Options

Quiz Call to broadcast on Channel FIVE!

CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
Forum Member
www.quiztelly.com

Why are Channel 4 showing their quiz channel on five?

Makes no sense, but lord these things are cropping out all over the place.

Comments

• Options
    12bigbrother1212bigbrother12 Posts: 4,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i suppose channel 4 will pay to broadcast on 5 because they cant fit it in
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Weird, are all channels gonna start broadcasting quiz shows overnight?! Quiz Call on Five, damn thats :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quiz channels are worse than shopping channels. At least with shopping channels, you're pretty much guaranteed to get something for your money.

It makes me long for the days of having only three terrestrial channels. At least they shut down at night and didn't broadcast this rubbish.

OK I may have exaggerated about three channels but I wonder if we knew back then what would happen in the future, would we still want so many channels.

I do think it's funny that C4 have kept their own channel free from call-in quiz programmes, even their own! Whilst getting rivals, Five to show it for them. Who looks like the weaker channel? C4 comes out looking better than Five and ITV.
  • Options
    BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I did post a few days ago on another thread re ITV Play " I wonder how long it will take Channel 4 and five to start these quizzes overnight".

Not long was the answer!! Is there nothing the toothless tiger that is Ofcom can do about this cancer thats infecting network tv now?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what will happen to all the North American sports coverage that Five shows at the moment if it is sucessful and goes daily? I can see all those fans will be up in arms at Five's decision if that happens. :mad:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i suppose channel 4 will pay to broadcast on 5 because they cant fit it in

Or maybe Channel 4 are not allowed to?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Just checked Fives tv listings for next week, and at the moment we only have to suffer this trash on Saturday nights/Sunday mornings. Still showing sport during the rest of the time, but for how long?
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well like I said the other day, if you where running a commerical tv channel and had to chosse between showing repeats or doing a quiz call type programme everyone would go for the quiz, its time for everyone to jump on the gravy train.

Compaines just cant turn down the amount of cash generated by them.
  • Options
    ooohhhhEL1111ooohhhhEL1111 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe this is just temporary, rasing funds for five.2 and five.3
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    I wonder what will happen to all the North American sports coverage that Five shows at the moment if it is sucessful and goes daily? I can see all those fans will be up in arms at Five's decision if that happens. :mad:
    If they touch ANY of their (already faltering :( ) coverage I will go mental.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Good God!!

Another channel bankrupt of any decent ideas.

ITV
    Five
    Ftn
    Hallmark
    EMAP channels
    etc, etc.

Who will be next...?
  • Options
    BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe this is just temporary, rasing funds for five.2 and five.3

One of fives major shareholders is RTL, I doubt that they are strapped for cash that they need to tart the channel out to another broadcaster at night? :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreadful. No wonder I hate Channel 4.
  • Options
    The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kinda makes you glad the BBC exists, eh?
  • Options
    ooohhhhEL1111ooohhhhEL1111 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of fives major shareholders is RTL, I doubt that they are strapped for cash that they need to tart the channel out to another broadcaster at night? :mad:

i suppose so. but channel 5 isnt exactly RTL's priority and/or high budget ;)
    Dreadful. No wonder I hate Channel 4.

:eek: why do you hate channel 4?? channel 4's group of channels are some of the best around
    kinda makes you glad the BBC exists, eh?

if people start saying that, hello BBC QUIZ :D !!!!!!! wa-hey!!!!!
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F*** The Quiz channels :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I don't mind quiz channels and quiz crap shows (oh yeah and poker too!)....But it really cheeses me off when they put them on PSBs and subscription channels. Even worst when the likes of ITV also have adverts on them. I mean WTF? I noticed on men & motors "The Daily Quiz" awhile ago Cheeky b*****ds!

Gottabe asked; whats television going to be like in a few years time....will it be worst because of the gullible people in this country or will it die-out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :eek: why do you hate channel 4?? channel 4's group of channels are some of the best around

Don't like thier liberal-livered programming...
    E4 is ok though but they take far too long to put some US shows on overhere.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote:
    Well like I said the other day, if you where running a commerical tv channel and had to chosse between showing repeats or doing a quiz call type programme everyone would go for the quiz, its time for everyone to jump on the gravy train.

Compaines just cant turn down the amount of cash generated by them.
    But at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later) quiz programmes will hit the same barrier that traditional commercial advertising channels have hit - there will only be a finite demand/revenue stream (especially so if the channels are on at the same time). They will be spreading themselves more and more thinly until the bubble inevitable bursts.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like thier liberal-livered programming...
    E4 is ok though but they take far too long to put some US shows on overhere.
    This is ridiculious. Channel 4 buy in television shows and they can play them out whenever it suits them! What is the point in spending a fortune on american imports if your going to show them immediatly! Spreading them out means they get their money's worth. Do you think they would even bother to buy in Without a Trace if they didn't have a free slot in August? Thats the only reason some shows were bought! If they said they had to show everything straight away they wouldn't have had enough room for Desperate Housewives and Lost and would have had to pick only one to show. It makes every sense to keep some shows for the autumn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKTV thats who
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    centrino04 wrote:
    This is ridiculious. Channel 4 buy in television shows and they can play them out whenever it suits them! What is the point in spending a fortune on american imports if your going to show them immediatly! Spreading them out means they get their money's worth. Do you think they would even bother to buy in Without a Trace if they didn't have a free slot in August? Thats the only reason some shows were bought! If they said they had to show everything straight away they wouldn't have had enough room for Desperate Housewives and Lost and would have had to pick only one to show. It makes every sense to keep some shows for the autumn.

AM I starting to sniff a little of the old Channel 4 bias here?

Come on how do you explain other countries showing programmes months earlier than the UK showing? Your reasoning is ridiculous and I think they should stop bidding for the rights of shows such as Lost & Desperate Housewives just let other networks buy them....if it means not having to wait so long for these shows then I'm all for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure that on one of the RTL channels across europe they have this kind of programming, it's not just a plague here.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AM I starting to sniff a little of the old Channel 4 bias here?

Come on how do you explain other countries showing programmes months earlier than the UK showing? Your reasoning is ridiculous and I think they should stop bidding for the rights of shows such as Lost & Desperate Housewives just let other networks buy them....if it means not having to wait so long for these shows then I'm all for it.
    If there is any bias it is yours. Your the one talking about liberal-livered programming.

What I am saying applies equally to any other channel. Other channels do the same - I havn't seen CSI: Miami, The Shield or Criminal Minds on Five yet all 3 premiered last autumn in the states.

Other countries do keep american tv shows until the autumn - in Ireland people have to wait a year after America to see the likes of Will and Grace, Crossing Jordan, The Shield, Joey, The Apprentice and ER.

Channel 4 in comparison is only holding back a few new comedies and Without a Trace for a full year now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    centrino04 wrote:
    If there is any bias it is yours. Your the one talking about liberal-livered programming.

What I am saying applies equally to any other channel. Other channels do the same - I havn't seen CSI: Miami, The Shield or Criminal Minds on Five yet all 3 premiered last autumn in the states.

Other countries do keep american tv shows until the autumn - in Ireland people have to wait a year after America to see the likes of Will and Grace, Crossing Jordan, The Shield, Joey, The Apprentice and ER.

Channel 4 in comparison is only holding back a few new comedies and Without a Trace for a full year now.

This is gone off-topic but anyway I'm sure some people would disagree with you. I heard Ireland got some US shows within 6 weeks of their native country showing...and Australia gets them about 2-3 months before we get them. I'm sure its true other countries get them as late us but really we deserve better.

If what you say about the other channel's US imports (don't actually watch five that much) are true then what we need is HBO (or a channel like it) in this country...Sure it'd mean premium but there we'll be.