BBC High Definition Multiplex on air now!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to make sense of all the info in this thread, having read most of it several times.

I can pick up the Freeview signal via DVBviewer but can only record it, not view it live. Is there anyone who's yet cracked the live Freeview viewing of BBC HD or am I jumping the gun? If it can be done now what am I missing?

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to make sense of all the info in this thread, having read most of it several times.

I can pick up the Freeview signal via DVBviewer but can only record it, not view it live. Is there anyone who's yet cracked the live Freeview viewing of BBC HD or am I jumping the gun? If it can be done now what am I missing?

Thanks.

Make sure you're using the very latest version of DVBViewer GE (version 1.9.5.3) and the DVBViewer H.264 kit, both available from the DVBViewer members' page. You need to have a suitable H.264 decoder installed, such as the Elecard decoder or the Cyberlink decoder included with PowerDVD 7 Deluxe.

Then tune DVBViewer into BBC HD, making sure you have the "Video Type" set to "H.264" in the tuning details. Hopefully that'll do the trick!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    wrote:
    I can pick up the Freeview signal via DVBviewer but can only record it, not view it live. Is there anyone who's yet cracked the live Freeview viewing of BBC HD or am I jumping the gun? If it can be done now what am I missing

I had problems getting a live view, enentually pinned it down to a moonlight h264 decoder being higher on the decoder pecking order so dvbviewer used this instead of cyberlinc codec

i did not even know i had the moonlight decoder, all i got was sound

anyway downloaded radlight manager from the members area of dvbviewer, deleted moonlight from the system

hey presto live viewing. only 14fps though, but better than a blank screen

I now have full screen hd with dd 5.1 on my 32" lcd tv, all I need to complete the setup is a 25fps codec :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    May i ask do you need to pay for DVB Viewer?

pmanok what exact software and codecs are you running and where could i find them!

Thanks
    Forum Member
    thejabba wrote:
    May i ask do you need to pay for DVB Viewer?

pmanok what exact software and codecs are you running and where could i find them!

Thanks

www.dvbviewer.com 15 euro (about £8). Very reasonable
    http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html
    expensive but the best. But still not good enough unless u have a top spec pc

or wait
    have a look round this thread, ther are other decoders which may be cheaper/free, but not as good, or i suggest download a trial decoder and wait till core release their codec with mbaff support
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

I know this has been made available before, but could someone possibly provide me a a short stream from the BBC HD Mutilplex. I want to investigate decoding solutions on the Mac?

Someone else is looking in to getting the stream using the iTele and MMInput drivers, so the decoding is gonna be the hard bit :-)

Thanks in advance.
    D.
    Forum Member
    neilka, I appreciate the answer. I've now got a jerky BBC HD freeview picture, thanks.

pmanok, you said '....but still not good enough unless u have a top spec pc'. What are we classing as a top spec PC that's going to provide 25fps Freeview HD? Any suggestions?

I've a number of different configurations I can try but it does mean upheaval and I'm loathed to alter my HTPCV set-ups if it's still not going to be good enough.

My main HTPC is shortly going to become a dual core Intel 3Ghz (viiv) but only running a Nvidia 7300 PCI-e graphics card.

I've got my main PC as a 4200+ dual core AMD with a Nvidia 6800GS 256MB PCI-e card, if that's good enough is there a way to stream the program to my viiv HTPC via network cable?

Thanks again.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neilka, I appreciate the answer. I've now got a jerky BBC HD freeview picture, thanks.

pmanok, you said '....but still not good enough unless u have a top spec pc'. What are we classing as a top spec PC that's going to provide 25fps Freeview HD? Any suggestions?

I've a number of different configurations I can try but it does mean upheaval and I'm loathed to alter my HTPCV set-ups if it's still not going to be good enough.

My main HTPC is shortly going to become a dual core Intel 3Ghz (viiv) but only running a Nvidia 7300 PCI-e graphics card.

I've got my main PC as a 4200+ dual core AMD with a Nvidia 6800GS 256MB PCI-e card, if that's good enough is there a way to stream the program to my viiv HTPC via network cable?

Thanks again.
    A dual-core 3GHz pentium is currently insufficient to decode these broadcasts, regardless of the graphics card you've got, because currently none of the h.264 acceleration that various graphics cards claim to support actually works, so the processor maxes out trying to decode the streams.

We are trying to find a box that is powerful enough to decode the streams in real time, and I'm sure someone will post the specs once they find out what's needed!
    Forum Member
    tellytart1, thanks for the info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, in the absence of a nice real-time MPEG4@HL decoder, has anyone found any software yet that'll transcode the MPEG4/AVC to MPEG2. I know there will be a slight loss of quality, but if you keep the target bit rates high enough, it'll be minimal, but will allow us to watch the high def.

I'm quite happy to record the programmes, and let the PC transcode them overnight to watch the following day.
  • tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote:
    We are trying to find a box that is powerful enough to decode the streams in real time, and I'm sure someone will post the specs once they find out what's needed!

I will posts some results tonight.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all, I've been away for a few days - what's the deal with these new streams?

Are they still showing test cards? Can someone please upload us a TS sample when they start sending video.

