Why are we so interested in celebrities lives?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This question may have been asked before, so sorry if it has but I've only recently ventured into the Showbiz forums :)

I admit I'm guilty of it too, or I wouldn't be in these forums at all :p

Why are people so interested in celebrity life? There's plenty of magazines, websites and TV programmes dedicated to it.

Could it be because of media influence that we're so interested in what celebrities are doing?

Or is it because their lives are so much more interesting than our everyday life? (I may just be speaking for myself here :p)

Also, why do some people put celebrities on a pedestal? They're just ordinary people, who live their life and make mistakes like everyone else. Right?! :confused:

Comments

• yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because they were previouly more inaccessible and there was a certain mystique about them. We'll probably reach saturation point soon and get over it. I stopped buying Heat this year and don't miss it at all. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote:
    I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because they were previouly more inaccessible and there was a certain mystique about them. We'll probably reach saturation point soon and get over it. I stopped buying Heat this year and don't miss it at all. :eek:

i don't by HEAT either, i find forums like this much more trustworthy and up to date on celeb gossip :D
  • OuchthathurtOuchthathurt Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first came on the forums because I was fascinated by some of the comments positive and negative being made by FM's on the showbiz forum.

I lurked for ages laughing my socks off at some of the more ridiculous arguments for and against a certain zeleb and a lot of the conversational snippets that were written by people like SBGQ (who is no longer on the forum alas) were both very witty, clever and showed great insight.

I am, I suppose, contributing to the general obsession by the public with zelebrities, but I confess that I neither read showbiz mags, nor do I buy a newspaper or read anything online about them. I am absolutely fascinated with some of the threads on here and my 'obsession' is more to do with goggling at some of the thread titles and the arguments inside than it is with the actualy subject of the thread. I find most zelebs rather tedious to be honest.

They get famous, they get loads of money for doing bugger all, their sexual exploits are spread across the page for all to see, we get their courtships, their marriages with the perennial effusive 'I am so in love, this is forever' cries, sometimes we get the births of the children (if they stay together long enough to have them) and then we get the boring longwinded crap over their breakups. Of course through ALL of this they remain wonderful, beautiful, thin and rich. Role models for all of us...

...not

Or should I say, not for me. :rolleyes: ;)
  • acerspadesacerspades Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I first came on the forums because I was fascinated by some of the comments positive and negative being made by FM's on the showbiz forum.

I lurked for ages laughing my socks off at some of the more ridiculous arguments for and against a certain zeleb and a lot of the conversational snippets that were written by people like SBGQ (who is no longer on the forum alas) were both very witty, clever and showed great insight.

I am, I suppose, contributing to the general obsession by the public with zelebrities, but I confess that I neither read showbiz mags, nor do I buy a newspaper or read anything online about them. I am absolutely fascinated with some of the threads on here and my 'obsession' is more to do with goggling at some of the thread titles and the arguments inside than it is with the actualy subject of the thread. I find most zelebs rather tedious to be honest.

They get famous, they get loads of money for doing bugger all, their sexual exploits are spread across the page for all to see, we get their courtships, their marriages with the perennial effusive 'I am so in love, this is forever' cries, sometimes we get the births of the children (if they stay together long enough to have them) and then we get the boring longwinded crap over their breakups. Of course through ALL of this they remain wonderful, beautiful, thin and rich. Role models for all of us...

...not

Or should I say, not for me. :rolleyes: ;)

Ouch, why aren't you looking up to these people? Your aspirations are so low! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always been interested in what REALLY goes on with the rich and famous...possibly one of the reasons when I was growing up that I preferred to read biographies on dead celebs...as the dead can't sue :D

Nowadays I prefer the internet for gossip. OK, so some of it isn't true, but I no more believe the airbrushed pictures, posed paparazzi shots and "approved" interviews you get in the so called "respectable" magazines either.

I also like the fact a lot of posters here are just as cynical as me about the media - many of them because they actually have experience of it :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we like to read about celebs and there goings on because it facinates people, what will they do next or what will there next outfit be. It's nice to have someone to idolise in the public eye too.
  • macsgirlmacsgirl Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pink chick wrote:
    I think we like to read about celebs and there goings on because it facinates people, what will they do next or what will there next outfit be. It's nice to have someone to idolise in the public eye too.

