Options

Hiren's Boot CD 7.9

gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is it?
Hiren's Boot CD is a special CD that can be booted on any PC (once it has been told to boot from CD ;) ). On it are a lot of extremely useful utilities that can fix, repair and solve many of the so called 'problems' people here seem to have and come to this forum with week after week after week. :yawn:

The CD contains various:
  • Hard disk, disk partitioning and disk cloning tools
  • MBR (Master Boot Record) and NTFS Ext2FS, Ext3FS (FileSystems) tools
  • Antivirus tools
  • Disk and data recovery tools
  • RAM (memory) testing tools
  • System information tools
  • BIOS / CMOS tools
  • Multimedia tools
  • Password tools
  • DOS File Managers
  • Windows tools
  • and more
The full list is actually much longer than this, I have condensed it quite a bit. You will be impressed.

That's a lot of stuff, it must be massive though?
No, it's only about 61 MB ! It can even put on a USB memory stick!

Sounds good. Where can I get it from exactly?
I don't think I am allowed to say here where it can be obtained from (have a look around :) ). Any PMs to me asking will be ignored. The same goes for any messages asking how to burn, boot or use any of the applications on the CD. There's a very popular search engine that might help locate it and how to use it.

I estimate Hiren's Boot CD could help or solve 80 - 95% of the problems people have in this forum. I thoroughly recommend you at least investigate if it could be useful to you.

Burn it on 10 pence CD and keep it safe somewhere. You never know, it just might save your life one day...

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, used one of these in the past, and it saved my bacon. And possibly the sausages too :D

Go for it people. Well worth the download.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another similar idea is found at ubcd4win.com. This uses your Windows XP source files to create a bootable Windows XP CD which has a lot of similar tools on it.

It's been a lifesaver for me just for the tool which resets local admin passwords.
  • Options
    TheOneEyeTheOneEye Posts: 3,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I have downloaded the zip file and unpacked it but how do I make it a bootable cd? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    TheOneEye wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I have downloaded the zip file and unpacked it but how do I make it a bootable cd? :confused:

I assume that, using something like Nero, you use the "CD-ROM (Boot)" option and burn all the files that you unzipped?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that, using something like Nero, you use the "CD-ROM (Boot)" option and burn all the files that you unzipped?
    I get that bit but all the files are in folders and I dont just want them all dumped on the disk

Thanks

CQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should end up with just an ISO file that is 62,484 KB in size.

Just burn this ISO file to a blank CD-R using your usual CD burning software. There should be a option or setting somewhere to burn ISO images (or whatever) so have a look around. There are plenty of free CD burning software could easily do the job. I used DVD Decrypter.

I Googled 'burn ISO' and ended up here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should end up with just an ISO file that is 62,484 KB in size.

Just burn this ISO file to a blank CD-R using your usual CD burning software. There should be a option or setting somewhere to burn ISO images (or whatever) so have a look around (Google: ISO burn). There are plenty of free CD burning software could easily do the job. I used DVD Decrypter.

The files I have are not an ISO file so I may have to look for a different version

Thanks Mate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try looking for Hiren's BootCD 7.9 (with Boot and CD being one word). That should work! :cool:

Remember to scan the file for viruses before unRARing. Don't be alarmed by this statement - it's something you should be doing routinely anyway.

You may also come across a small keyboard patch for the ISO. Double click the .bat file and then press X. This then patches the ISO with the UK keyboard. It's no big deal if you don't or haven't patched the ISO (you haven't wasted a 10 pence blank disc, the CD can/could still save your life) as there's only a few minor differences between the UK and US keyboards (pound sign, etc).
  • Options
    naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I use for burning CDs under Windows

http://www.paehl-info.de/cdr/

Easy burning
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't Hiren's Boot CD use software without the copyright holder's permission?

I am sure a version I looked at a while back had certain AV software on there without it being purchased.

Not trying to turn this in to a legal / illegal debate, but wondering if this is still the case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not for me to say. But if your PC is totally stuffed or won't boot properly and this CD saves your life, it's got to count for something. A lot of people come to this forum when they've lost important data. They're usually very desparate and will do anything to get it back. A 10 pence CD could just do that.

