Options

downloading update

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
Forum Member
In anticipation of an update in the near future I looked at th Humax download web site and found that there are 2 alternatives namely WDN4aok or NEO. How does one establish which one applies?

Are there any other wrinkles I should be aware of before attempting to download?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David,
    I have only ever used Formula for Neo.

You will need to have your PVR turned off at the switch at the back of the unit before doing the manual update. If you need to move your PVR to PC, you can disconnect all the cables plugged into the PVR and leave them in place where they are, as you only need the PVR and for it to be plugged into the mains and the cable connecting the PC to the PVR.

Then connect the null modem cable (female to female) the serial port on the PC/Laptop/port replicator and the other end to the PVR.

Start Formula For Neo and select the 'STB' drop down menu at the top. From the drop down menu select 'Download Firmware'. You will then be presented with a box where you choose which file on your computer to load onto the PVR. Navigate in that box to the PGXTF10004_all.hdf file you saved on your machine - mine was saved to the desktop.
    Once you double click on that selection or highlight the file and pressed OK, the tool immediately tries to see the PVR through the serial port. This is when you switch on the PVR fromthe back. You have to switch on the PVR from the back faily quickly after selecting the update file on the computer as it only waits about 10 seconds before it time outs if the PVR isnt seen.

What happens next is the tool tansfers the newsoftware onto the PVR and there is a progress indicator on the PVR itself and a progress bar in the tool on the PC. When its finished doing everything the PVR will have the word END on it.

At this point I start the PVR again and it wakes up enough to find the time and then goes back into standby and is ready for use.

It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to do.

I always reset to facory defaults as the first thing I do after a software update out of habit. Note this will clear your timers so make a seporate list if you will not remember them!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only ever used the Wdn4oak tool, but it is much the same as above:

Start Wdn4oak, click on the folder next to file information, and browse to the place you have saved the new software.

Then it just a matter of clicking download, and the same happens as Marc has described in the above post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Thank you both. Does this mean that it is an either or situation? I was concerned that I did not seem able to identify which one to use.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It all depends on which program will work on your computer.
    If one doesnt work then try the other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do updates to the machine come through a website? Well, I mean, would I download to a PC and then manually update my box via the USB cable? Do they not send updates "magically" to the box? :o

If I have to update it myself, how do I know when it needs updating? Do I have to keep checking a Humax website? Or is just when I get fed up with "features"?

I've only had my box a fortnight but I'm really pleased with it. I put it on standby whenever I'm switching the telly off for more than half an hour, so I don't know if I've not had lockups because of this or pure luck.

Lilly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Lilly wrote:
    Do updates to the machine come through a website? Well, I mean, would I download to a PC and then manually update my box via the USB cable? Do they not send updates "magically" to the box? :o

If I have to update it myself, how do I know when it needs updating? Do I have to keep checking a Humax website? Or is just when I get fed up with "features"?

I've only had my box a fortnight but I'm really pleased with it. I put it on standby whenever I'm switching the telly off for more than half an hour, so I don't know if I've not had lockups because of this or pure luck.

Lilly

It's ok Lilly, the same update will be "magically" broadcast(Over The Air), as soon as Humax get a free broadcasting slot.
    You do not have to do it via the PC, you may just have to wait a bit longer.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/

Follow this link which will explain the process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Lilly,
    The over the air (OTA) update will enable you to receive the update without having to connect your machine to a computer. It will take place over broadcasts.

The default setting on the PVR is for it to wake up every morning at 04:00 if your unit is in standby - say if you were away on holiday. Or while your machine is on a TV channel and there is an update available OTA the machine will pick it up. Might be woth people double checking their settings for updates in their memu settings.

Usually, updates are made available on Humaxs website as soon as they are available and more often then not this will be before an OTA update because the trasmition of the software over the air waves needs to be booked in usually weeks in advance with the DTG. Check the DTG website for their schedule from time to time or here.

It looks as though the fix for the lockups will be available from the Humax website from tomorrow. In this case you can do it yourselfwithout having to wait for the OTA, if you are able to download the new software onto your computer, and from your computer use a tool to update your PVR via a cable connection.

Once Humax have been able to get confirmation from the DTG about when they can broadcast the lockups fix over the airwaves they will put a note up on their web site most probably but it will also be communitated here too no doubt.

