Options

the 4 4's to go free to-air from july?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
Forum Member
according to ukfreetv web site it is likley that all of channel 4's channels(4,more 4,e4 and film four )could possibly go free to air on satellite when the exsisting contract with sky ends in july this year. :) does anyone know any more to this?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonboy13 wrote:
    according to ukfreetv web site it is likley that all of channel 4's channels(4,more 4,e4 and film four )could possibly go free to air on satellite when the exsisting contract with sky ends in july this year. :) does anyone any more to this?

The information we have is that the contract expires in 2008. July this year will be when FilmFour joins Freeview. Its exact status on satellite is unclear. It will be "free" but will it be "free" or "bastardised free".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonboy13 wrote:
    according to ukfreetv web site it is likley that all of channel 4's channels(4,more 4,e4 and film four )could possibly go free to air on satellite when the exsisting contract with sky ends in july this year. :) does anyone any more to this?

Channel4, more4, film4 & e4 will be ftv not fta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i would not be surprised if 4 went fta as they are not pleased at sky over the launch of more4 on their platform .also this would be in the joe pubs best interests if this was to happen since the beeb and itv have shown it does work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonboy13 wrote:
    i would not be surprised if 4 went fta as they are pissed at sky over the launch of more4 on their platform and also this would be in the publics best interests to do so since the beeb and itv have shown it does work.

Do you not read the threads on here? Channel4 have a contract with Sky that doesnt run out till 2008 altho ch4 probabley want out of this but sky are sticking to their guns hence more4 being a subscription channel. Ch4 could offer to buy themselves out of the contract but theres no way sky would allow that its against their interests to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes i do read the threads on here but i also read the posts on www.ukfree.tv underneath the report about the issue by briantist,please go see for yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you not read the threads on here?

No need for the attitude.
    Channel4 have a contract with Sky that doesnt run out till 2008 altho ch4 probabley want out of this but sky are sticking to their guns hence more4 being a subscription channel. Ch4 could offer to buy themselves out of the contract but theres no way sky would allow that its against their interests to do so.

Have you read the contract?

Then you cannot say with certainty that FilmFour is included in the detail of carriage and encryption for E4, More4 and Channel 4.

http://www.channel4sales.com/news/news-article.aspx?year=2006&id=21

Channel 4 clearly say freesat, so it isn't going to follow More4 into subscription tv. After the last time I'd think C4 want to get their facts right prior to a press release, but it wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't.

You are only guessing that the C4 channels will go FTV after the current contract expires.
  • Options
    tvbbctvbbc Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Will they broadcast to Ireland? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvbbc wrote:
    Will they broadcast to Ireland? :confused:

For Film4, if this line is accurate
    On digital satellite, the FilmFour channel will be available to freesat viewers as well as Sky digital customers

Then yes. If they are using Freesat (registered trademark of the BBC) to mean FreesatfromSky then you will need a £20 card. I'd suggest ebay for one.

If Freesat means proper freesat then you won't need anything other than a box and a dish, which I assume you have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of us know exactly what is in the contract between Sky and C4. It might be that C4 is obliged to pay for encryption up to 2008 but is not actually obliged to use the encryption. If you conclude a lease contract on a house, you will have to pay rent up to the date specified in the contract, but it's unlikely that there will be a clause in the contract requiring you to actually use the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trust this briantist on www.ukfree.tvhe/she never gets it wrong which i am supprised no has picked up on this about 4's 4 channels. lets keep everthing crossed for complete fta and then the pressure would seriously be on 5 to follow suit with its pending new channels later this year aswell going in direct comp with more4 and e4 for viewers.the only winners can be the public with good choice of channels completely fta on sat that will equal the platform of freeview for a huge majority of people that can not get this service for a long time to come.
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deja Vue folks :)

see here
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=341260
    for a full but inconclusive analysis.

The Film Four website make it clear that it will be available to 'Freesat' viewers. I did send an email to Film Four asking if 'Freesat' meant FTA like the BBC and ITV, but I received no reply.
    http://www.channel4.com/film/ffchannel/features/C/changes_at_filmfour.html

I repeat my analysis from the previous thread
    I point to 3 things that favour a genuine FTA switch.
    1 - The broadcasts are on Astra 2D
    2 - The publicity clearly makes a distinction between 'Sky' and 'Freesat'.
    3 - After Channel 4's experience with 'More 4' (they were rapped by OFCOM) they wouldn't make the same mistake again !!! Would they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :o ooops and again :o jonboys final thought is where 4 goes 5 will follow and a wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonboy13 wrote:
    :o ooops and again :o jonboys final thought is where 4 goes 5 will follow and a wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse!!!!!!!!
    But is it really that simple? surely programme rights will have to come into any decision about C4 and Five being FTA on Digital Satellite. Having said that though, having both channels FTA would be great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:
    But is it really that simple? surely programme rights will have to come into any decision about C4 and Five being FTA on Digital Satellite. Having said that though, having both channels FTA would be great.

