Options

Astra 1E seems really rather buggered

My CNBC Europe was starting to crumble again, and the analogues always been horribly sparkly, so I went up and poked the Astra 1 dish as much as I can - its a bit rusty, already.

Now, when I last twiddled the dish around a bit I was getting ~43-46 arbitary Comag percentages, enough to get a signal lock, on 1E and ~60% on most of the other birds. I'd dropped to 40-43% - not enough to stay stable - on 1E.

Its now back at about 43-46. The other channels ae 67-70, lowest non-1E is 58, highest is 76 (both solid). Only 1E fluctuates madly. The dish was clearly a bit off, but it hadn't moved itself or anything since last time.

Someone else mentioned 1E problems last night on technical: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=352354

Is it on very low power or drifting or what?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go and see what sort of relative reception I'm getting - mind you, it is raining steadily here in N.Yorks (and has been almost continuously since Tuesday - any S.E English friends very welcome to come up with buckets and take some water away!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've checked Rai Uno and CNBC: Thought they were a little lower than usual but trimmed the dish position and I have signals as high in strength and quality as always.

I know our locations are significantly different, but there appears to have been no degradation here at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, but is it noticably lower power than the other craft at 19E in the first place?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KianD wrote:
    OK, but is it noticably lower power than the other craft at 19E in the first place?

Yes, I believe it is - As you know, we watch Rai quite a bit (generally from 13E, but occasionally on 19e if it saves moving the Dish) and I generally find the 1E TPs to be among the weakest from 19E.

This is most noticeable in the mornings, so I tend to use that fact in my favour when tweaking the Dish.

Never had any problems with Lock in any conditions, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been rumours of problems with 1E for a while. SES has never admitted anything, but seeing a show secretive they are that is hardly surprising