on the vertical.

Please put me straight if I have got this wrong....

Elph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi emsee.

With regards to your problems re the sharpness and picture quality, have you actually stored your settings after you've changed them? There is a "store" option at the base of each list. You need to highlight it and then either press "right" and "ok" or just "ok" (can't remember off hand and not near TV at the moment). The word "stored" then appears at the base of the menu.

For the digital aspect ratio switching, the TV only allows manual switching in analogue or AV mode. Within the DTT mode, the ratio will only switch automatically. The viewed ratio is dependant on the format flag set by the broadcaster at any one time and cannot be changed manually.

Personally, I think this a good thing as there's nothing worse than watching at a 4:3 programme stretched to fit a 16:9 frame and you don't have to manually intervene and set a format each time for the programme you are watching.