Options

Sky HD installers powerpoint presentation

Here's a link to a powerpoint presentation that is supposed to be for installation engineers to learn about the new HD Sky+ box.

Very interesting!

[Admin Edit - Sky have asked for links to this file to be removed]

G.

Comments

• Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    nice find interesting read nice one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Brilliant find. Makes it feel closer (even if it may not be!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wouldn't be surprised if everyone's gets installed wrong, I fell asleep just looking at it, the most boring presentation I've ever seen, and put together by a 5 year old by the looks of some of the pages!

good find tho, cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    why in gods name do they need to keep 140gb for 'future use'?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmace wrote:
    wouldn't be surprised if everyone's gets installed wrong, I fell asleep just looking at it, the most boring presentation I've ever seen, and put together by a 5 year old by the looks of some of the pages!

good find tho, cheers

I suspect most Sky installers scrawled down:

"as Sky+, clearer picture, force software update, call sky to upgrade for the HD channels"
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GazWhitu wrote:
    why in gods name do they need to keep 140gb for 'future use'?

I think thats a poor decision.

Even to give 250gb, leaving 50gb for future use would at least mean it offers a significant upgrade over Sky+ 160 (or a modded Sky+) in terms of PVR capability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    also 'Customers who have already purchased an HD Ready TV with a DVI connector will need to supply a suitable HDMI to DVI adaptor/HDMI to DVI cable that supports HDCP'

more cost for those with HDMI like me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The disk space thing could be an issue with only 160GB for actual use, as with the extra amount of data required to be stored (even though the compression is improved) the actual recording time will be below that of the current 160GB machine.

G.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GazWhitu wrote:
    also 'Customers who have already purchased an HD Ready TV with a DVI connector will need to supply a suitable HDMI to DVI adaptor/HDMI to DVI cable that supports HDCP'

more cost for those with HDMI like me.
    if you have HDMI then there's nothing needed it's if you have DVI on your TV that you need a connector, and they are under a tenner anyway

as for the 140Gb thing, I've heard it's for VoD services
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I see there is no digital coaxel output for audio, only optical. Bit of a miss there I think as a lot of people will probably have seperate sound systems and coax is the better of the two.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ib1-2 wrote:
    I see there is no digital coaxel output for audio, only optical. Bit of a miss there I think as a lot of people will probably have seperate sound systems and coax is the better of the two.
    The Sky+ has only had optical for years.

coax is not better than optical.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It is absolutely crucial that a software download is forced on EVERY installation or service call"

"If an old software version is running in a Sky HD box, then problems most definitely will occur"

If this is the training material it looks Sky's got more software problems, probably explains the long wait.

Also the installation doesn't look that hard, for those with Sky+ I'm supprised that the customers can't do it themselves but we'll probably be paying a installation fee for someone to press a few buttons and paying for Sky's mistakes.
  • Options
    Sweezely!Sweezely! Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best news is on the subscription page:
    By purchasing any of the DTH mix packages 2-6 the customer will receive 4 HD entertainment channels – Sky One HD, Artsworld HD, National Geographic HD and Discovery HD

If the customer chooses the Movies 1 package they will receive Sky Movies 9 in HD, and if they choose the Movies 2 package they will also receive Sky Movies 10 in HD

Choosing the Sports Mix package will give the customer Sky Sports HD

Additionally to get Sky+ functionality with any of the above combinations the customer will require a Sky+ subscription

This is handled, as it is now i.e. if they choose particular Sky Digital packages they will have the £10 a month fee waived

No extra subscription fee!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if thats the case i'll happily pay £300 for a box, WITHOUT thinking about it
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah re-read it (it's poorly worded), it means that if you have 2 premium channels as now then the sky+ fee is waived, it doesnt say that a HD fee will be waived.

It also doesnt say that there will be a HD fee in the first place though so who knows?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chriswatts wrote:
    ""If an old software version is running in a Sky HD box, then problems most definitely will occur"

If this is the training material it looks Sky's got more software problems, probably explains the long wait.

Youi may be right, but all I'd read into that is that HD boxes are in production and the version of the software which was current when production started has since been superceded. It's not surprising that software development is ongoing right up to launch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    There is DEFINITELY a subscription fee for HD I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Rd100Rd100 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what program do i need to view this document
  • Options
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Sweezely! wrote:
    The best news is on the subscription page:

No extra subscription fee!

What it's saying is you have to subscribe to Sports alongside the HD sub to get Sports HD. There is a HD sub - you can even only subscribe to that if you want to, but all you'll get is the SD FTA/FTV channels and the ability to order HD Box Office movies!

The only good thing is that if you don't want sports or movies, you only need subscribe to any 2 channel mixes and the HD sub to get the HD versions of Sky One, Artsworld, Nat Geo & Discovery.

Also to use the Sky+ functions there's the Sky+ sub, but as it is on the current system, if you have the top package you don't have to pay it.

Basically, just like Sky+, they've made it so it's only worthwhile if you've got the top package.
  • Options
    cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a HD sub - you can even only subscribe to that if you want to, but all you'll get is the SD FTA/FTV channels and the ability to order HD Box Office movies!
    And any FTA/FTV HD channels that may get added, such as BBC HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    So:

To watch via DVI or HDMI you must have HDCP (ie no DVI on early DVI projector/plamas).
    The octo LNB will be available but only fro people that can justify it.
    The sky HD box will be the most expensive sky product!

In general I think the presentation was good and fairly comprehensive!
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Excellent find. Thank you very much!
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Interesting what they say about the Octo LNBs. Sounds like theyre quite expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member