Options

I Still Dont Get Series 1 of Doctor Who!!??

Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm still trying to understand what the first series of Doctor Who was actually about????

What does the Bad Wolf mean and why does Rose Tyler say "I am the Bad Wolf, I scatter them".....

Its very confusing!!!

Someone help please?

Comments

• Options
    KrisHaywardKrisHayward Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she spreads the words throughout time and space as reminder that she can still get to the doctor.
    I dont really know a better way of putting it that makes sense...wait for one of the expert whovians like DenWatts or BlackGuardian to help ;)
    Im pretty new at DrWho so really i could just as easily have it all wrong :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    Scoobyh1 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm still trying to understand what the first series of Doctor Who was actually about????

What does the Bad Wolf mean and why does Rose Tyler say "I am the Bad Wolf, I scatter them".....

Its very confusing!!!

Someone help please?
    Here you go:

"Suffused with power, Rose easily stops a Dalek blast dead, and forces the destructive beam back. She seems to be controlled by some incredible — almost godlike — force. As the Emperor calls her "the abomination", Rose explains that she is the Bad Wolf and proceeds to scatter the name of the Game Station's owners through time and space, to lead herself to this point."

Think of the phrase as a series of cosmic post-it notes that Rose leaves scattered around for herself. :)

Wiki listing for The Parting of the Ways. Click the link to read the full article.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See i said one of them would put it better :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See i said one of them would put it better :D
    I dunno about 'expert' though. :o

Anyway, I think you managed pretty well. ;)
  • Options
    Bigus_DikusBigus_Dikus Posts: 9,882
    Forum Member
    Oh dear! How to simplify talking about time :(

OK! Disengage paradox mode!

Start with Rose and Mickey sitting in the car park in the final episode.
    Now Rose could have given up trying to get back and led a nice life with Mickey.

Then she sees "Bad Wolf" written all over the car park and also remembers seeing it throughout all of series one in different times and places.

She realises that it is herself from another time and place (IE her killing the Darleks that hasn't happened yet) sending herself a message.

Realising that this is a message from herself that she (in that time and place) hasn't done yet, it must mean that she does go back (or needs to go back) to the "Bad wolf" corporation.

So she does and saves the world!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im watching series 1 at the moment on UKGold...

Mickey just got ate by a wheelie-bin ! :D:D
    I never tire of that scene !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im watching series 1 at the moment on UKGold...

Enjoy it! The likes of which, we will never see again. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hurrah!

But loses us a Doctor...

Boo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    Hurrah!

But loses us a Doctor...

Boo!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Don't remind me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Don't remind me!
    <thinks for a moment>

But we got David Tennant.

Hurrah!

Let's hope he keeps Rose away from the heart of the tardis this series. :)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    <thinks for a moment>

Hurrah!

Let's hope he keeps Rose away from the heart of the tardis this series. :)
    but we've still got Mickey :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote:
    but we've still got Mickey :(:(
    Boo!
    But iirc, he gets left behind on the parallel Earth.

Hurrah!

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    <thinks for a moment>

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yaboo sucks! :mad:

Personally I'd feed him into the heart of the TARDIS 5mins after the opening titles! :mad:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yaboo sucks! :mad:

Personally I'd feed him into the heart of the TARDIS 5mins after the opening titles! :mad:

:( me too i'm afraid
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she spreads the words throughout time and space as reminder that she can still get to the doctor.
    I dont really know a better way of putting it that makes sense...wait for one of the expert whovians like DenWatts or BlackGuardian to help ;)
    Im pretty new at DrWho so really i could just as easily have it all wrong :D

How does that work then?
    How does she come to that conclusion?
    How does she work out that she can turn into a god from just reading Bad Wolf?
    They were already aware of Bad Wolf, there was nothing I could see that suggested anything that she could still help the Doctor. It looked to me like a complete leap of logic out of the blue.

It still makes no sense to me either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    Here you go:

"Suffused with power, Rose easily stops a Dalek blast dead, and forces the destructive beam back. She seems to be controlled by some incredible — almost godlike — force. As the Emperor calls her "the abomination", Rose explains that she is the Bad Wolf and proceeds to scatter the name of the Game Station's owners through time and space, to lead herself to this point."

Think of the phrase as a series of cosmic post-it notes that Rose leaves scattered around for herself. :)

Wiki listing for The Parting of the Ways. Click the link to read the full article.

I think most people understand that Den,...but it's the bit before that that doesn't make a lot of sense, and takes a detour from logic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear! How to simplify talking about time :(

OK! Disengage paradox mode!

Start with Rose and Mickey sitting in the car park in the final episode.
    Now Rose could have given up trying to get back and led a nice life with Mickey.

Then she sees "Bad Wolf" written all over the car park and also remembers seeing it throughout all of series one in different times and places.