Also many people in this forum keep asking the same questions over and over again, week after week after week. eg I've got a virus, my PC won't start, how do I format or partition my hard drive, how do I add another hard drive, blah, blah, blah. :yawn: Hiren's Boot CD is a one stop shop, Swiss Army Knife that's got all the tools needed. The choice whether to use it or not is the user's. I've got mine so I'm alright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote:
    Doesn't Hiren's Boot CD use software without the copyright holder's permission?

I am sure a version I looked at a while back had certain AV software on there without it being purchased.

Not trying to turn this in to a legal / illegal debate, but wondering if this is still the case?
    Yes, there's plenty of warez on there.
    It's still one hell of a useful disc though.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pingu wrote:
    Yes, there's plenty of warez on there.
    It's still one hell of a useful disc though.
    Hmm.. I don't agree with pirated software, but like I said I don't want to turn this in to a right and wrong argument thread.

I'll stick to using other stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me neither - but if one of the tools on the disc saved my ass, I'd buy it.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    seriously, where the hell is the download link????

i mean i'm on the frikin site where is the actual download??? :confused::confused::confused: :mad: :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote:

i mean i'm on the frikin site where is the actual download??? :confused::confused::confused: :mad: :confused::confused:
    Try looking for Hiren's BootCD 7.9 (with Boot and CD being one word). That should work! :cool:
    See post #9 above. It's quite easy to find. Try Google or Dogpile.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote:

They obviously can't distribute from their ISP's webspace because of the content.

Try here: http://www.mininova.org/tor/245596
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Pingu wrote:
    They obviously can't distribute from their ISP's webspace because of the content.

Try here: http://www.mininova.org/tor/245596

I don't imagine ntlworld would be too happy about the content they have TBH....

since my new setup i have thus far avoided using torrents.

<skulks off to find laptop, patch cable and crawl around by the router>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogpile.com "Hiren's BootCD 7.9". First link has it. The link there is working (just tested it and virus tested the RAR. The file size of the ISO matches the figure given in post #7 above).
  • Options
    t1mmybt1mmyb Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not use a Linux live CD (eg Ubuntu) and avoid copyright infringement?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what does it exactly do. Like i see acronis true image on it. It can't be the whole program so is it the start up disk which you would get when you purchase acronis full package for say £30. I don't suppose it's much good me trying to download it cos i ain't got a clue what it is. I'm going to get a external hard drive with acronis 9 software so will that do me for when my pc crashes and i need a recovery from the image on my external hard drive :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Footsore wrote:
    So what does it exactly do. Like i see acronis true image on it. It can't be the whole program so is it the start up disk which you would get when you purchase acronis full package for say £30. I don't suppose it's much good me trying to download it cos i ain't got a clue what it is. I'm going to get a external hard drive with acronis 9 software so will that do me for when my pc crashes and i need a recovery from the image on my external hard drive :confused:
    As mentioned in the thread, the commercial software included on it are used without permission.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it DOS or can anyone operate it :D
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I thought I would have a look at this out of curiosity. That then meant that I to download WINRAR to "unrar" it. It's another of these bloody programs that takes over your computer so that all my .zip files then had THEIR icon! - I wouldn't have minded just the .rar files.. Needless to say I have now scrubbed everything and invoked Seattle's restore - gone back to where I was three days ago! The CD I made is a bit weird also - that seems to need to unrar its component parts, even when they are .exe. Stick to legal stuff - there is a lot of it about, a lot free and a lot inexpensive - and they work properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesE wrote:
    ... download WINRAR to "unrar" it. It's another of these bloody programs that takes over your computer so that all my .zip files then had THEIR icon! - I wouldn't have minded just the .rar files..
    RAR is a very popular compression on the internet. I'm surprised you're not aware of it. WinRAR also does ZIP as well. To stop it changing the ZIP icons goto Options -> Settings -> Integration. From there you can select which files are associated with WinRAR.
    JamesE wrote:
    Needless to say I have now scrubbed everything and invoked Seattle's restore - gone back to where I was three days ago!
    There was no need to panic! :eek: :rolleyes:
    JamesE wrote:
    The CD I made is a bit weird also - that seems to need to unrar its component parts, even when they are .exe.
    You did try to boot from the CD didn't you and not just double click and run them from within Windows? Tip: It's a Boot CD. :rolleyes: Did the ISO have the exact file size as given in post #7 ?
    JamesE wrote:
    Stick to legal stuff - there is a lot of it about, a lot free and a lot inexpensive - and they work properly.
    This works properly too.