EDIT: opps just seen the other post sinse your note!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    The site that lists OTA downloads for the coming week or so is http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl
    You'll get your hands on an update much faster via the PC route but it does mean unplugging your 9200 and carrying it to the PC (unless you've got a laptop of course).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) Phew! Thanks everyone for answering my query! I was worried about having to manually update on SO many levels :rolleyes: ! Not least because I'd need a blummin long USB cable to reach from my PC to my telly!!!

Thanks everyone
    Lilly :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Lilly wrote:
    :) Phew! Thanks everyone for answering my query! I was worried about having to manually update on SO many levels :rolleyes: ! Not least because I'd need a blummin long USB cable to reach from my PC to my telly!!!

Thanks everyone
    Lilly :D

Just in case you finish up deciding to do it the PC way what you will need is either a null modem RS-232 cable (which is what the system is designed to use - but you need to check that you've got an RS-232 connection on your PC) or a USB to RS-232 cable using the USB port on the PC and the RS-232 connection on the back of the 9200. The USB to USB connection is only for transferring MP3 or Digital pictures not for software.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Lilly wrote:
    Not least because I'd need a blummin long USB cable to reach from my PC to my telly!!!
    Doesn't work with USB anyway and the 99p RS232 cable you will need seems hard to find without a £5 postage charge and several days delivery time, or £10-20 handed to high street fleecers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Doesn't work with USB anyway and the 99p RS232 cable you will need seems hard to find without a £5 postage charge and several days delivery time, or £10-20 handed to high street fleecers.

I got my lead from ebay from a seller called Cablestar.

Was only 99p plus 99p delivery and arrived next day!

Hope this might help

Steve
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveNotts wrote:
    I got my lead from ebay from a seller called Cablestar.

Was only 99p plus 99p delivery and arrived next day!
    Me too. I've bought a few things from Cablestar, and they've always provided excellent service and great value stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case you finish up deciding to do it the PC way what you will need is either a null modem RS-232 cable (which is what the system is designed to use - but you need to check that you've got an RS-232 connection on your PC) or a USB to RS-232 cable using the USB port on the PC and the RS-232 connection on the back of the 9200. The USB to USB connection is only for transferring MP3 or Digital pictures not for software.

Oh doh! Good job I said, then!!! Thanks again for the info - unless i have massively irritating problems, I'll be getting the "magic" upgrades.

Thank you very much, one and all! :)

Lilly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    FWIW, when I did my '00 to '01 update I used a USB-to-DB9 Male adaptor cable and a null-modem cable. The laptop I used runs XP Pro Sp2 and doesn't have a DB9 serial port.

I think I used Wdn4oak.

Hope this helps, Tim.
  • Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    fudge1200 wrote:
    FWIW, when I did my '00 to '01 update I used a USB-to-DB9 Male adaptor cable and a null-modem cable. The laptop I used runs XP Pro Sp2 and doesn't have a DB9 serial port.

I think I used Wdn4oak.

Hope this helps, Tim.

A bit Off-Topic - but can you load mp3s via RS232?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave the answer is no
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, my 99p Cablestar null modem cable arrived this morning. So where's the damn update? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    sdc395 wrote:
    Well, my 99p Cablestar null modem cable arrived this morning. So where's the damn update? :confused:

Perhaps it was Humax's idea of a April Fools joke. Or maybe it will appear after midday once they had their laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Seems strange that the Humax site only lists PGXTF 1.00.01 and not the new version, does anyone know where you can download the newest version?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    russd1978 wrote:
    Seems strange that the Humax site only lists PGXTF 1.00.01 and not the new version, does anyone know where you can download the newest version?

That is the "newest" version. Unless you are one of the favoured few that is.
  • Options
    PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajp558 wrote:

I wouldnt quite call them the favoured few, true they do get the latest updates before everybody else, but they also get the beta's which can introduce as many problems as they create and as we all know installing beta software can in extreme circumstances leave your equipment useless. A risk that not everybody is willing to take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The version we got for testing is obviously now prerelease version. Any flaws found in it get reported so that it doesnt affect ordinary customers. Needless to say, the one that will be released will be a verion that addresses the comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    ajp558 wrote:

No mate, the newest version being broadcast OTA in a few days is 1.00.04 - so why not make it available for download on the Humax site?