Options

DVD/HD Recorders with DVB-T tuners

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
Forum Member
I am right in thinking that only Sony and Panasonic currently do a DVD Recorder WITH Hard Drive AND a built-in DVB-T (Freeview) tuner?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Can't think of any others off hand.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try looking at Humax
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote:
    Try looking at Humax
    And?

I've looked and looked but don't see an HDD based DVD recorder with DVB-T tuner there - what's the model number that you mean?

Cliff
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I misread the original post, sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    you can google for panasonic EH55/65, although they are EU models but they do have DVB-T tuner.
    You can alaways wait for the new pana UK modlels (sorry don't remeber the model numbers), which promise to have both DVB-T and freeview tuners.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    MANDM wrote:
    you can google for panasonic EH55/65, although they are EU models but they do have DVB-T tuner.
    You can alaways wait for the new pana UK modlels (sorry don't remeber the model numbers), which promise to have both DVB-T and freeview tuners.....

I thought DVB-T and Freeview were one and the same thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jamba wrote:
    I thought DVB-T and Freeview were one and the same thing?
    They are - I think what he meant to type was "DVB-T/FReeview and ANALOGUE tuners" perhaps ?

Cliff
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres some new Pioneer models due out very very soon and hopefully at least one will have a DTT tuner. Then waiting until they are released will have been worthwile!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    jeffersbnl wrote:
    Theres some new Pioneer models due out very very soon and hopefully at least one will have a DTT tuner. Then waiting until they are released will have been worthwile!

Any idea of exactly when
    very very soon
    is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two weeks? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    According to AV-LAND the new pioneer DVR-540HX with 160GB H/D plus dual tuner(one being analogue) is due in MAY 2006

See link for spec plus front/rear view
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr440/dvr440.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    tonic wrote:
    (one being analogue)
    Will it play my gramophone records and 8-track cartidges too?

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonic wrote:
    According to AV-LAND the new pioneer DVR-540HX with 160GB H/D plus dual tuner(one being analogue) is due in MAY 2006

See link for spec plus front/rear view
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr440/dvr440.htm
    That confirms what Pioneer told me when I phoned up today- you've linked to the 440 there, which I think is the same except has an 80gb HDD rather than 160gb. The 540 is here.

Only thing these are missing that I hoped they would have is HDMI output, but as long as they've got component thats not a huge loss. Excellent news about them having Freeview tuners, think other places will be a bit cheaper than avland once they get them, so they won't be much more than the current models. Glad I waited!

Although this Panasonic looks very tempting! Wonder what the price will be..... If it does the things the Pioneers currently do that the Panasonics don't- accept PAL 60 signals and record the 16:9 flags, I might just be temtped to get it instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    That confirms what Pioneer told me when I phoned up today- you've linked to the 440 there, which I think is the same except has an 80gb HDD rather than 160gb. The 540 is here.

Your right, sorry got the model numbers mixed up. Was at work at the time so should have been doing my job. :)

I wonder if the equivalent Panasonic models are a better option? Think I will wait until a few more manufactures bring out there model and decide then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Panasonic machines do seem to edge the Pioneer ones just about, mainly due to the HDMI output. (Apparently there will be some Pioneer machines with HDMI and Freeview but not until later in the year.) If I remember rightly on reviews of the current models the Panasonics just edge the Pioneers on picture quality, but its a close call, both having some excellent machines.

For now it seems to be a choice between whether you want the HDMI output of the Panasonic or the keeping of 16:9 flags and the ability to record PAL60 as NTSC that the Pioneers have (asuming they keep those facilities on the new models.) If the Panasonics had those two features there would be no question that, for me, Panasonic would win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought here but I can see how twin tuner HDD PVR's would be able to record two channels at once since it is just writing two files to disk and that's no great effort for a HDD. But DVD-R now? Is it possible to write two files simultaneously to a DVD-R? OK, some of the new ones have HDD as well so there is no problem but I was just curious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only DVD formats that allow any form of "two things at once" are DVD-RAM and DVD-RW in VR mode but as far as I know there can only be one read and one write operation to the disk at any time - whcih allows for chaseplay - but I don't think simultaneous writes are possible. For any real "two things at once" behaviour you really need a hard drive (which can in fact handle at least "eight things at once")

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, if a DVD recorder has no HDD there will never be the ability to record two channels at once? Unlikely to be twin tuners, then?

Does your Streamium play .ISO files, Cliff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup twin tuners and no HDD wouldn't make much sense apart from the "record one, watch one live" scenario I think.

As for .ISO I couldn't tell you. I pretty much gave up on trying to do anything with video as the 10ft (as the crow flies, crashing through the walls as he goes) between my router and my Streamium is too much for reliable video - so I just use it as a music streamer in fact.

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it have a wired ethernet port?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhubarbe wrote:
    Doesn't it have a wired ethernet port?
    Yup, and while the crow flying distance between router and streamium is 10ft the actual distances would be more like 30ft unless I start drilling holes in walls/ceilings which I don't fancy in a 300 year old cottage! Not sure how the current Mrs. L would feel about wires all over the place either! My best hope is for "Homeplug" to take off in a big way and drop to a sensible price. At the moment it's about £50 for a couple of plugs but I don't need video on the streamium that badly - almost all the "video" I have is recorded onto DVDs and it's just as easy to just pop a disc in the machine when I want to watch some video - so I'll wait for the price to drop some more when the supply/demand thing kicks in.

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of Homeplug Turbos: work very well. Yes, they were dear though.

I don't think that there is an ideal solution to what I want to do at present. Not at least without throwing silly amounts of money at an Infrant Ready NAS, and wouldn't you just know it - the said beast only takes SATA drives and I have 5 x 300GB IDE drives. Doh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    They are - I think what he meant to type was "DVB-T/FReeview and ANALOGUE tuners" perhaps ?

Cliff

thanks cliff for your clarification, thats exactly what i meant to type but obviously failed to ....