I don't idolise any of them - I've got better things to do with my life. :rolleyes:
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:
    I don't idolise any of them - I've got better things to do with my life. :rolleyes:

Me too!
    And I don't hate them either - if I were to hate anyone I'd save it for someone who I actually know or impacted more personally on me and mine.
    I also don't get the defend at all costs, believe everything they say in the face of all evidence to the contrary stance.
    There are people I quite like in the public eye (or the perception of themselve they put across ;) ) - but I'm pefectly prepared to have a laugh at them if they come out with something that sets the twaddle-meter quivering!
  • acerspadesacerspades Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote:
    Me too!
    And I don't hate them either - if I were to hate anyone I'd save it for someone who I actually know or impacted more personally on me and mine.
    I also don't get the defend at all costs, believe everything they say in the face of all evidence to the contrary stance.
    There are people I quite like in the public eye (or the perception of themselve they put across ;) ) - but I'm pefectly prepared to have a laugh at them if they come out with something that sets the twaddle-meter quivering!

that's it - it's the entertainment value of knowing they think too much of themselves and will mess up sooner or later!

I just like feeling superior!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:

Well good for you! But some people do idolise people in the public eye, i wasn't saying everyone does! :rolleyes:
  • Misty LooperMisty Looper Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    It makes our own feel better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pink chick wrote:
    But some people do idolise people in the public eye

I know you weren't pinkchick, but if you idolise someone who has no personal impact on your life it's a bit sad isn't it?

There are people I like, people I admire in public life, but I certainly don't idolise any of them - that's soooo teenage, and I passed my idolising days years back! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:
    I know you weren't pinkchick, but if you idolise someone who has no personal impact on your life it's a bit sad isn't it?

There are people I like, people I admire in public life, but I certainly don't idolise any of them - that's soooo teenage, and I passed my idolising days years back! :)

No i dont think it is sad at all. I dont idolise people now like i used to when i was younger, but i would still call madonna my idol because her music and attitude still has an affect on me now the same way it did ten years ago!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pink chick wrote:
    No i dont think it is sad at all.

Well you wouldn't because you're still very young.
    You'll look back on your life at 40 and think 'Did I really think/do that?'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:

Sorry i dont remember telling you how old i was!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pink chick wrote:
    Sorry i dont remember telling you how old i was!

Your attitude tells me you're about 17/18 no? 23 at a push. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:
    Your attitude tells me you're about 17/18 no? 23 at a push. :)

My attitude! Your very judgemental arent you? Im not any the ages you put down im well into my twentys thankyou! I dont see the issue about age myself but obviously you do, you can be any age to have an idol!
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:

I seem to remember falling out of love with celebrity quite young. I'd written to the Bay City Rollers (I know but I was very young) on hand-crafted tartan paper (it took ages) - and nothing in reply - not a sausage.

On the up side, it did 2 things - it stopped any hero worship that may have been lurking about, and it put me off manufactured boy bands for life! :D

(Still have the tartan scarf, though :o :eek: )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pink chick wrote:
    My attitude! Your very judgemental arent you? Im not any the ages you put down im well into my twentys thankyou! I dont see the issue about age myself but obviously you do, you can be any age to have an idol!

And you appear just a tad touchy!
    Lighten up! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    macsgirl wrote:
    And you appear just a tad touchy!
    Lighten up! :)

I was just getting my point across thats all! :)
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are we so interested in celebrities lives?

We aren't! Well, I have no interest in their lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boredom maybe... routine of own life getting people down.? Good excuse to get bitchy for no good reason....?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think that some people on here don't have lives of their own. The amount of times they post about some celeb or other is quite frightening. The way some people seem to be so obsessed with celebs to the extent of hating intensely or loving them intensely or taking sides when marriages break down is really rather sad.
  • WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    Because people are sad. I admire 'celebrities' who have achieved something in their field, and are recognised by their peers for that. As such I don't think of them as celebrities.

For example, I am a fan of Kate Winslet, as I admire her work and have done since Heavenly Creatures. Doesn't mean I have any interest in the gossip and stuff that you get in a lot of the celebrity magazines.

(I'm not a regular on this forum for that reason: I just saw this post linked from the homepage)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WillowFae wrote:
    Because people are sad. I admire 'celebrities' who have achieved something in their field, and are recognised by their peers for that. As such I don't think of them as celebrities.

For example, I am a fan of Kate Winslet, as I admire her work and have done since Heavenly Creatures. Doesn't mean I have any interest in the gossip and stuff that you get in a lot of the celebrity magazines.

(I'm not a regular on this forum for that reason: I just saw this post linked from the homepage)

People on the Showbiz forum are no more "sad" than people on any of the other forums here on DS, and I find it amazing that anyone who is a regular on DS forums feels the need to say other members have "no life" for discussing zelebs, whereas they have a life for discussing a TV programme, the position of their satellite dish, the latest local radio station, Big Brother or the last DVD they watched :rolleyes: