Options

Streaming no more allowed!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
Forum Member
Is it true that from tomorrow night we won't be allowed to listen to UK radio from abroad?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djzj wrote:
    Is it true that from tomorrow night we won't be allowed to listen to UK radio from abroad? :cry:
    Not quite. But in effect it is. (if that doesn't seem contradictory :confused: )

The various bodies controlling copyright and the paynments that radio stations have to make to play music have decided that if you want to stream to listeners outside the UK then you will have to pay extra.

Many stations have therefore taken the view that rather than pay extra they will restrict their streams to UK residents. Though most seem to be doing so by asking for a postcode input if they detect your IP address as being non UK.

I'm sure there is a work around for that .......;)
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote:
    Not quite. But in effect it is. (if that doesn't seem contradictory :confused: )

The various bodies controlling copyright and the paynments that radio stations have to make to play music have decided that if you want to stream to listeners outside the UK then you will have to pay extra.

Many stations have therefore taken the view that rather than pay extra they will restrict their streams to UK residents. Though most seem to be doing so by asking for a postcode input if they detect your IP address as being non UK.

I'm sure there is a work around for that .......;)

Is there going to be a problem with downloading foreign radio in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote:
    Is there going to be a problem with downloading foreign radio in the UK?
    Probably not. It is a PRS/PPL thing so should only apply to UK based services that pay fees to those bodies.
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote:

Many stations have therefore taken the view that rather than pay extra they will restrict their streams to UK residents.
    This is not quite the whole story; it's not an additional premium paid to PPL to broadcast outside the UK; they are requiring stations to buy individual licences for each country they broadcast to.

Given that there are more than 100 countries in the world, and each of these licences will have associated red tape and rules (which may be mutually incompatible), this is totally impossible in practical terms. Each licence will also have a cost, which will have been set assuming that it would be the only fee that each station would pay, not one fee of 100+. It is an outright ban on international streaming out of the UK by the back door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Will it be allowed/ethical for some smart cookie to figure out and post a way for those of us not in the country to keep listening...?
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theoretically, I could route myself through one of the many proxy servers available to 'hide my ass'.

I in no way condone or advocate breaking the law however.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smorris wrote:
    This is not quite the whole story; it's not an additional premium paid to PPL to broadcast outside the UK; they are requiring stations to buy individual licences for each country they broadcast to.

If that's true, then as you said that's just a total ban. No radio station (except maybe one that targets an international audience like the World Service) would ever go to the bother of obtaining a licence for each and every single country in the world.

But... how exactly do they have any jurisdiction to force people to take out licences in foreign countries? Surely it's up to the foreign country to

And more importantly, why the heck would they do this? What possible advantage is there in banning UK stations from streaming abroad? All that will happen is people abroad will listen to stations from other countries, and there's plenty of other English-language stations out there. I regularly listen to a Japanese English-language station for example.

These two things make me think there must be something more to it than just wanting a ban on international stations in the UK.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first saw this page I honestly thought it was a good idea to restrict UK broadcasting to the UK unless otherwise licenced...

HOWEVER

I think that it's a stupid burocatic (sp?) decision from this nanny state. As long as the relevant artists are paid for their work to be aired I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be proud to have the world listening to our broadcasts.
    The only exception to this I belive should be the BBC stations as they are paid by the licence fee forced** upon UK viewers and should be available via subscription.

**I fully support the licence fee.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An extra thought also occours -

In this current climate where the UK and US are apperantly world enemy No. 1, though this is another argument and one which I don't aggree) Why would any sane goverment :rolleyes: wont to restrict it's countries output to the world.
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    colly_tyg wrote:
    Theoretically, I could route myself through one of the many proxy servers available to 'hide my ass'.

I in no way condone or advocate breaking the law however.

hmmm. most pple can find a UK postcode from abroad. i think it will be turned into something like the BBC version. i tried to listen to radio 5 from the US and they blocked it cuz of my IP address or ISP. however it was done it wasnt a postcode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote:
    When I first saw this page I honestly thought it was a good idea to restrict UK broadcasting to the UK unless otherwise licenced...

HOWEVER

I think that it's a stupid burocatic (sp?) decision from this nanny state. As long as the relevant artists are paid for their work to be aired I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be proud to have the world listening to our broadcasts.
    The only exception to this I belive should be the BBC stations as they are paid by the licence fee forced** upon UK viewers and should be available via subscription.

**I fully support the licence fee.
    The BBC may well be exempt from this anyway as they have a different licencing scheme to the commercial broadcasters.

Basically it boils down to how broadcast rights for radio and internet streaming are licenced. The PPL have decided that they are only authorised to licence streams to the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm. most pple can find a UK postcode from abroad. i think it will be turned into something like the BBC version. i tried to listen to radio 5 from the US and they blocked it cuz of my IP address or ISP. however it was done it wasnt a postcode
    Yes, certain media groups are doing this. CN group are reported as blocking IP addresses.

