Options

Chance of Sky swapping current channel for Quiz TV?

marbles316marbles316 Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I assume there's nothing stopping Sky from dropping Sky Sports News or something and putting one of its own branded Quiz channels in place? Could be a good earner for Sky...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marbles316 wrote:
    I assume there's nothing stopping Sky from dropping Sky Sports News or something and putting one of its own branded Quiz channels in place? Could be a good earner for Sky...

They are not allowed to replace the news channels.

and for goodness sake even Sky wouldn't go that low,

they not have quiz channels, they have gambling channels... big difference.
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Sooteries wrote:
    They are not allowed to replace the news channels.

and for goodness sake even Sky wouldn't go that low,

they not have quiz channels, they have gambling channels... big difference.
    Actually they used to have a segment called Sky Quiz Live on Sky Mix / Sky Two which ran from May 2005 - November 2005.

http://www.skyquizlive.co.uk/
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I don't think they would do this - the aim of their Freeview channels is to encourage people to sign up for Sky, as that provides longer-term and bigger profits than any short term gain (and damage to reputation) that a quiz channel would.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually they used to have a segment called Sky Quiz Live on Sky Mix / Sky Two which ran from May 2005 - November 2005.

http://www.skyquizlive.co.uk/

and that's part of a hopefully growing list of Quiz TV Shows that has flopped or stopped making money.
  • Options
    Andy258Andy258 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marbles316 wrote:

Please no!!! With Quiz Call & ITV Play we already have too many of these cheap, money grabbing channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    What's the saturation point for quiz channels? Are each broadcaster aiming to do their own - so because they are cheap to run we may see more to see who thrives and survives, or will some have the sense that there are enough already??
  • Options
    ooohhhhEL1111ooohhhhEL1111 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wouldn't be too bothered if sky replaced sky three with sky vegas(or sky travel :) ) , as sky three is crap.
  • Options
    pete1pete1 Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Cant they now replace Sky Sports News with Sky Sports 1 ( at a premium of course) after all the sports news is well catered for on Sky News.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Why do people think Sky would put any of their premium channels onto Freeview - even if it were a pay channel??? :confused:

IT will NEVER happen. End of.
  • Options
    ooohhhhEL1111ooohhhhEL1111 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people think Sky would put any of their premium channels onto Freeview - even if it were a pay channel??? :confused:

IT will NEVER happen. End of.

not even sky sports xtra??which has lots of 'obscure' sport, with a little bit of 'mainstream' sport????

or sky movies 7,8???
  • Options
    marbles316marbles316 Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. You can't say it'll NEVER happen.

I think Nicch is right - I reckon we'll see an expansion of quiz channels before we see a contraction. I expect ITV Play and Quiz Call will last long term though; due to the weight behind them. Though Quiz Call does appear to be run on a complete shoe string, compared to ITV Play (which admittedly is still only run on a couple of boot laces).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Like people on here have mentioned before these quiz channels will always be there as long as there are people who have money to phone in to them.
    I would prefer a channel full of repeats of anything, just as long as it isn't quiz shows. Its ok to say dont watch them if we dont like them but the more there are the less variety we have to choose from on DTT.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    i wouldn't be too bothered if sky replaced sky three with sky vegas(or sky travel :) ) , as sky three is crap.

Are you serious? Sky Three is one of the best on Freeview.

It's all a matter of opinion I know, but surely you wouldn't want Sky Vegas in it's place? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Vegas would be pointless. All the participation is done through the red button using a digibox. A possibility is a simulcast of Sky Quiz from Sky Two when/if it returns.