CAUTION!!! Read this!

digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
Forum Member
Hi everyone

Right, today, we recieved a phone call from a company, explaining that they are from Sky and that our 'Repair Protection Plan' was due for renewal in May,l and if we ordered now we would get 2 months free. This isn't right, we thought. They asked to speak to a Mr. Stanley, but I was at work, so Mrs. Stanley told them that I wasn't in, could they ring back at 7.00pm tonight. They ended the call, and the Mrs went on a hunt for the Sky Repair Protection Plan details. It was not up for renewal until September 19th. So, she pressed 1471 (the number to find out who called), and got this number: 01512 901448. They answered, and said 'Hello, Nationwide' The Mrs was in shock. She slamed the phone down and rang up Sky immediately, but, there was a massive Queue (due to the systems upgrade). So, she waited until I got home, and told me the situation, and told me that they would be ringing back at 7.00pm. I was furious that someone has done this.

So, I will let you know what they say, but BEWARE! If they ask for a renewal, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM unless you know your renewal is expected now, and ask them to ring back, to prove that it is Sky, and not 'Nationwide'.

Does anyone know of this 'Nationwide' company? (I know of a large company called Nationwide, haven't a clue if it was them, or someone else.

The number doesn't even seem real: 01512 901448! A business would have probally an 0870 number, and something easy to remember like 404040.

Tom :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets be honest here - the repair plan isnt worth having anyway.
  • DRofThuganomicsDRofThuganomics Posts: 4,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a dialling code from Liverpool if that helps?
  • JosephGJosephG Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The code is actually 0151, and that's Liverpool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh! That's spooky
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a dialling code from Liverpool if that helps?
    Yeh, call them out and before you know it your house will be on bricks!

*legs it* :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While you answer the phone, there's a kid nicking the hubcaps off your car...
    Those amusing scallies with their bubble perms and natural sense of humour...
    Joins RabC in quick exit :rolleyes:
  • james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down Tom ;)

Regards James

Legging it even faster......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you'll be cancelling the scamsurance in September, Tom?
  • wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    lol surprised anyone has this insurance thing as its easy enough to get a new digibox etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    A business would have probally an 0870 number.

Any business that respects its' customers would not have an 0870 number - especially for Sales enquiries.

Just too expensive for the customer - 10p per minute from most landlines !
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number doesn't even seem real: 01512 901448!
    It's me ringing you, Tom, the renewal I was referring to was the renewal of your ability to use the "quote" function! :p
    (and to steal the hubcaps of your car! "alreet lah!"):D

Seriously, sign up to the telephone preference service and you shouldn't get calls like that ever again
    http://www.tpsonline.org/uk/tps/
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down Tom ;)

Regards James
    Just read part of their terms and conditions on their website....

Q. I have Grundig set-top box will you support it?

A. I am sorry we only support modern set-top boxes. In the event of your box failing we recommend replacing valves 3 & 4 and doing a test recording to your Betamax video.

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, there was a programme on the other night on BBC1, the chap on there seemed very excited about the Groundhog box...mind you it was the Antiques Roadshow and someone had come on with a six month old box that was working perfectly, and hadn't been kicked to buggery by frustrated owner.
    Likely to fetch upwards of 12 shillings!
  • digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    KianD wrote:
    I presume you'll be cancelling the scamsurance in September, Tom?

It depends: We are getting Sky+ very soon, and if nothing goes wrong in the few months that we will have it, then I will cancel. When the TV Link dies (about twice a yr), I will have to buy another one online.
    Rab C wrote:
    Just read part of their terms and conditions on their website....

Q. I have Grundig set-top box will you support it?

A. I am sorry we only support modern set-top boxes. In the event of your box failing we recommend replacing valves 3 & 4 and doing a test recording to your Betamax video.

;)

Very funny ;)

Calm down Tom ;)

Regards James

Legging it even faster......

Well, no sign of the phone call, maybe they will ring tonight.

Thanks for your support everyone, and I will let you know what happens
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Rab C wrote:
    Yeh, call them out and before you know it your house will be on bricks!

*legs it* :D
    Oi! I come from the 'pool originally. They'll actually nick the bricks as well! :D

The phone number is not a BT line so is rented from telewest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most 0870 numbers just sit over the top of a normal phone number. I used to work for a company with 0800 and 0870 numbers, but the outgoing ones always came up as the local numbers.

Unless it's Sky, Barclays or a big institute - I'd imagine they'd have a deal with the carrier to make the out going number the 0870 one...

By law, surely you have a 12 month warranty on the box? Everyone on here knows anyway that you can blag the installers call out, if you really want it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had Nationwide Digital Satellite junk mail as well but no phone call yet.
    I sent them a recorded delivery letter last year to ask them to remove my details from there computer and filing systems under section 11 of the data protection act. If they refuse or ignore this order they can be prosecuted by yourself and or the Information Commissioner's office (data protection whatchdog).
    The letter you need to send is below but make sure you send it recorded or signed for or they will tell you they have not received it! (change the details to your own):

The Data Protection Compliance Officer / The Company Secretary
    Nationwide Digital Satellite Warranty Services Ltd
    Unit 23, Capitol Trading Park
    Kirkby Bank Road
    Kirkby
    Liverpool L33 7SY

Dear Sir or Madam

RE: Notice under section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1988 to cease or not to begin processing personal data for the purposes of direct marketing.

I
    Your name of Your address , require you to cease processing personal data relating to me for the purposes of direct marketing as soon as possible and in any event within the next 28 days of this date of this letter. This is to include your entire group of companies if appropriate.

If you do not normally handle these requests for your organisation, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer or another appropriate office.

Please note that if you fail to comply with this notice, I can apply to the court for an order against you under section11 of the Data Protection Act 1988.

Yours faithfully

What anoyed me as well with this is where they were getting my info from as I also received other mail from warranty companies so I wrote to Sky using the same format to stop them passing on my details. I got a very nice letter back from them stating that the only warranty company approved by Sky is Domestic and General. Please tell sky what is going on and they can deal with it as it does show them in a bad light. Send the letter to:
    The Data Protection Compliance Officer / The Company Secretary
    British Sky Broadcasting Ltd
    Grant Way
    Isleworth
    Middlesex
    TW7 5QD

May be if we all complain about Nationwide and these other leeche warranty compaies they will clean up there act up or go and find something else to cover.

Hope this information helps you all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TPS works.. mostly. I rarely get sales calls.

Funnily enough I just got one yesterday :mad: (first in about a year) (coincidentally a few days after registering for Sky HD... hmm...). I'm kicking myself for not getting their details and reporting them... slammed the phone down too fast :p
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info sathelp :)
  • lesnar01lesnar01 Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think sky should cover all your equipment for free i mean u pay your sky bill and u need your equiptment working so u can view your sky tv and that way they r keeping there customers happy but i dout they will
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    A good way of dealing with unwanted, unsolicited calls is to put your phone on speaker-phone and carry on with what you were doing but pretend to be interested for as long as you can hold them. Make a cup of tea etc if bored.

When you have kept them as long as possible tell them you are not / were never interested and suggest that they learn from this experience that it's not pleasant to waste someone's time by making unwanted sales calls.

These companies expect you to be rude and hang up quickly so get them where it hurts and waste their own time by not hanging up quickly, let them think they are going to get loads of your hard earned money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously, sign up to the telephone preference service and you shouldn't get calls like that ever again

http://www.tpsonline.org/uk/tps/

I think you've made a mistake with the address, it should be
    www.tpsonline.org.uk

Note the .uk instead of /uk
    Forum Member
    skyuser6 wrote:
    A good way of dealing with unwanted, unsolicited calls is to put your phone on speaker-phone and carry on with what you were doing but pretend to be interested for as long as you can hold them. Make a cup of tea etc if bored.

When you have kept them as long as possible tell them you are not / were never interested and suggest that they learn from this experience that it's not pleasant to waste someone's time by making unwanted sales calls.

These companies expect you to be rude and hang up quickly so get them where it hurts and waste their own time by not hanging up quickly, let them think they are going to get loads of your hard earned money.

Thanks for the tip!

And we are already registered for the Telephone Preference Service. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you've made a mistake with the address, it should be
    www.tpsonline.org.uk
    Yes, I couldn't edit the post when I realised my error, thanks for the correction.
  • HemustvthemesHemustvthemes Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tip!

And we are already registered for the Telephone Preference Service. :)

I have the TPS from BT and we were getting calls still so I rang up BT and they said we will register you again as there are updates to the system and so far we have none!

*Touch wood!!*

hemustvthemes