Is Anthea Turner really so bad?

be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm certainly not defending Anthea, but I have to say that she seems no less talented or genuine than 'in' presenters like Holly Willoughby or Kate Thornton. Is she so despised and ridiculed because she has the cheek to stick around waaaay beyond the natural 'sell-by' date (35-ish) for a 'bubbly' blonde presenter?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's ok.
  • TalullahTalullah Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to remember her being a bit cheesy when she presented...but i dont dislike her..she is no worse than a lot of other presenters. I think it all went a bit down hill for her when she got married with that chocolate bar...the press attacked her for it as if she had commited murder or something!! :eek:
  • macsgirlmacsgirl Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm certainly not defending Anthea, but I have to say that she seems no less talented than 'in' presenters like Holly Willoughby or Kate Thornton. Is she so despised and ridiculed because she has the cheek to stick around waaaay beyond the natural 'sell-by' date (35-ish) for a 'bubbly' blonde presenter?

Think it probably goes back to the 'Princess Tippy-Toes' jibe by Eamonn Holmes. She also 'stole' her second husband from under his wife's nose and kicked her first husband into touch by doing so.
    It's nothing to do with her age, it's just the public perception of her isn't good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    its her voice that annoys me :mad:
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:
    Think it probably goes back to the 'Princess Tippy-Toes' jibe by Eamonn Holmes. She also 'stole' her second husband from under his wife's nose and kicked her first husband into touch by doing so.
    It's nothing to do with her age, it's just the public perception of her isn't good.
    I don't believe she would have been treated the same way had she done the same things at the height of her career. (Just look at how Ulrika's early career survived several scandals when she was still fairly young and pretty.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    lol my mum couldnt stand her she sed she was to fake altho i dont mind her
  • jericho_mpm2005jericho_mpm2005 Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to imagine she was a icon figure like the goldengirl of british tv & threw it all away for a bar of chocalate at her wedding.

thats all she will ever be remembered 4 flakegate
  • CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find her BBC3 show watchable and quite amusing (I loved the way she said this week:-'I'm from Stoke on Trent'!) but I don't think Anthea's a great presenter. Having said that there are many,many people on tv I dislike more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    in answer to the original qustion is La Turner that bad=no worse . i personally hated her since BP patronising self centered and not that good to say shes no worse than Holly Willoby is NO recomendation either .I just have to turn the Tv off everytime shes on screen i used to love watching GMTV though when she was on it .To see Eamon present through gritted teeth whilst the diva made yet another cock up god she was awful on that :eek:
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah gmtv went downhill rapidly after she left :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think she is ok as well although i dont watch her new program, did you see she was on Harry Hill last week, talk about a good sport.
  • lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's never done herself any favours. For some reason, tv execs marketed her as the tv golden girl. She was overpaid for a job she was unable to do. And if rumours and accusations are to be believed, she treated people pretty badly too. She was so far up her own backside she thought she could get away with anything. She went after someone else's bloke and when he chose his wife and kids over her, she upped the ante. Once she'd secured him, she sold the rights to their wedding and used the day as a means to advertise some tacky chocolate bar - finally sealing her fate. She deserves all the criticism that comes her way (and so does he).

In terms of presenting skills, I find that listening to her voice is the equivalent to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard. :eek: Rancid.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,012
    Forum Member
    I quite like her.
  • italo_caledoniaitalo_caledonia Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    lots2do wrote:
    She's never done herself any favours. For some reason, tv execs marketed her as the tv golden girl. She was overpaid for a job she was unable to do. And if rumours and accusations are to be believed, she treated people pretty badly too. She was so far up her own backside she thought she could get away with anything. She went after someone else's bloke and when he chose his wife and kids over her, she upped the ante. Once she'd secured him, she sold the rights to their wedding and used the day as a means to advertise some tacky chocolate bar - finally sealing her fate. She deserves all the criticism that comes her way (and so does he).

In terms of presenting skills, I find that listening to her voice is the equivalent to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard. :eek: Rancid.

I agree - people always refer to her as being a "talented presenter". She isn't, she just reads an autocue as well as the rest of them and looks okay.

Most of her career has been littered with ill-judged self-promotion, so really she is entirely deserving of all the ctriticism laid against her. Showbiz is well known to be a bitchy industry, frankly if you can't take the heat get out the kitchen.

Personally, she's pretty annoying - she's like an android programmed to "Bubbly +10"; a bit of a vacuous airhead I would say, does she even have a soul??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Yes, I've met her, she's ghastly. Completely took over a meeting and made ridiculous comments which other people just accepted because she was Anthea Turner. Like Jodie Marsh she's a professional victim.
  • FordCapriFordCapri Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe she would have been treated the same way had she done the same things at the height of her career. (Just look at how Ulrika's early career survived several scandals when she was still fairly young and pretty.)

Erm she was at the height of her fame wasn't she? I think she was an average TV presenter who got too big for her boots, made some crass professional decisions and won herself no favours by showing skant consideration for the wife and children she lured her now husband away from.
  • whitewitchwhitewitch Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i quite like her...she definitely has some good tips on housework...and her hair is always nice and flicky :)

On saying that, I could see how other people might find her a little patronising and holier than thou. Most people are like that where I come from, I suppose I have become immune.
  • acerspadesacerspades Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I prefer her sister, Wendy Turner-Webster!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    She's always annoyed me - the first Blue Peter presenters that I remember are Caron K, Yvette F and Mark Curry - a golden age! She was such a let down after them. Even John Leslie (I was 8) and Tim Vincent couldn't make up for her. Dislike has always carried over into post BP projects, and I just avoid her as she makes me want to throw things. Funny how your childhood perceptions can carry on into later life!
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    she seems to have improved lately, her last few TV appearances she seemed nice and normal...like on that celeb place in the sun she did...

but in the past shes been full of herself, and that eating chocolate on her wedding day stunt was awful.
  • diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her at least she stood up to that sexist pig eamon holmes
  • bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to imagine she was a icon figure like the goldengirl of british tv & threw it all away for a bar of chocalate at her wedding.

thats all she will ever be remembered 4 flakegate

Are we talking about Anne Diamond again :eek: :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,431
    Forum Member
    I must admit I could take her or leave her she really doesn't bother me.

As some one posted earlier, I think she was no worse than some of the presenters you get on the telly.

I remember buying two childrens books that she wrote, I think her sister did the illustrations.....The books were about mice on the underground, I know my daughter enjoyed them when she was younger.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A loathsome, grasping little woman with delusions of grandeur. Her and her asinine little twerp of a husband deserve each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A loathsome, grasping little woman with delusions of grandeur. Her and her asinine little twerp of a husband deserve each other.

Well said! :D She was lucky to make as much dosh as she did when she did. Anthea was just another pretty,bland blonde presenter. When she got too old (in ageist media terms), prettier, perkier and younger presenters wre inevitably going to snatch her crown. A credible journalist like Anna Ford by contrast, who was extremely beautiful, survived after her looks faded because she has genuine talent
    I find it amusing that her current show eulogies the virtues of the 1950s housewife. Perhaps Anthea should do a follow-up show harking back to the 1950s, when women who had affairs with married men and broke up marriages with underage children in, were scorned by all respectable people.Or would that be one trip down memory lane too far? ;)