Options

For those CRT fans out there....guess what?

Looks like Samsung is shortly launching a £350 HD ready CRT!

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/other/europes_first_hd_ready_crt

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark200 wrote:
    Looks like Samsung is shortly launching a £350 HD ready CRT!

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/other/europes_first_hd_ready_crt

HDTV just got very affordable!
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another link :

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

looks good, and at that price the girlfriend won't complain :)
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Goddamit, I spent £290 on a 32" CRT two months ago, thinking of it as a stop-gap until the (unfortunate) inevitable having to change to HD LCD in a few years
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The technology has been around in the US for a couple of years, alas the problems with CRT such as convergence and geometry are not going to go away and there is certainly as much as a performance range amongst the HD CRT's as there is in the LCD and Plasma camp.

Just because it's CRT doesn't mean good pictures either SD or HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks great, if it does 720p and 1080i I'm buying one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks great, if it does 720p and 1080i I'm buying one.

So if it suffers from the extreme geometry issues the previous HD CRT slimline model from Samsung did that would not be important?
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    to think I forked out almost 900 for mine grrr
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    So if it suffers from the extreme geometry issues the previous HD CRT slimline model from Samsung did that would not be important?

The current SD slimfits are awful geometry-wise, and I understand there was an HD one (albeit not HD Ready, due to only component), but I think it converted 720p to 1080 before displaying. I'd guess these'll just be an update to encorporate full HD Ready compliance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well that's my next tv when my crt conks out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a big fat ugly CRT? No thanks, once you've had flat, there's not going back! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £350 compared £1000 ish

£350 wins out on spousal acceptance
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,184
    Forum Member
    the-tick wrote:
    £350 compared £1000 ish

£350 wins out on spousal acceptance
    £350 wins me as well! - would love a flat screen thingy - but with price tags of £900+ for one of those.... £350 wins chip and pin down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    considering our 28" sony cost us nigh on £500 5 years ago yay for the £350
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:

I'd probably look at it in a shop first.
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    partridge wrote:
    a big fat ugly CRT? No thanks, once you've had flat, there's not going back! :D
    Indeed.
    Why worry about inferior picture quality when you can have a nice looking box in your living room? :confused:
    And at least twice the price too!! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    Indeed.
    Why worry about inferior picture quality when you can have a nice looking box in your living room? :confused:
    And at least twice the price too!! :eek:

You obviously like bendy lines and colours that don't line up. Enjoy your CRT.

Chip
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote:
    You obviously like bendy lines and colours that don't line up. Enjoy your CRT.

Chip

better then buzzing and crap blacks.. for £350 it's a steal, think it's only 30inch though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The samsung is a 30" screen, but CRT rarely show the entire screen - as I discovered when I got my LCD, suddenly I had nearly an inch of extra picture on view!

That said, this crt is only 16" deep, which is impressive and at that price I can see it selling well, assuming it is a good tv.

Personally, I wouldn't go for CRT now that I'm used to my LCD. I find CRT's look "liney"

I have no buzzing, and blacks are black though I admit they can sometimes have a glow to them depending on what else is on the screen. Hardly an issue though, unless your some kind of lunatic nit picking snob. My LCD has an adjustable backlight anyway.

Samsung could be onto a winner here, but I wonder why they are the only company, so far, to pursue HD CRT.
  • Options
    sicknote10sicknote10 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are the only company over here that have announced that they are selling them
    if you check amazon.com you will find quite alot of models from companies like sony and panasonic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the american market has had hd crt for a while now
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a UK spec HD CRT, and its cheap. When I asked around here, people said that they wanted LCD or Plasma, the main reason being it was thinner, took less space, and that CRT was dead technology.

I dont think HD CRT is going to take off in the UK.

Dave
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jfman wrote:
    HDTV just got very affordable!

There have been sub-£500 LCD screens available, even largish samsungs!
    Samsung could be onto a winner here, but I wonder why they are the only company, so far, to pursue HD CRT.

As mentioned several times in the past, JVC apparently had a HD CRT model a few years back that was discontinued.

The main downside to this is that everything will be interlaced. However unless you're going to buy a 1080p display this will probably be the best picture available and at an amazing price. Thank god they're using the slim-CRT's. I think this will be a great stop gap until 1080p SED displays arrive, they will truely be the daddy of HDTV's
  • Options
    Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this certinly looks like my next TV at £350 it is a good entry level HDTV , it reminds me of the last big monochrome TV I saw in shop about 1979 It was a philips and I was amazed how small the crt was it was a 21'inch and was less than half the sise of a colour TV .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David(2) has a good point, all the big electrical outlets have been pushing aside their CRT's for flat screens.

Now they're supposed to promote a much cheaper CRT that can supposedly do HD just as well as the flat panels? It almost looks like a step backwards.
  • Options
    sicknote10sicknote10 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if this is marketed right, it could end up being a top seller, as its currently has no competition, and the nearest LCD of that size is 3x the price almost