Samsung 32" LE32R74BDX/XEU Bordeaux II Freeview HD Ready Widescreen IDTV

HD Ready: Yes
Panel Type: S-PVA
Colour Gamut: 72%
Resolution: 1366x768
Brightness: 500 cd/2
Dynamic Contrast: Yes (5000:1)
Response Time: 8ms
Viewing angle (Degrees): 178°/178°(except 26")
Backlight: CCFL
Colour system: EU Mullti
Power: 220V/100-240V(CIS)
Output(Watt): 10W*2
Stereo: A2/NiCAM
Surround: SRS TruSurround XT
Speaker: Sound Waveguide Type
DNIe: Yes
Sleep Timer: Yes
Clock & On/Off timer: Yes
Still Picture: Yes
TTXT: Mega TTX(1000 Page)
Auto Channel Search: Yes
PIP: 1 Tuner
Auto Power Off: Yes
Auto Volume Leveller: Yes
Game Mode: Yes
Languages: EU 21EA
R/F: 1EA
Component(Y/Pb/Pr, L/R): 1EA
Scart: 2EA
S-Video, L/R: No
Headphone: No
Composite, L/R: No
HDMI (+ DVI Audio L/R): 1EA
PC D-sub ( + Mini Stereo ): 1EA
Monitor out, L/R: 1EA
Optical sound out: No
AnyNet (+ L/R): No
RS232C (for Service only): 1EA
Headphone: 1EA
S-Video: 1EA
Composite, L/R: 1EA
Front cabinet: Glossy
Back cabinet: Glossy
Tilt: No
Swivel (left/right): Yes (20°/20°)
Colour: Black/White
WMT: WMTL4001
Remote: TM86
Batteries, AAA type: 2EA
ANT- Cable: No
Power Cord (1.8M): 1EA
IB: 1EA
Operating: 15232"
Stand-By: Under 1W
SET(WXHXD) with Stand: 800x252x603
SET(WXHXD): 800x80x548.5
Weight: 15.6kg

As listed on Play.com

Thanks to the tip-off from AVForums.

Now, about the reliability...

Comments

• Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Phew good job i saw this - thanks. I was going to buy the R41 26" at the weekend, i think i will wait till this hits the shelves in 26" and get a good deal.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dixons/Currys price is £999 for the 26", £1049 for the 32" and £1599 for the 40". The picture of it I saw looked a lot like the R51, but it was only black and white.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Play.com now have specs and prices for the 26", 32" and 40"

Samsung 26" LE26R74BDX/XEU £780 delivered
    Samsung 32" LE32R74BDX/XEU Bordeaux II £850 delivered
    Samsung 40" LE40R74BDX/XEU £1550 delivered

All due for release on 17/4/2006.

Looking on Google will get you better prices. Still nothing on the Samsung site though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Review from CNET
    Samsung's last LCD TV range heralded the dawn of the flat-screen revolution, with fantastic picture quality, great styling and high-value pricing causing many to ditch their CRT TVs. But sadly their day has passed, and like all much-loved gadgets they must step aside for something newer and shinier. Samsung's new 'R7' range, which we ogled at CeBIT, will be on sale in April, with 32-inch, 37-inch and 40-inch flavours. There'll also be some of the white models pictured here, available in sizes of 26-inch and under.

Yes, they're white -- Samsung has gone all Apple on us. These sizes are clearly meant to be used in the kitchen and bedroom, and the lighter finish suggests a more playful departure from the Korean giant's usual serious black veneer. However, the black models are also looking much shinier than their predecessors, with a rich, piano-black finish and new hidden speaker panels. The speakers are tucked away at the bottom of the screen and fire downwards, reflected by a diagonal panel below. It was difficult to tell in the hustle and bustle of the show, but Crave's first impression was that Samsung promises a more enveloping aural experience.

New styling: check. Fancy speaker setups: check. Why else should we consider upgrading to the R7 range? Well, the response time of the LCD panels has been improved to 6ms, the perceived contrast ratio is a boastful 5,000:1, and there's a new 'game' picture setting that has been calibrated to make the most of your Xbox 360 experience. However, you may be spoiled for choice. There's a plethora of new LCD, plasma and rear-pro TVs heading our way from Samsung.
    You can even see a video here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just ordered a LE26R74BDX from 247AV. They sent me the official Samsung spec sheet, so PM me if you want a copy.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Samsung need to start considering a range of native 1080 panels. Otherwise they may find themselves falling behind the likes of Toshiba and Sharp.

Apart from that, these range of LCDs look very nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is the 26" version only rated at 3000:1 dynamic contrast compared to the 32" versions 5000:1 ? also, the play.com picture shows a blue bar at the bottom om the 26" version not silver.. why blue???

If the specs i have seen are correct then the 26" R6 version is near exact to the old R4 range apart from 8ms response.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Interesting - have been looking at the Samsungs for a bit as they seem to be the best HD screens in that price range.

Not knowing too much about LCD specs, is the difference in dynamic contrast between this and the previous models something to take notice of? It seems to be the only non-cosmetic difference, but how much of a difference to picture quality will it make?

I know that the higher the actual contrast ratio of the screen the better the picture, but with dynamic contrast does it also make a big improvement? (Or to put it another way, is it worth the extra 100 quid or so?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting - have been looking at the Samsungs for a bit as they seem to be the best HD screens in that price range.

Samsung do have a habit of doing this with there lcd's.
    I think you WILL notice a difference hear. I Just cant see why Samsung have 3000:1 on the 26" and 5000:1 on the lager screens, unless this is a mistake, the 26" R7 isn't much better than the old models. + the blue errr!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote:
    Samsung do have a habit of doing this with there lcd's.
    I think you WILL notice a difference hear. I Just cant see why Samsung have 3000:1 on the 26" and 5000:1 on the lager screens, unless this is a mistake, the 26" R7 isn't much better than the old models. + the blue errr!
    Differences between the LE26R41BD and the LE26R74BDX:
    - Contrast ratio up from 800:1 to 3000:1
    - Improved speakers
    - 8ms response time

And the bottom strip is silver not blue!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote:

Looking on Google will get you better prices. Still nothing on the Samsung site though.

just ordered the LE40R72BDX from lx direct with a 10 % voucher from uk hotdeals came to £1,259.99
    https://www.lxdirect.com/rf/navigation/product.do?Mis_item_id=15&D=333028728&SN=101%2085&Ntk=group_search&Mis_item_loc_id=1&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Nu=this_product&Nty=1&thisprod=326534069&SNtt=lcd%20samsung&groupId=333028728&Ntt=333028728&Dx=mode+matchall&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Np=1&N=101%2085&item=2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've ordered the 32" inch model from play.com. Thanks to everyone, especially Stig, for helping me make my mind up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new 'R74 models aren't listed on Samsungs website yet, but you can download the manuals!

There is a quick user guide here, and you can download the very large 14MB Acrobat manual here.
  • Options
    sicknote10sicknote10 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just as i was about to order the old model from currys, phew, will get the new one now :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote:

Note: 32" model has gone up a whopping £100 quid - now £950! (try link to see). My pre-order still shows the original price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy at 247AV.com tells me the dealers will get their first limited shipments early next week, so a few lucky people should get their new Samsungs before Easter!

There are now also price comparisons on PriceRunner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IMPORTANT!!

I have been delving deep into researching the 26" R7 against the 26" R4. There is no significant difference between the screens at all.
    The R4 has a dynamic contrast of 3000:1 and a ratio of 800:1 exactly the same as the R7.
    As for response time the R7 is 8ms and this is the same in the R4
    Viewing angle is the same too.
    Apart from some minor changes the 26" versions are the same TV... and the R4 can be found at around £300 cheaper.

There is no brightness sensor on the new range either, however i am 70% certain that the picture processing may be 6.4 billion colours compared to 16million, as its only stated on the french samsung site. It also has Game mode ??

Just remember that the new R7 range is only a LITTLE different, the most significant change might be the signal processing but i cant confirm this. Is it worth the extra £200 -300 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote:
    Just remember that the new R7 range is only a LITTLE different, the most significant change might be the signal processing but i cant confirm this. Is it worth the extra £200 -300 ?
    Thanks for pointing that out. Let me put the price difference in context, remembering that the new model has lower availability so will be discounted less:

Here are best prices from PriceRunner as of today for the R4 and R7 BDx models at each size:

26" R4=£557 R7=£675

32" R4=£759 R7=£860

37" R4=£1125 R7=£N/A

40" R4=£N/A R7=£1400

That works out as a maximum of £118 difference to me. Given the choice, I'd rather have the newer model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The R4 can be found for £475 at Freemans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote:
    IMPORTANT!!

I have been delving deep into researching the 26" R7 against the 26" R4. There is no significant difference between the screens at all.
    The R4 has a dynamic contrast of 3000:1 and a ratio of 800:1 exactly the same as the R7.
    As for response time the R7 is 8ms and this is the same in the R4
    Viewing angle is the same too.
    Apart from some minor changes the 26" versions are the same TV... and the R4 can be found at around £300 cheaper.

There is no brightness sensor on the new range either, however i am 70% certain that the picture processing may be 6.4 billion colours compared to 16million, as its only stated on the french samsung site. It also has Game mode ??

Does the same apply to the 32"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote:
    The R4 can be found for £475 at Freemans.
    Yeah, but if Freemans sold the R74 you could get that for 20% off too! It's not a valid comparison.
    Does the same apply to the 32"?
    The 26" has the same LCD panel as the old models but new software and styling. The 32" and 40" are brand new panels so they have a better contrast ratio. All the new R7 models have better speakers and the new 'Game' mode for Xbox etc.

Summary: If you want a bargain, shop around for the R41. If you want the latest (slightly) improved model, go for the R74.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Found a new, much better price on the 32" - £797.90 inc. delivery, there's also a buy now pay later option so all round looks a good deal.

http://www.24electric.com/detail.php?ProdID=98219533

They're out of stock at the mo but as long as it's there before the Sky install it's fine by me..!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My LE26R74BDX arrived today! :)
    Looks and sounds great, but I'll give everyone a full review as soon as I can.

I can heartily recommend 247AV.com who got it delivered so fast!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wow, that was quick! Cant wait for your review. It would be good to find out how it performs with SD Freeview and some shots of it in action.
  • Options
    sicknote10sicknote10 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mines coming on saturday :D , ordered it in a dixons store today (price came down to near the web prices with the help of some discount ;) )

interesting that the dixons ones are R73 rather than R74, and looking at the pictures, the only difference is some coloured plastic near the stand