She realises that it is herself from another time and place (IE her killing the Darleks that hasn't happened yet) sending herself a message.

Realising that this is a message from herself that she (in that time and place) hasn't done yet, it must mean that she does go back (or needs to go back) to the "Bad wolf" corporation.

How though?
    This is the main point that leaves people questioning the logic.

What makes her realise that it is herself that leaves the message?
    There is absolutely nothing that explains why she knows this.
    As far as she's concerned Bad Wolf could be written by anybody. Why should she think it was created by herself?

She and The Doctor knew about the Bad Wolf corporation the episode before.

How does seeing 'Bad Wolf' tell her she can get back to the Doctor by getting into the TARDIS, looking into it's heart, turning into a TARDIS god, and then scattering the words 'Bad Wolf' around space and time?

She figured all this out just by seeing 'Bad Wolf' written on a playgound?
    How does 'Bad Wolf' tell her all this?
    There could have been a multitude of reasons as to why 'Bad Wolf' was written everywhere, and it makes no sense how it tells her that she can go back to the future and that The Doctor could still be saved. Because the words 'Bad Wolf' would still be there in the past whether she went back to the future or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    I thought I had understood this but now I`m more confused than ever!

I had thought it was the heart of the Tardis which had scattered the letters in time and space as a warning for both the Doctor and Rose.

I thought that seeing the words on the playground just made her think that it was a "sign" that she should try again to get back to the Doctor. She didn`t know how the letters had gotten there until the Tardis` heart had taken over her body.

Me confused. :o:(:D
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that work then?
    They were already aware of Bad Wolf, there was nothing I could see that suggested anything that she could still help the Doctor. It looked to me like a complete leap of logic out of the blue.

As she starts to despair Bad Wolf appears more and more often, she sees it as a sign that there must still be a way to get back to the doctor, so it makes her try even more.

When she gets back to the doctor, she is already the Time Goddess, and makes sure that she can get there by sending herself the messages.

.... too many potential paradoxes .... my head hurts.
  • Options
    MacattacKMacattacK Posts: 7,652
    Forum Member
    I'm not knocking it at all. Thoroughly enjoyable TV show as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose inhales the heart and soul of the TARDIS. When she wipes the Daleks out, she does it as the heart and soul of the tardis, not Rose Tyler from 2005. She then spreads the words Bad Wolf through time and space as a path to lead Rose back to the Tardis so the heart and soul can take a physical form and save "my Doctor".

Or something. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iTS going to be stupid if there are no references to Bad Wolf in all new series as its claimed the words are spreaded throughout all time and space so they should still appear wherever they go, not just dissapear cus that storyline is over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that work then?

I understand(i think) the point your trying to make that
    'how did rose get back to the doctor before the words were spread....in order to spread the words to tell herself' :confused::confused:

We just have to believe she did work it out and then sent the bad wolf messages across time and space to make sure her past self definatly works it out....

i think iv got myself confused now ! :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How though?
    This is the main point that leaves people questioning the logic.

What makes her realise that it is herself that leaves the message?
    There is absolutely nothing that explains why she knows this.
    As far as she's concerned Bad Wolf could be written by anybody. Why should she think it was created by herself?

She and The Doctor knew about the Bad Wolf corporation the episode before.

How does seeing 'Bad Wolf' tell her she can get back to the Doctor by getting into the TARDIS, looking into it's heart, turning into a TARDIS god, and then scattering the words 'Bad Wolf' around space and time?

She figured all this out just by seeing 'Bad Wolf' written on a playgound?
    How does 'Bad Wolf' tell her all this?
    There could have been a multitude of reasons as to why 'Bad Wolf' was written everywhere, and it makes no sense how it tells her that she can go back to the future and that The Doctor could still be saved. Because the words 'Bad Wolf' would still be there in the past whether she went back to the future or not.

As a storyarc it had potential but I don't think RTD thought it out as far ahead as he claims to have done. The references to Bad Wolf seemed shoe horned into certain episodes and when it did reach it's climax in the last two episodes the explanation was rather lame, rushed and didn't really make much sense to be honest.

It did have the desired effect in that we talked and speculated about it every week but the pay off in episode 13 left me feeling rather disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As she starts to despair Bad Wolf appears more and more often, she sees it as a sign that there must still be a way to get back to the doctor, so it makes her try even more.

When she gets back to the doctor, she is already the Time Goddess, and makes sure that she can get there by sending herself the messages.

.... too many potential paradoxes .... my head hurts.
    Yes, she went back because she'd always gone back (one of those paradox thingies, as you said.)

As for opening the heart of the tardis, I think it was just a lucky guess rather than a definite plan (Rose remembered the Doctor describing the tardis as being 'alive.')

As to the concept itself, I agree with BG in that it did seem a bit shoe-horned in and left a lot of people feeling :confused: