Options

Chewing Gum

Gayle WarningsGayle Warnings Posts: 1,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Love it or hate it?

Personally I think its horrible stuff. I hate seeing (and hearing) people chewing gum, 'smacking' it around their mouths. People walking along or driving and looking like they're chewing the cud at the same time...and it seems they always have thier mouths open whilst doing it. Surely if they saw themselves in a mirror they'd give it up? Bubble gum is even worse - it smells, and seeing someone blowing bubbles with the stuff....eeeewwww!

And as for walking in it....don't get me started! Why can't people dispose of it in a bin or even wrapped up in a scrap of paper? Instead, there are loads of it on pavements and streets, ready to be trodden in or just left there.

I really don't like being served in shops by people chewing it or having to listen to someone on the other end of the phone chomping away on it...it makes me feel sick. Are shop assistants allowed to chew it whilst on the shop floor :confused:

Rant over. :)

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chewing gum, an acquired taste
    cinnamon, peppermint and spearmint
    berries, tootyfrooty, lime galore
    an endless game, an oral stint.

i chew chew chew a lot. it's fun and it keeps my breath fresh. keeping your mouth closed for long periods is what leads to smelly breath(apart from halitosis/eating garlic/not cleaning your teeth and tongue etc etc)....

i have really strong jaw muscles....for some reason im pretty chuffed about that.

however i also dislike loud chewers- sometimes i am guilty of this myself but then if i sit right beside my hubby he is bound to hear???

chewers who spit gum or spittle or anything in the street should be shot and then shot again. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Are shop assistants allowed to chew it whilst on the shop floor :confused:

I am.

I love it, i think im actually addicted to it. My mouth just feels empty if im not chewing :D
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it or hate it?

Personally I think its horrible stuff. I hate seeing (and hearing) people chewing gum, 'smacking' it around their mouths. People walking along or driving and looking like they're chewing the cud at the same time...and it seems they always have thier mouths open whilst doing it. Surely if they saw themselves in a mirror they'd give it up? Bubble gum is even worse - it smells, and seeing someone blowing bubbles with the stuff....eeeewwww!

And as for walking in it....don't get me started! Why can't people dispose of it in a bin or even wrapped up in a scrap of paper? Instead, there are loads of it on pavements and streets, ready to be trodden in or just left there.

I really don't like being served in shops by people chewing it or having to listen to someone on the other end of the phone chomping away on it...it makes me feel sick. Are shop assistants allowed to chew it whilst on the shop floor :confused:

I agree with every word you say - I have thought it for years so don't think it's just because I'm a grumpy old whatsit! :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evil nasty muck, messes up pavements, clothes, furniture. It should have a huge tax put on it for the clean-up operations that cost councils money every year. Wrigley should have been put down at birth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, horrid stuff. Devil's puss!
  • Options
    GarryMcGarryMc Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm addicted to it. I have to buy a pack every morning.
    Smokers buy **** in the morning, I buy Chewing gum. :D
  • Options
    KboxKbox Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just chewing gum, seriously, get a life.

maybe you should spend less time looking at other people and what they are doing and more time minding your own business.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    It's horrible when you end up swallowing it and the taste that it leaves.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dephanix wrote:
    I am.

I love it, i think im actually addicted to it. My mouth just feels empty if im not chewing :D
    If you were chewing gum whilst attempting to serve me, I would ask to see another assistant. If all assistants were chewing gum, I would ask to see the manager; if (s)he was chewing gum, I would take my business elsewhere and complain to your head office.
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CloneClown wrote:
    It's horrible when you end up swallowing it and the taste that it leaves.

If you swallow it, it wraps itself around your heart. My mother told me this, so it must be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biz wrote:
    If you swallow it, it wraps itself around your heart. My mother told me this, so it must be true.

No it doesn't. It does stick to your insides though and blocks up your tubes. And you might die. This is what my mother always told me.
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    troublegum wrote:
    No it doesn't. It does stick to your insides though and blocks up your tubes. And you might die. This is what my mother always told me.

Well, I'm not in any danger either way, as I think it's a horrible habit too. It's a long time since I tried any, but I seem to remember it loses its flavour almost immediately.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does annoy me is when people leave it on bus seats and you sit on it, only realising you have done so when you get up and the offending substance sticks to the seat of your pants.