It's not simple nor cheap and even ITV admitted it took a long time to negotiate the move to FTA in terms of rights. However the BBC did it and their main commercial rival have done it so it's only a matter of time before CH4 and Five follow suit.

A genuine Dsat version of Freeview would makes things easier and be a stick to beat SKY over the head with in an attempt to get EPG carriage costs lower.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ofcom review of the Sky TPS charges could have an impact on if and when Channel 4 and five go FTA. If the charges are reduced then the savings gained by going FTA may be less than the extra costs for rights to programs (both channels import a lot of US drama). I don't know if it's possible for the contract period they are currently locked into to be effected by the outcome of the review (e.g. the existing contract being made void by the Ofcom decision) but it isn't beyond the realms of possiblility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC and ITV did make large savings on EPG and encryption costs mainly due to the number of channels they had on Dsat, given the lower requirments of CH4 and especially Five the savings will be much smaller even without any potential reductions as a result of the next consultation.

However I think CH4 and Five will both go FTA at the end of the current contracts simply because it makes more sense in the current market.

Once OFCOM is done here perhaps they should look into the regulations which allow cable to charge a subscription to get legal access to a digital STB and watch what are considered "free" digital channels on both DTT and Dsat from the 4 major broadcasters:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Once OFCOM is done here perhaps they should look into the regulations which allow cable to charge a subscription to get legal access to a digital STB and watch what are considered "free" digital channels on both DTT and Dsat from the 4 major broadcasters:)

I don't see why. There are a number of factors that can affect a cable network that over-the-air transmissions are unaffected by.

For example leakage back onto the network. Even if the cable network installed the cable and develop compatible hardware it would be far more expensive than digital satellite (98% coverage) and digital terrestrial (70%, increasing to 90+).

Then there would be technical support and call out charges where the end-user develops a fault. It isn't really in the consumers best interests to make them reliant upon a cable operator for digital television reception.

The satellite and terrestrial hardware markets are already developed enough to give consumers choice, compatibility and affordability. They are also now pan-European moving towards MPEG 4 and HD.

We have the situation where in the UK where "cable" hardware wouldn't even have assured compatibility over the 3 networks we have. The market would also be controlled by the dubious decisions made by the networks that suit their own needs but perhaps don't serve consumers well. Knowsley using MPEG2 HD, with Langley and Bromley using MPEG4 HD (assuming it doesn't get dropped) complicates matters further. If they all go MPEG2 HD that leaves 'free' cable users behind in terms of technology on the back of a financial decision by NTL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the networks/platforms are different but that is not really relevant to the basic idea that the BBC digital channels should be free of a subscription charge. A UK license fee payer should be able to buy a TV and/or standalone receiver and have access to the BBC digital output.

Surely you agree at least in principle?

Now I fully understand why the situation is what it is but that doesn't mean I think it's right or that the whole system would collapse if over 40% of the UK population could rent/buy an authorised STB and watch the channels they pay for via the license fee with the option of taking out PAY services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly do agree in principle. It is one of the great failings.... in fact maybe it is easier to tally the successes... of the direction of tv and, more recently, digital tv in the UK.

The failure to embrace cable and the way it was franchised has been a disaster.

The failure to use and promote free-to-air digital satellite (and therefore limit the reliance on terrestrial), failure of councils to fully promote satellite distribution systems in blocks of flats.

The failure in bringing forward the analogue switch-off date when freeview became so affordable, failure to switch off BBC2 and set up a powerful "mux 0" with 1-5.

The list is seemingly endless...

Cable should have been used as an FTA platform, as with grants to extend their franchise areas it woud promote digital tv and fast broadband uptake in the UK.

It is just unfortunate all the people with good ideas seem to be posting on forums and do not form a part of any of the Government decision making bodies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    i attended a SKY HD training course in Cork not long ago, and the people from SKY suggested that C4 would be available FTA within the next 10 days, seeing is believeing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianmaxtec wrote:
    i attended a SKY HD training course in Cork not long ago, and the people from SKY suggested that C4 would be available FTA within the next 10 days, seeing is believeing

I hope you are correct, along with Channel 5, I hope...then I can bin the Sky Receiver ( not fussed about Sky3 it is junk anyway. ).
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There appears to be some space on 2D now

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=368562
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd hate to piss on this parade just as its going..... but.....

Is it not more likely they are making space for their HD stream?
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes - but that's sensible! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard talking to someone the other day that the BBC would use DVB-S for their HD test. Makes sense really as why waste a whole transponder on DVB-S2 for 1 stream.

And if they are using DVB-S then what is the chances they will use MPEG2?

And if they do that how cheap is the PC hardware :D

I see a lot of empty space on that transponder :D