Options

9200T to DVD using DVR-Studio Pro v1.11

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
Forum Member
Having wasted several DVD+R’s in the process of trial & error, I have successfully managed to create 3 good reproductions on DVD of programmes recorded on my 9200T.

I download the full product from the author’s web site http://www.haenlein-software.com/ , which can be used free for a 30 day trial.

The first programme that I tested was a 5 minute segment from the ITV1 News, the second, a 1hr programme from BBC1 (16:9) and the third, a 1hr programme from More 4 (4:3 with ad breaks).

In testing the software, I tried trimming the ends, cutting out ad breaks, and manually adding chapters. So far, I have not attempted to create a DVD with more that one programme on it.

When marking the in & out points (cuts) of the ad breaks, there is a button that allows you to delete the cuts before demuxing. If you click on this, a warning appears on screen telling you that this may cause problems when demuxing, then suggests leaving in the marked cuts and allowing the software to remove them automatically later in the process. I went with the software’s suggestion on 2 attempts and both times on DVD playback the cuts were automatically removed, but the audio went out of sync for the duration after the position of the first cut.

Unless anyone out there has had a successful reproduction using this software after cutting out ad breaks (please let us know if you have), I would recommend just trimming the ends, leaving in the ad breaks and manually adding chapters to quickly skip past the ads. You could edit out the ads on the PVR, but I haven’t tried.

Here are the procedures that I followed to successfully reproduce a programme on DVD (Media eLinker and DVR-Studio Pro have both been install on my PC):

Getting file from 9200T to PC

1. Set PVR to a channel showing black (no audio and video). I used channel 303.

2. Close all applications running on PC and launch “Media eLinker”.

3. Connect USB cable to PVR and PC. My cable was 1m.

4. Using Media eLinker, locate a recording on the PVR and transfer it to PC.

5. Once transfer has completed, close Media eLinker and disconnect USB cable.

6. Locate file on PC and rename, adding a .ts extension.

Using DVR-Studio Pro (unless otherwise stated below, I used all of the software’s default settings and values)

1. Launch DVR-Studio Pro.

2. Click File > Open , locate your programme’s file (.ts) and open.

3. Trim the ends of the recording (to your own preference) by marking START and END CUTS to remove unwanted material at the beginning and end of the recording.

4. Click the button labelled “Remove cuts in recording” then click “Yes” to continue and wait for the cuts to be removed.

5. Manually mark in position of “New Chapters” if required.

6. Click the button labelled “DVD Wizard”.

7. Leave all 3 steps checked (Demultiplexing / Editing, Creating VOB files, Burn DVD) then click Next.

8. Click Next past the “DVD Authoring” page.

9. Add a DVD Menu if you wish (I did using their templates, which are not great looking but are functional).

10. Click Next.

11. Only check the box labelled “Eject DVD automatically after writing”.

12. Insert a blank DVD+R into your DVD Writer.

13. Click Next.

14. The process begins and you will soon have your completed DVD…..

I have noticed from reading posts in other threads, that many people experience problems transferring files from the PVR to the PC using Media eLinker, as this software has no error checking capabilities. Files that have been corrupted will obviously have a negative effect on the DVD reproduction. In my testing, I must have been lucky by experiencing error-free file transfers.

The procedures that I have listed above are those which I have followed using my own experience and by doing so have successfully reproduced programmes on to DVD that I have recorded on my 9200T. They are only a suggested method for people wanting to use the software. You may use this software and find different methods that work equally well if not better. If so, please let us know.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    MartynL wrote:
    When marking the in & out points (cuts) of the ad breaks, there is a button that allows you to delete the cuts before demuxing. If you click on this, a warning appears on screen telling you that this may cause problems when demuxing, then suggests leaving in the marked cuts and allowing the software to remove them automatically later in the process. I went with the software’s suggestion on 2 attempts and both times on DVD playback the cuts were automatically removed, but the audio went out of sync for the duration after the position of the first cut.
    This is the reason so many of us recommend ProjectX, the most reliable way I've yet found for maintaining sync after cutting. DVB timestamps are a mess and need serious cleaning to keep sync, even when just demuxing. A faster tool for trimming ads is HDTV2MPEG, though it takes a little practice to get sound out of it correctly, seems to keep sync OK though.
    MartynL wrote:
    You could edit out the ads on the PVR, but I haven’t tried.[/b]
    Don't try this, the on PVR cutting WILL cause severe problems at the cutpoints. Do only very rough cuts you intend to tidy later, leaving a few seconds over. Otherwise prepare for picture breakup and sound dropouts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A faster tool for trimming ads is HDTV2MPEG, though it takes a little practice to get sound out of it correctly,
    Tell me about it. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    MartynL wrote:
    Unless anyone out there has had a successful reproduction using this software after cutting out ad breaks (please let us know if you have), I would recommend just trimming the ends, leaving in the ad breaks and manually adding chapters to quickly skip past the ads. You could edit out the ads on the PVR, but I haven’t tried.

I have been using DVR-Studio Pro for about 2 months now (yes, paid up!), and I think it's great. I have made about 15 DVD's, most of which are one film only, but a few are 2 or 3 items with a menu structure.
    I always remove adverts using DVR-Studio Pro if they are present. I generally set cut points for the start & end of each advert, then click on "new cutpoint" button (I may have the name slightly wrong) so that I can remove more adverts in one go. I continue this until I've gone thru the whole film, then generally save it back to disk (against the advice of the software) and subsequently burn it to DVD.
    The DVR-Studio Pro has failed on 1 movie (wizard of Oz), but the rest worked first time. Most of them have been watched, with no sync problems noticed.

I have noticed problems when using the humax to cut out adverts, and do not recommend this - the sound cuts in & out and is dreadfull for 5 seconds or so, but then does sync up after this.

I also set the PVR to a blank channel for elinker. I usually transfer several files in one go overnight. I noticed some dropout problems when I left my PC on with a background task (BBC climate model software), so I think the PC and the Humax must both be idling for the elinker to work properly.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No synch problems at all with DVR-Studio (I always edit out the ads but I don't resave). I have had problems with the Burn phase using the 1-step wizard, so I normally burn with CDBurnerXPPro, which I find more reliable than Nero!

Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had any problems with eLinker either - it doesn't seem to matter whether the Hummy's doing something else while it's downloading.

My top tip would be - always burn at less than the max speed of your burner/media.