Options

FA Cup Final not HD - Scottish Cup Final is

tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems strange that (according to the Sky Magazine) this years FA Cup Final will not be shown in HD but the Scottish Cup Final will be. Any thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Officially HD installations and broadcasting start after the FA Cup.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    The FA cup final will be recorded in HD, as per all this seasons premiership games and then repeated on a daily basis for the next 2 years !!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Doesn't really matter, does it - skyHD installs start 22nd May - after both finals (and the Euro final come to that - despite the sky mag advertising it as a HD feature)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I would imagine that this is because the BBC are the host broadcaster for the English FA Cup final, sky is just an add-on.

As far as I'm aware the BBC do not have the equipment or the experience to broadcast football in HD yet.

Sky however, are the host broadcaster for the Scottish FA Cup final and therefore have the equipment and experience to cover it in HD.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As BBC (resources) OBs have been covering Sport in HD for over 15 years and that they are the proud owner of HD trucks and have a parternership with another eurepean Facilities provider ... while Sky have no/ very limited fleet...
    I think the real answer is who is paying ?? and are there rights issues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As BBC (resources) OBs have been covering Sport in HD for over 15 years and that they are the proud owner of HD trucks and have a parternership with another eurepean Facilities provider ... while Sky have no/ very limited fleet...
    I think the real answer is who is paying ?? and are there rights issues?

HD is now Sky's default standard for covering football. Over the years the BBC may have 'dabbled' in HD but it is certainly not the norm.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dns wrote:
    As far as I'm aware the BBC do not have the equipment or the experience to broadcast football in HD yet.

Sky however, are the host broadcaster for the Scottish FA Cup final and therefore have the equipment and experience to cover it in HD.
    It's nothing to do with "experience". The BBC hold the FA cup broadcasting rights, but will have no HD platform to show it on this year. Sky, meantime will launch Sky Sports HD to normal subscribers just in time for the Scottish version.
    Remember, the World Cup in HD will come from the BBC not Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    dns wrote:
    HD is now Sky's default standard for covering football. Over the years the BBC may have 'dabbled' in HD but it is certainly not the norm.

*clang* wrong. The Beeb will use the same OB facilities Sky use, that of 021, Visions etc, all of who are very adept at HD by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *clang* wrong. The Beeb will use the same OB facilities Sky use, that of 021, Visions etc, all of who are very adept at HD by now.

021 currently have no HD trucks, although I understand that they have two under construction. 021 mainly provide the facilities for ITV Sport.

This year will be my 7th FA Cup final for Sky and once again we will be adding-on to the BBC match coverage. I have never seen the BBC use anything other than trucks provided by BBC resources. The BBC do not currently have any dedicated HD trucks although they are able to cobble one together if required.

Being HD ready requires far more than hiring an HD truck and pointing cameras at an event. Your whole infrastructure - edit suites, ENG, uplinks, graphics etc - needs to be HD.

Sky do not have an HD platform in place yet but all Premiership shows since the community shield have been originated in HD. Sky have spent the last year perfecting their HD infrastructure and that is why they are in a position to offer the Scottish FA Cup in HD.

I'm sure if the BBC had shown the same commitment to HD then they would be in a position to provide HD coverage of the English FA Cup.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More importantly - will the Proms be in HD? Sod the domestic footie.

H
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proms - some will be - that Last night has been HD for a few years ....
  • Options
    lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC do not have the HD capability for outdoor broadcasts, how will they be covering Wimbledon? Which they have committed to showing in HD
  • Options
    HellicopterHellicopter Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    1st and Last Night announced but maybe more.

Alan
  • Options
    BoatmanBoatman Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Resources have Units 2 and 12 which are both HD http://www.bbcresources.co.uk/ob/productionunits/highdef.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dns wrote:
    I have never seen the BBC use anything other than trucks provided by BBC resources. The BBC do not currently have any dedicated HD trucks although they are able to cobble one together if required.

BBC Resources have at least two HD trucks
  • Options
    KingDannyBKingDannyB Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Hearts in HD for the Cup Final then again in the Champions League qualifiers - happy days !
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KingDannyB wrote:
    Hearts in HD for the Cup Final then again in the Champions League qualifiers - happy days !

I think you'll have to win 2 or three qualifying rounds to reach the HD heaven of the group stages. In the words of someone bigger than me "Do ya feel lucky punk" :D

Sorry KingDannyB but I couldn't resist that one. Hope you make it with the big boys. Can only be good for Scottish football.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    dns wrote:
    The BBC do not currently have any dedicated HD trucks although they are able to cobble one together if required.

I must have hallucinated the blue BBC Resources OB truck I saw with the words "High Definition" on the side.

Yes, Sky should be applauded for the amount of HD coverage they're doing, but the BBC have been leading the way with HD in this country for the best part of a decade.