DeCoder has just sent me a beta of DC-DVB Source that supports H.264.

I'm having problems getting it working with the Cyberlink decoder, can you give it a try:

http://www.dsp-worx.de/dcdvbsource_pre_0.1.7.zip

[disable DSM-CC parsing to boost performance]

Also, if you have a Terratec card [with the BDA driver] this also supports live viewing of H.264 channels:

http://supportuk.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=1205

Even if you don't have a TerraTec card you can use it to play transport stream dumps by using the file source tuning option:

Put TS file in: "/MyDocuments/MyVideos/TRP123456.TS"

Scan frequency: "123456"

BTW, as I spent all last week bugging Sub to add H.264 support to GB-PVR it would be nice if anyone could actually be bothered to test it with a live stream:

http://www.gbpvr.com/

I'm sure Sub would like some feed-back at some point...

tellytart1, thanks for the info.
    I hope you'll be giving TellyTart1 a suitable percentage of your profits!

http://www.bigbry.co.uk/

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BigBry-co-uk

:D
    Forum Member
    I hope you'll be giving TellyTart1 a suitable percentage of your profits!

http://www.bigbry.co.uk/

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BigBry-co-uk

It's zippo do do with that, this is 100% for me and the World Cup. I certainly don't think there's going to be a workable solution to put in the normal HTPC specs I build I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, I 'm just razzin you mate :D

I don't see people spending a grand on the kind of system you'd need to watch in real-time.

It's a shame there aren't any hardware decoders out yet. :(

Are you down near Crystal Palace or are you using a satellite dish?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    tellytart1 wrote:
    BTW, in the absence of a nice real-time MPEG4@HL decoder, has anyone found any software yet that'll transcode the MPEG4/AVC to MPEG2. I know there will be a slight loss of quality, but if you keep the target bit rates high enough, it'll be minimal, but will allow us to watch the high def.

I'm quite happy to record the programmes, and let the PC transcode them overnight to watch the following day.

Do any of the codecs that work slowly (Elecard, Nero etc.) work with TMPGEnc or similar?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Nick{D}vB wrote:
    DeCoder has just sent me a beta of DC-DVB Source that supports H.264.

I'm having problems getting it working with the Cyberlink decoder, can you give it a try:

http://www.dsp-worx.de/dcdvbsource_pre_0.1.7.zip

[disable DSM-CC parsing to boost performance]

Nick that's a Windows XP 64 bit app surely (looking at the name), do they have a 32 bit version?

P
    Forum Member
    Are you down near Crystal Palace or are you using a satellite dish?

Freeview but in a non-Freeview area and I'm 52 kilometres away from CP according to this;

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

I've got a flippin' massive loft aerial (over 7 feet long) which seems to do the job. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a flippin' massive loft aerial (over 7 feet long)

Don't the pigeons have no place to perch? :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Not in my loft I hope, it's a mouse only zone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick{D}vB wrote:
    BTW, as I spent all last week bugging Sub to add H.264 support to GB-PVR it would be nice if anyone could actually be bothered to test it with a live stream:

GBPVR just crashes for me whenever I try to view an HD source.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinnocchio wrote:
    Nick that's a Windows XP 64 bit app surely (looking at the name), do they have a 32 bit version?
    DC-DVB is 32bit, the TerraTec app is 32 or 64bit. The version in that link is for the T2 device but it works with any Terratec BDA driver or as a TS player with any card.
    Freeview but in a non-Freeview area and I'm 52 kilometres away from CP according to this;
    I think the Crystal Palace TX has about a 30 mile range for digital, so even though the trial mux is supposed to be reduced power you should be OK with that beast in the attic!
    tellytart1 wrote:
    GBPVR just crashes for me whenever I try to view an HD source.
    Thanks, I remember you gave it a crack a few days ago actually.

What sort of crash do you get? Can you send Sub some logs when you get a minute?

Has anyone else tried DC-DVB or GB-PVR for live viewing yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    danjb wrote:
    Hi all,

I know this has been made available before, but could someone possibly provide me a a short stream from the BBC HD Mutilplex. I want to investigate decoding solutions on the Mac?

Someone else is looking in to getting the stream using the iTele and MMInput drivers, so the decoding is gonna be the hard bit :-)

Thanks in advance.
    D.

I've tried this!

iTele found all the channels excluding the HD test signals on all scan settings.

Also read, to get the driver to support iTele, that MMinputs thing you install, yes it does mean iTele can scan and display SD channels, it also means your ****ed when you wanna go back to watching on the beautifal EyeTV cos its lost the driver, and im have trouble finding the replacement driver! Eeek!

Good job i had sweet f.a. on my mac cos im about to format it and put windows xp on it as well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    managed to get 22 fps on DVB-T...

I cannot check DVB-S as it's windy and cannot get a proper signal
    Forum Member
    Nick{D}vB wrote:

I tried it when u first mentioned i, it did not work at all on my system. kept crashing, and difficulty with tuning

p
    Forum Member
    tarzion wrote:
    managed to get 22 fps on DVB-T...

Impressive, what spec pc and what program/codec combination are you using

p