Options

Advice on 1080i 1920x1080 display unit please

ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have 7 weeks to find a 42" (ish) set that supports both 720p & 1080i in their respective true resolutions (ie for 1080i, 1920x1080) for a budget of £2k ish. Onboard Freeview would be nice however dual HDMI a must. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no TVs available in the UK that can display 720p and 1080i at their native resolution.

Plasmas, LCDs, DLP TVs etc are fixed pixel displays; they have to convert all incoming signals to their native resolutions. Also (with the exception of ALiS panels) they all use progressive scanning; they cannot display a native interlaced signal and must deinterlace.

First generation CRT HDTVs sold in the US could display 720p and 1080i without scaling. The scanning circuitry required to do this was very expensive, and all subsequent models (including Samsung's new HD Ready CRT TVs) scale 720p to 1080i. If you are after a 42" screen a CRT TV wouldn't be suitable anyway.

Improvements in LCD and plasma manufacturing, not to mention new technologies such as OLED and SED, are happening so fast that any display you buy now will soon be superceded. A 1080p display may not necessarily have better picture quality than a 768p one because resolution is only one factor in determining the overall picture quality of a TV.

The Philips 42PF9830 42" LCD has 1080p resolution, and you can expect to pay in excess of £3000 for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meltcity wrote:
    There are no TVs available in the UK that can display 720p and 1080i at their native resolution.

Just found the Philips 42PF9830/10 http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?productId=42PF9830_10_GB_CONSUMER&activeTab=specifications&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=BO04YBWDOZA4LJ0RMRCSHQNHKFSESI5P

which if it had a built in Freeview and two HDMI would certainly be a serious candidate for the dog's twins....

Why do you maintain that it doesn't display in its native resolutions...?

Anyone seen this set in action with a HD source.... comments...?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote:
    meltcity wrote:

Why do you maintain that it doesn't display in its native resolutions...?

A 1280*720 res flat panel can show a 1280*720 source without scaling however if you feed it 1920*1080 then the panel will scale the image to match it's resolution. If you had a 1920*1080 panel then that could display 1920*1080 native but would have to scale a 1280*720 source.
    A 1366*768 panel has to scale both of the recognised HD resolutions:)

So you see a fixed pixel flat panel has a single native resolution so anything other than that res has to be displayed compromised via scaling. The only other option would be to chop/cut the edges off a higher res source to match the lower native res or 1:1 map a low res source on a higer res panel leaving huge amounts of black space around the edges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Zaphodski wrote:

A 1280*720 res flat panel can show a 1280*720 source without scaling however if you feed it 1920*1080 then the panel will scale the image to match it's resolution. If you had a 1920*1080 panel then that could display 1920*1080 native but would have to scale a 1280*720 source.
    A 1366*768 panel has to scale both of the recognised HD resolutions:)

So you see a fixed pixel flat panel has a single native resolution so anything other than that res has to be displayed compromised via scaling. The only other option would be to chop/cut the edges off a higher res source to match the lower native res or 1:1 map a low res source on a higer res panel leaving huge amounts of black space around the edges.

Right...now I'm with you! So...what was going through the minds of the broadcasting standards 'experts' when they came up with two HD delivery methods and resolutions....? So...the question is to go for 1280x720 and accept the downscaling of 1920x1080 or go for 1920x1080 and accept the upscaling of 1280x720? This decision will be governed by the quality of native image and scaled image in both cases, the volume of content that would be delivered in 1920 / 1280 and the likelyhood that one of these standards will fall out of favour...

Any thoughts and observations welcome.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there were technical and economic considerations to be taken into account when deciding on a format, by sanctioning two that are globally accepted they made sure there would be a less expensive stepping stone for both the consumers and manufacturers to get HD started.

It's worth remembering that 1920*1080i viewed on a 1280*720/1366*768 display will still look fantastic and since it seems that globally more content is broadcast at the higher resolution the issues of watching 720p on a 1080i panel are going to be minor.
    Look at it this way, 720p on a 1080i panel will still blow standard definition be it broadcast digital or DVD out of the water and it's progressive by nature which reduces potential problems when viewing on a progressive display (LCD and most Plasmas).

Even now a 1920*1080 display is expensive and will remain so for a while especially as that resolution benefits the larger screen sizes and by extension the larger rooms. Most people will find that a 1280*720/1366*768 display regardless of the HD resolution content it is fed will look stunning:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what format Region 2 HD DVD will be in (720p / 1080i)? Not too bothered about the hardware standard (BlueRay etc) as I'll probably end up with both (one via the PS3 and the other standalone). I have quite a few DVD and although they're obviously all SD and I don't have the budget to swap them all over, I will start buying the films that I want to own in the new format asap. Hence the DVD HD format has a considerable bearing on which type of HD set I get.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think either camp have totally decided to implement Region encoding from launch. The formats of the movies will be left to the studios involved, either format can carry 1080p content it's just a question of the disk having enough capacity AND the player having the hardware to support it which is I believe why 1080p may not be on the first HD-DVD players.
    I would expect all movies to be stored in 1080i minimum since 35mm film stock can generate that easily and 1080i is the format of choice for HD broadcasts.
    Given that if you can afford a 1920*1080 display that is perhaps the best option (not price wise though:) ) and to future proof having it accept a 1080p source is a big bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that if you can afford a 1920*1080 display that is perhaps the best option (not price wise though:) ) and to future proof having it accept a 1080p source is a big bonus.[/QUOTE]

This then naturally creates my $64k question which is: If a 720 set is next to a 1080 set (both 42/43 inch) and both are fed with a 720 signal would you notice any difference between the quality of the image on the display native to the source (the 720) compared to that of the image on the 1080 after it is upscaled? Has anyone actually seen this test for themselves and can comment as oppose to speculate like the rest of us? Many thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well from a technical point of view there will be scaling going on and even £100,000 broadcast standard scaling hardware will never match the quality of having the native resolution to begin with. So purely on that basis a 1:1 mapped 1280*720 should have fewer "issues" than if the same source was upscaled to a 1920*1080 display. The same applies in reverese, a 1:1 mapped 1920*1080 source should produce better results than if it was scaled down to 1280*720.

It would make an interesting study by a respected AV magazine, they are probably the only ones who could do it and make sure even models from the same manufacturer actually have the same internal components/processing to make such a test valid. No point comparing like for like from different manufacturers or LCD to Plasma in this regard and even having genuine well mastered 720p/1080i even 1080p samples of the same material could be a problem:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Well from a technical point of view there will be scaling going on and even £100,000 broadcast standard scaling hardware will never match the quality of having the native resolution to begin with. So purely on that basis a 1:1 mapped 1280*720 should have fewer "issues" than if the same source was upscaled to a 1920*1080 display. The same applies in reverese, a 1:1 mapped 1920*1080 source should produce better results than if it was scaled down to 1280*720.

It would make an interesting study by a respected AV magazine, they are probably the only ones who could do it and make sure even models from the same manufacturer actually have the same internal components/processing to make such a test valid. No point comparing like for like from different manufacturers or LCD to Plasma in this regard and even having genuine well mastered 720p/1080i even 1080p samples of the same material could be a problem:)

Emailed this question to Home Cinema Choice & What TV and Video..... if I get a useful reply I'll post it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    You are making a fatal assumption Jarrak, you are assuming a resolution with individual sharp pixels is the goal.

A 720 line LCD large enough could potentially look blocky, with the repeating pattern of the colour segments obvious. Turning every 2 lines into 3 lines as a 1080 TV has to do, and with additional horizontal resolution as well could potentially produce a much smoother picture.

The ideal solution though, would be a TV with 2160 lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marvin wrote:
    You are making a fatal assumption Jarrak, you are assuming a resolution with individual sharp pixels is the goal.

A 720 line LCD large enough could potentially look blocky, with the repeating pattern of the colour segments obvious. Turning every 2 lines into 3 lines as a 1080 TV has to do, and with additional horizontal resolution as well could potentially produce a much smoother picture.

Well it is a safe assumption that having a source that can be mapped 1:1 on a display and everything else being equal will produce a better picture than the same source scaled to a higher resolution display regardless of the quality of the scaling hardware.
    However I am making the assumption that a 1280*720 panel would be 42" or below which would make the most of that resolution. There are 42" plus panels at that resolution though but obviously you scale up screen size without increasing the resolutions the "issues" with scaling the 720p source will become more evident.

Why 2160 lines?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why 2160 lines?[/QUOTE]

No scaling required.....divisible by 720 & 1080! Though I wouldn't expect to see a commercially viable set this side of a manned Mars landing :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    For 1080i and 720p, get the Toshiba 42WLT66 LCD from play.com @ 1899.99
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote:
    No scaling required.....divisible by 720 & 1080! Though I wouldn't expect to see a commercially viable set this side of a manned Mars landing :p

Of course :o

Perhaps I am missing something though since a fixed pixel display would still have to create picture information from the source material to fill in all the gaps?
    I don't think you can beat 1:1 mapping and since 1080i and 1080p will be in the majority both on broadcast and certainly pre-recorded if you can afford a 1920*1080 display then that is the route to go, best of the two alternatives if money is not a factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Marvin wrote:

But if it's a fixed pixel display, then it still wouldn't solve the problem of deinterlacing on 1080i signals.

The ideal solution would be a multi-scan display with the capability of producing both 720p and 1080i natively (as far as I know, only a CRT can do this, maybe a projector also, not so sure about SED/OLED).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Perhaps I am missing something though since a fixed pixel display would still have to create picture information from the source material to fill in all the gaps?
    I don't think you can beat 1:1 mapping and since 1080i and 1080p will be in the majority both on broadcast and certainly pre-recorded if you can afford a 1920*1080 display then that is the route to go, best of the two alternatives if money is not a factor.

I agree that 1:1 mapping is the ideal, however since we have been lumped with two standards that's not possible for both with one display. A 2160 display would in theory allow 1:1 with different size images (the more I think about it the less I like the idea), leave the gaps blank or interpolate.... I think I'll stick with 1920.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote:
    I agree that 1:1 mapping is the ideal, however since we have been lumped with two standards that's not possible for both with one display.

Tell me about it.
    My Philips LCD 1:1 maps a 1280*720 source on it's 1366*768 res display leaving a black border all the way around. I simply will not watch content like that and to be honest I have had no issues with 1080i content for the last year so expect the same when I have SKY HD.
  • Options
    ACDRACDR Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    "This then naturally creates my $64k question which is: If a 720 set is next to a 1080 set (both 42/43 inch) and both are fed with a 720 signal would you notice any difference between the quality of the image on the display native to the source (the 720) compared to that of the image on the 1080 after it is upscaled? Has anyone actually seen this test for themselves and can comment as oppose to speculate like the rest of us? Many thanks!"[/QUOTE]

Acording to the BBC R&D White Paper the best way to show 720P is on a 1920 * 1080 panel, see page 11.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote:
    Emailed this question to Home Cinema Choice & What TV and Video..... if I get a useful reply I'll post it.

There's an enormous amount of confusion around this issue right now - a lot
    of it to do with a horrifically misleading and misinformed article that
    appeared in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago.

A simple answer to your question would be that yes, from my experience there
    is a tiny difference in the quality of a 720p signal watched on a 720/768
    line screen and a 1080-line screen, with the 720/768-line picture looking
    fractionally better. But this difference is so marginal that it's only
    visible at all on really high quality screens of 42in or bigger.

The difference in quality is so small that it actually leaves other issues
    around the 720/1080-line debate as far more important. By which I mean the
    simple fact that HD broadcasts both here and in America are available in
    both 720 and 1080-line formats on the grounds that 720p works better for
    fast moving images, like sports footage, because of its progressive nature,
    with 1080i looking better with more static, documentary-type footage thanks
    to its slightly higher native pixel count. So in my opinion, and the
    opinion, it would appear, of broadcasters around the world, the benefits of
    using different formats for different content types far outweigh any tiny
    issues there might be with scaling each format to fit either 720 or
    1080-line screens. I'm not aware of there being any raging debates about the
    720-1080-line TV issue in the US, where HD has been available in both
    formats for some time now.

So my main point is that The Daily Mail seems to have just swallowed some
    marketing bilge from TV makers trying to increase their margins by selling
    premium-priced 1080-line TVs.

Having said all that, if you are able to say with certainty that most of
    your HD viewing is going to be in 1080i rather than 720p - say, you're not
    particularly into sports, and are thinking of getting an HD DVD or Blu-ray
    DVD player - then you might as well go for a 1080 screen if you can afford
    one (they're currently being marketed as 'premium products').

And this is especially true if you hold on a little while and get one of the
    new generation of TVs able to receive 1080p signals. For my experience is
    that having a native 1080 screen DOES make a small but noticeable difference
    with the new 1080p format that Sony is claiming will be available via its
    PS3 console and on Blu-ray discs. So if you're so committed to HD that you
    really think you'll want to experience 1080p in action when it becomes more
    widespread (it's currently only being talked about as a premium, niche
    format within the industry), then this is a much more worthwhile reason to
    get a 1080-line screen than the minute differences between scaled and
    unscaled 720p and 1080i signals. But only if the TV you buy can actually
    receive the 1080p signals (at the moment, very few can).

Hopefully this has given you a little more clarity on this complicated
    issue. Bottom line is that only really, really hardcore HD fans armed with
    magnifying glasses(!) will probably notice/care about 720p/1080i lines
    scaling issues, and even then they can't totally sidestep the problem so
    long as 720p and 1080i broadcasts with their different benefits both exist.
    For me it's only if you're obsessed with 1080i HD documentaries or are
    interested in going the 1080p route down the line that 1080 line TVs really
    come into their (expensive) own.

A useful reply which have thrown up a few more questions which I hope will also be answered.