It's a sod to get off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i feel naked without gum lol but i always put it in a bin i hate people that chuck it on the floor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    The sale of the orrible stuff is banned in Singapore!!! & I think anyone is caned if caught using it :eek:

Tax the revolting stuff off the shelves in Britain.
  • Options
    lordoftheflieslordoftheflies Posts: 7,879
    Forum Member
    If you chew without having eaten food for a long time, apparently the juices from the gum start eating away around your stomach wall (or something like that, I remember it from a Science lesson)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    This is one of my pet hates. I just hate to see people chewing it, especially women. Why do woman over 40, 50...think it makes them look cool/younger to chew like a camel. It looks so awful!!
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love chewing..chewing gum all day long.
    Now, for some strange reason, I can't bear it in my mouth for longer than 5 mins, as it makes me gag!
    I only chew it now to make my breath smell fresher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you chew without having eaten food for a long time, apparently the juices from the gum start eating away around your stomach wall (or something like that, I remember it from a Science lesson)

indeed lordoftheflies, there are many tales of horror and woe relating to chewing gum....however ive been chewing like a camel/cow/horse/buck/hippo/monkey/llama for almost my entire life. i tasted my first chewing gum when i was a toddler.

i get really hungry every 3-4 hours and my stomach feels like it is on fire if i neglect it. i eat my rabbit food and then im back on top form.

i think that with relation to me, my stomach, and myself.....the stomach lining story is a myth...designed to sabotage the sweet chewy grip of the sapodilla gum. :)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elliebee wrote:
    This is one of my pet hates. I just hate to see people chewing it, especially women. Why do woman over 40, 50...think it makes them look cool/younger to chew like a camel. It looks so awful!!

Yes, them and nearly all football managers at games :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed lordoftheflies, there are many tales of horror and woe relating to chewing gum....however ive been chewing like a camel/cow/horse/buck/hippo/monkey/llama for almost my entire life. i tasted my first chewing gum when i was a toddler.
    QUOTE]

That's another thing I don't understand. Why do parents give it to small children? There must be some risk of them swallowing it, and I suppose it has a high sugar content :confused:

Chewing gum is just disgusting.

I can't think of a decent argument in its favour.

EDIT: Ok, just seen Chie's post below.... :o , yep, if it helps people give up smoking it can't be a bad thing :cool:
  • Options
    ChieChie Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally dislike chewing gum, but I'm on Nicotene Gum at the moment because patches don't work for me. I don't like it but I've got no choice. Smoking is worse than chewing gum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QUOTE]

That's another thing I don't understand. Why do parents give it to small children? There must be some risk of them swallowing it, and I suppose it has a high sugar content :confused:

Chewing gum is just disgusting.

I can't think of a decent argument in its favour.

EDIT: Ok, just seen Chie's post below.... :o , yep, if it helps people give up smoking it can't be a bad thing :cool:

i was not a stupid toddler and my mother did not leave us alone with a giant gob of cosmic-sized gum.....more like she monitored that too. besides, kids can choke on their own vomit, ordinary food, sweets, little bits that come off their toys, buttons, stones etc etc etc.

as for it having a high sugar content....ribena, breakfast cereals, fizzy drinks, lollipops, some fruit and kids yoghurts have high sugar contents too. there are sugar-free gums- so would that be ok to be given to toddlers?

different strokes for different folks gaylewarnings. thats all it is. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i was not a stupid toddler and my mother did not leave us alone with a giant gob of cosmic-sized gum.....more like she monitored that too. besides, kids can choke on their own vomit, ordinary food, sweets, little bits that come off their toys, buttons, stones etc etc etc.

as for it having a high sugar content....ribena, breakfast cereals, fizzy drinks, lollipops, some fruit and kids yoghurts have high sugar contents too. there are sugar-free gums- so would that be ok to be given to toddlers?

different strokes for different folks gaylewarnings. thats all it is. :)

Didn't mean to aim that at you specifically :o

But I do see lots of parents (Mums more specifically I guess) who seem to just dole out chewing gum to toddlers as though its a replacement for a dummy. In fact..... I guess a lot of them see it as just that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't mean to aim that at you specifically :o

But I do see lots of parents (Mums more specifically I guess) who seem to just dole out chewing gum to toddlers as though its a replacement for a dummy. In fact..... I guess a lot of them see it as just that!

ahh, i had figured you for a gun toting chewing-gum-chewer markswoman!! :D

my mother never let us have dummies either. we might have sucked our thumbs a bit but we were subjected to maximum censorship. :)

i have seen my mother do the chewing gum tutorial on very young cousins....she would give them a piece and then hold them and keep asking them to show it to her every few minutes. if they tried to swallow it, they were asked to spit it and i think she would never give it to them again. :eek:

i know what you mean though- if ppl do not literally watch their kids then giving them chewing gum is foolish. it can be dangerous if the blighter decides to swallow it!