Many independent stations that cannot afford the technology and expensive additional web design required to do this will most likely cease streaming altogether.

I notice Resonance FM, the alternative/arts station from London, now come up "Stream not available" for me. Coincidence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote:
    The PPL have decided that they are only authorised to licence streams to the UK.
    But they have also decided to take up the cause of forcing UK stations to pay licence fees to foreign countries' copyright agencies. Fees that they are not asking for.

Why would they do this?

I think they want to kill internet radio. They see it as a threat to the status quo.
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    smorris wrote:
    I notice Resonance FM, the alternative/arts station from London, now come up "Stream not available" for me. Coincidence?

Same for me. none of their streams seem to work. WM Player and Real both can't do it

Edit: i just phone them up and they are doing some studio upgrades or something. Stream will be running from 1200 Hrs saturday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smorris wrote:
    But they have also decided to take up the cause of forcing UK stations to pay licence fees to foreign countries' copyright agencies. Fees that they are not asking for.

Why would they do this?

I think they want to kill internet radio. They see it as a threat to the status quo.
    Not sure "forcing UK stations to pay licence fees to foreign countries' copyright agencies" is the correct description. From what I have seen the CRCA and PPL have made stations aware that the PPL can only licence UK streams and that if any station wishes to stream outside of the UK they will require a licence from the appropriate rights agency.

Must say though that is next to impossible to find any information about this on either organisations websites (at least in the public areas anyway).

And I don't think there is any intention to kill internet radio. Why would they? After all it is another revenue stream so why would they wish to close it off? Well the CRCA may see it as a threat of some kind but I doubt PPL have any problems with internet broadcasting as long as they get the fees.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably this will affect the proposed long-wave station from the Isle Of Man as it is specifically intended to broadcast to countries outside the UK but it must be subject to UK copyright law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    Presumably this will affect the proposed long-wave station from the Isle Of Man as it is specifically intended to broadcast to countries outside the UK but it must be subject to UK copyright law.
    Not sure it will - bearing in mind the Isle of Man is not part of the UK.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote:
    Not sure it will - bearing in mind the Isle of Man is not part of the UK.
    I don't honestly know the answer, but I would have thought that UK licence agreements for CDs, DVDs etc also applied to the IoM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    I don't honestly know the answer, but I would have thought that UK licence agreements for CDs, DVDs etc also applied to the IoM.
    The Isle of Man is not part of the UK (or the EU for that matter) so it is very unlikely that any UK licence applies there.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/generalinformation/constitution&legal.shtml
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Zeropoint1 wrote:
    I think that it's a stupid burocatic (sp?) decision from this nanny state.

Nothing to do with the state, PPL/PRS aren't government agencies
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    smorris wrote:

Not quite correct. You can apply for an Internet licence based upon the number of concurrent streams you are operating. It would be impossible to be broadcasting to 100 countries similtaneously if you only operate 20 concurrent streams.

If you wish to broadcast outside of the UK on an Internet Simulcast, you have to apply for an Internet Station licence from the PPL. http://www.ppluk.com/
    The costs aren't massive (approx £60 a month) but the conditions include reporting station output, usage etc. which I reckon most stations won't want to be bothered with.

http://www.ppluk.com/ppl/ppl_lc.nsf/PDL/LicBroadcasting-Radio-Internet?OpenDocument

CRCA are offering an IP restricted service which will restrict audio streams to UK based ISP's only
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (post deleted)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite correct. You can apply for an Internet licence based upon the number of concurrent streams you are operating. It would be impossible to be broadcasting to 100 countries similtaneously if you only operate 20 concurrent streams.
    That's not the point: you still need a licence for any country where someone might connect to your stream from.

I admit PPL's website does not appear to say this; but the terms and conditions have only just changed, I believe.

The "webcasters" section certainly appears to reflect the previous policy rather than the policy as of April 1st.
  • Options
    norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about satellite radio.

Most of the radio stations available from Sky Digital (Astra 28.2 East) can be heard all over Europe, although some of the BBC radio channels are on Astra 2D which has a much tighter footprint than the other satellites at 28.2 East. But even these can be picked up in Europe with a bigger dish.

Satellite radio will be much more difficult to restrict.
    They could encrypt it instead of being free to air, but that would then be an extra cost to the broadcasters and would be a problem for people in the UK using satellite receivers without a Sky subscription card?

Tighter satellite footprint would just mean buying bigger dishes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    norderney wrote:
    What about satellite radio.

Most of the radio stations available from Sky Digital (Astra 28.2 East) can be heard all over Europe, although some of the BBC radio channels are on Astra 2D which has a much tighter footprint than the other satellites at 28.2 East. But even these can be picked up in Europe with a bigger dish.

Satellite radio will be much more difficult to restrict.
    They could encrypt it instead of being free to air, but that would then be an extra cost to the broadcasters and would be a problem for people in the UK using satellite receivers without a Sky subscription card?

Tighter satellite footprint would just mean buying bigger dishes.

This applies to INTERNET streaming ONLY!