Options

Mega small, mega cheap MPEG4 player!

I was just window shopping in Currys today. They had a very small Amstrad player which said "MPEG 4" on the box. I thought well that's very small, but what's the price. I found the price tag and it was just £19.99!

I bought one and took it home, looked through the manual over lunch and there was no mention of MPEG4 whatsoever, just MP3 and JPG playback, so I was getting worried.

However, I just tested it and it plays all the latest DivX/Xvid files I downloaded (Lost, Battlestar Galactica, etc), perfectly! I tried +R/+RW/-RW disks, all play with no problems. It also plays DVD-ISOs with no problems. This drive is very small indeed and is perfect for those wanting a DivX player to take on the road to use with hotel TVs etc. It has both SCART and RCA outputs.

The model number is Amstrad DX3092.

Comments

• Options
    SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might buy this. I need something to play .avi files so I dont have to sit at my PC.

Only thing im concerned about is I want to attach a 5.1 surround system soon. This player probs wont maximise it to its full potential.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the same price on the Dixons website so I assume it would be instore as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    SamGamgee wrote:
    Might buy this. I need something to play .avi files so I dont have to sit at my PC.

Only thing im concerned about is I want to attach a 5.1 surround system soon. This player probs wont maximise it to its full potential.
    I just bought this at the weekend and I'm very impressed if that's any help to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Praxidike wrote:
    I just bought this at the weekend and I'm very impressed if that's any help to you.

Cheers mate, do you know if it plays .avi? (DivX/XVid)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamGamgee wrote:
    Cheers mate, do you know if it plays .avi? (DivX/XVid)
    Yep. Definitely plays DivX, haven't tried XVid yet. Don't think it will play Xvid actually as it only says DivX on the front of the player, but I guess it might do. Every .avi file I've tried so far has played, tried about 10 different types so far!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    do you have a picture of it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Praxidike wrote:
    Yep. Definitely plays DivX, haven't tried XVid yet. Don't think it will play Xvid actually as it only says DivX on the front of the player, but I guess it might do. Every .avi file I've tried so far has played, tried about 10 different types so far!

Could you try and get hold of an XVid .avi file and see if it plays mate?

Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    According to the spec on this page it's Xvid compatible.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To snap this thread back to subject from it's hijacking ;). The player in question is very good, have done some more testing. PQ is very good indeed for a player of this price.

The only issue I have found is that rarely I find an MPEG4 video that is fine with the picture, but the audio is patchy, runs ahead or behind, or some other audio anomaly which makes it unwatchable. Later when I have time I am going to see if I can work out the problem, I suspect it's a particular type of audio stream that the player doesn't recognise. Perhaps this will be fixed with a firmware update. Unfortunately as this is a new player there doesn't seem to be much support for it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote:
    To snap this thread back to subject from it's hijacking ;). The player in question is very good, have done some more testing. PQ is very good indeed for a player of this price.

The only issue I have found is that rarely I find an MPEG4 video that is fine with the picture, but the audio is patchy, runs ahead or behind, or some other audio anomaly which makes it unwatchable. Later when I have time I am going to see if I can work out the problem, I suspect it's a particular type of audio stream that the player doesn't recognise. Perhaps this will be fixed with a firmware update. Unfortunately as this is a new player there doesn't seem to be much support for it yet.

Hm thats quite a big issue for me- i hate out of sync issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've only found it to happen on one track - and that track doesn't even play back perfectly on the PC, so I'm not sure if it might just be a bit dodgy.
  • Options
    bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    Curry's website now says "temporarily out of stock" :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who needs a website? Same price in store, just mosey on down and pick one up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Curry's never have anything I want in stock. I wanted a Daewoo DUB28 something or other and they don't have it - I phoned up and got them to check. Also phoned comet and they don't have it nor know when it's coming in.

We're going along anyway to see if we can find anything similar I'll look out for the DVD player while I'm there I'd like one for the bedroom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    They have 6 of the Amstrad DX3092 on the shelf in Currys @ Meadowhall Retail Park, Sheffield. They had 7, but one is now in my car! :-)

Sounds a cracking little unit for the money, and hopefully it will help win me some brownie points when my wife can watch Desparate Housewives without having to wait for me to hook up the laptop to the tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    There are a few in Dixons in Norwich. Well, one less now :D

They were not even on display - just kind of forgotten about in a pile at the back. They hadn't even put up a price/description card. The salesman said that it was cheap for a DVD player, and when I said it was DivX etc he said it wasn't. Well, whatever!!!

Looks a great unit - can't wait to get it home now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have just been, was meant to be going to comet but had to go to tesco so I popped into currys. They had a stack of the dvd playes so I got one haven't played with it yet though.

As for the TV it was £250 on comets website, £235 on Currys website but only £199 instore so i ordered it it's coming wednesday.

£199 for 28" pureflat widescreen integrated freeview with S-video. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just had to take the DX3092 back to swap it.

Worked ok last night.....but this morning the remote packed in!

It played all the downloaded films and tv series i threw at it last night, so fingers crossed this one will be ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've programmed most of the remote's functions into my spare (VCR) mode on my one-for-all, just in case anything happens to mine!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    This thing ROCKS! It has been great with every DivX or XVID file I could throw at it.

Not so good on some MP4 files I have, but I always had problems getting these to play on my PDA (must try to remember why!!)

Are you sure the remote has packed up? Mine does seem to be a bit sensitive to direction and distance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you sure the remote has packed up? Mine does seem to be a bit sensitive to direction and distance.

It was definitly dead. It worked initially, as long as it was directly inline with unit, but then it wouldn't do anything at all.

This one works much better. The buttons feel firmer too.

All the files I've tried work, had a sync problem with one, but it's the same on the PC.

Is it just me, or is the red led the brightest thing you've ever seen? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm going out to buy mine today, so y'all better be right!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, only had it for about an hour but I'm VERY impressed. Not only is it a really sharp picture (much better than my Sony, which granted is about 5 years old now) but it plays the stuff I've downloaded onto my computer and burned onto disc. Veronica Mars Season 2 on my telly!!!!!

£20, loads of stock at my local Curry's, who'll sell you the SCART lead half price at the same time. So all in all, a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure I expect it to last more than a year but for £20 I'm still happy.

AND it's really quite attractive. I was thinking I'd have to hide it somewhere but it's quite pretty really. Much nicer than some of Lite-On's stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm whether it will play AVI files using:
    • packed bitstream?
    • QPEL?
    • GMC?

GSpot will show how the file was encoded and whether it uses the above methods.