Options

A new low for Davina

AdsAds Posts: 37,059
Forum Member
Oh dear, never has such a lack of talent been so brutally exposed :D

Sourc: www.mediaguardian.co.uk (registration required)

Davina McCall's BBC1 chatshow has sunk to a new ratings low of 2.5 million, and propelled BBC1 to its worst-ever peak time performance.
The Big Brother presenter, who the BBC promised would bring some "Saturday night sparkle" to Wednesday nights, had an audience share of just 11%, according to unofficial overnight figures.

BBC1 had a peak time share of 14.8% between 6pm and 10.30pm, its worst-ever rating and half the 27.9% watching ITV last night.

Davina, which last night featured guests Jordan, Girls Aloud and Eamonn Holmes, narrowly escaped being beaten by BBC'2s Natural World, about the great apes of Congo. The BBC2 show had 2.3 million viewers, a 10% share.

But BBC1 was beaten by both ITV1's The Bill, with 6.6 million, and Channel 4's Relocation, Relocation, which had 3.7 million viewers.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I'm gutted for the beeb, cos I'm a fan. But it serves them right for sinking their money into an ill-conceived project for that vacuous, shouty airhead. Didn't they learn nothing from Graham Norton?
  • Options
    LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised at all.

She should just stick to BB, but even then she's getting a tad annoying on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is the BBC are paying her for this. Yet she is failing in the job to pull in viewers. Indeed she has sunk the BBC to their worst ever share. However, the BBC said they are sticking by Davina.

If any of us were useless at a job, would it not be reasonable to be expect to be sacked?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really cant stand that woman,so i think that it is just great that she is failing.SHe must be really good at BJ's to get any work at all.
    I do think she would be great as a Dalek though.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Like I said in the TV Burp thread I was at the Harry Hill recording last week and there were lots of digs at Davina (like how all the guests seem to be plugging BBC shows and you always switch over after 10 mins etc. etc.) but they were all cut - I guess they must have thought they were cheap shots, don't kick them when they're down, I guess!

Even between takes Harry said "Sorry, we seem to be saying lots of nasty things about Davina but actually it's a good show.. if you're 3 years old!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Davina but I kinda feel sorry for her and her sinking ship
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In her defence , I did think she was going to be a lot more cringemaking than she has been .

She has had some fairly good guests on so far .
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad thing is, it probably came as a big shock to her and the BBC that the show is not a hit.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't even realise it was on I was watching Kirsty and Phil. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's true. Their guest line up has been ok. So why aren't they getting the ratings??
  • Options
    the_charmed_onethe_charmed_one Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol its days are sooooooooooo numbered.
  • Options
    NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Put Wogan back on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt agree that the guest have been good,its just an old pals act.
    Where are the hollywood superstars or current sportstars who have done something noteworthy and interesting.
    You have seen the guests many times before.She is just churning out any old tat.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But why the BBC are not too surposed to care about ratings. yeah right
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think a lot of it might be to do with the fact that maybe people are used to watching chat shows on fridays and saturdays, and midweek primetime more for dramas.

my wife quite likes it - we've watched a couple, but not live - but on the telewest VOD thing - it's not that bad - does what it says on the tin - bit of lightweight banter. for that there's not that much wrong with davina - she's lively enough, keeps the chat going, is never lost for words....what do people actually expect?

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    sleepydove wrote:
    Their guest line up has been ok. So why aren't they getting the ratings??

It has to be down to one thing, Davina herself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely though the BBC could have a successful programme like this? Is it that it isn't well made, is it Davina, or is it the timeslot? Seaside bloody Rescue beat The Bill once in this timeslot, so why not Davina, or if not, who?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Well if this weeks figures were bad wait till next week when its on at 7pm right opposite Emmerdale and Coronation Street
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olympic19 wrote:
    Well if this weeks figures were bad wait till next week when its on at 7pm right opposite Emmerdale and Coronation Street

Strangely she done slightly better last week, when moved to 7pm against Corrie and Emmerdale for the football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Look at BBCs track record for taking C4 presenters and making them die as talk show hosts: Johnny Vaugh, Graham Norton and now Davina.

J Ross is their only success in this regard.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's not going to be dropped if thats what your suggesting.

It will at least run for the scheduled 8 episodes, and will probably be back for a second series in the autumn, even if they have to move it out of primetime.

For anyone that says this proves Davina is a failure, you are wrong. It proves that primetime chat shows do not work, and that the decision to drop them in the late 1980s was a good one. As for the presenter, I think you would be hard pushed to find one name that would have made that a success. Paul O'Grady is the only one I can think of. Even Jonathan Ross and Parkinson would struggle at 8pm on a Wednesday. Parkinson especially, someone who can only manage just over double Davina's ratings when he is in a great slot and has the prime minister as a guest.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,706
    Forum Member
    Orion wrote:
    Look at BBCs track record for taking C4 presenters and making them die as talk show hosts: Johnny Vaugh, Graham Norton and now Davina.

J Ross is their only success in this regard.

Agreed, there seems to be a certain style of presenter from Ch4 which just doesn't transfer well to the Beeb.

Jonathon Ross excepted, so perhaps he's better at his job than he gets credit for?

Watched the Davina show once, but it seemed too amateur and yes, old pals act for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, add Clive Anderson to my list. They get blanded out by the BBC.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the show was on any other night do you think it would do well? Wednesdays just seems like a dead night for TV I never really watch anything except when we had Lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centrino04 wrote:
    Well it's not going to be dropped if thats what your suggesting.

It will at least run for the scheduled 8 episodes, and will probably be back for a second series in the autumn, even if they have to move it out of primetime.

For anyone that says this proves Davina is a failure, you are wrong. It proves that primetime chat shows do not work, and that the decision to drop them in the late 1980s was a good one. As for the presenter, I think you would be hard pushed to find one name that would have made that a success. Paul O'Grady is the only one I can think of. Even Jonathan Ross and Parkinson would struggle at 8pm on a Wednesday. Parkinson especially, someone who can only manage just over double Davina's ratings when he is in a great slot and has the prime minister as a guest.

Well if it was just this, then maybe it's the format. But if I can draw your attention to her other failures (and these are just off the top of my head)

He's Having a Baby
    The Vault
    Don't Try This at Home

Four different formats. Different days and times. All bombed.