Options

Will NTL give you extra if try to cancel?

Now that Talk Talk can give me phone and broadband for half of what I pay to NTL, I'm sorely tempted to defect.

But if NTL could get in the right ballpark on price then I'd probably stay because I'm not unhappy with the service I've had for the last three years.

Have any of you threatened NTL with cancellation and been offered discounts or free upgrades if you stay?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Sony Fan wrote:
    Now that Talk Talk can give me phone and broadband for half of what I pay to NTL, I'm sorely tempted to defect.

But if NTL could get in the right ballpark on price then I'd probably stay because I'm not unhappy with the service I've had for the last three years.

Have any of you threatened NTL with cancellation and been offered discounts or free upgrades if you stay?

If you ring up and say you want to leave as you're tempted by the Talk Talk offer, they'll put you through to a department called retentions who will strike you a deal to keep your custom.

The type of discount you can get vary though.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I threatened to cancel Broadband after mentioning TalkTalk and was straight away offered the same deal with ntl (8mb + telephone) which i thought was weird as NTL dont do 8mb but thats what they said. Anyways i turned it down as i got BT for phone and after the nice guy and i had a little convo he put me on 10meg for £17.49 a month for 12months, i prefer the people at the cancellation department then the actual customer service staff to be honest lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote:
    I threatened to cancel Broadband after mentioning TalkTalk and was straight away offered the same deal with ntl (8mb + telephone) which i thought was weird as NTL dont do 8mb but thats what they said. Anyways i turned it down as i got BT for phone and after the nice guy and i had a little convo he put me on 10meg for £17.49 a month for 12months, i prefer the people at the cancellation department then the actual customer service staff to be honest lol.

thats what gets me about NTL and their odd ways, they
    will quite happly put people through to retain your custom, but they loose masses of potential new customers because of their weard internal rules.

try this:
    walk upto any NTL sales people in your local highstreet and they will ask if your a customer etc, tell them your interested in the internet broadband and state that you do not have a bank or BS account or other way to setup a direct debit and want to pay with 'cash' a month or even more upfront, they will still say NO they dont do that or allow it in any way.

seen it happen all the time in wythenshawe civic center, south manchester, a place that has something like 70,000 people living there and a major NTL data centre too.

however, if you can make the initial payment by direct debit then they will easly accept your cancelation of that DD and start paying by paypoint card and send you the paypoint card in the next post without any problem at an extra cost of 1 pound per month.

crazy NTL thinking , if you have the cash and are willing and offer to pay upfront a months cash payment or more then theres no valid reason why you should be refused but they do.

side thought, i seem to remember there being some law of the land that states no business can refuse a 'cash' (coin of the realm) payment and are breaking some law by doing so , can anyone confirm this as fact or is it an old UK law now recinded or some such?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually if you have broadband through a stand alone cable modem, you MUST have a bank account. It goes through a separate billing system and can only accept direct debit. So if you cancel your direct debit, you`ll just get cut off and will only get reconnected when you set up another.
    You can however, get broadband through the set top box and pay by paypoint card
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I went to cancel my 512KB Freedom connection last year, saying I was moving to Tiscali 1MB unlimited for £18 (at the time), and they matched it. The main gripe I had was with the 5GB cap, so was pleased that went!

Wish I lived in a cable area, ADSL costs so much more!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Ryrazzer wrote:
    Actually if you have broadband through a stand alone cable modem, you MUST have a bank account. It goes through a separate billing system and can only accept direct debit. So if you cancel your direct debit, you`ll just get cut off and will only get reconnected when you set up another.

I have Broadband through a stand alone modem and don't pay by direct debit. I refused to pay by direct debit until there not so fantastic new billing system would allow me to change the direct debit billing date. I just phone up once a month to pay a one off payment on my debit card..

:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryrazzer

[QUOTE:
    Originally Posted by confide
    I have Broadband through a stand alone modem and don't pay by direct debit. I refused to pay by direct debit until there not so fantastic new billing system would allow me to change the direct debit billing date. I just phone up once a month to pay a one off payment on my debit card..
    :cool:

well, theres my exact point right there, one person states how NTL dont but do allow broadband, another points out how infact they can pay the bill and get the service.

i also know that NTL did (and probably still do?) let people pay by Paypoint card at any Paypoint shop for stand alone modems admitedly with an STB too, so that does not invalidate Ryrazzer's point.

however it does show that NTL old and NEW are quite ready to loose 100's perhaps 1000's or even more of new customers for the sake of their rather odd internal thinking about not taking cash for broadband.

the question remains, WHY would NTL want to exclude people wanting to become NEW CUSTOMERS and want to pay buy cash or paypoint card!.

like i said, NTL and their ODD WAYS.

wonder what richard (branson) would think about loosing
    so many potential cash clients, that are also probably looking for or can be convinced to take other services once their inside the NTL system?.

perhaps those wythenshawe sales people were not trained in these strange NTL rules that you cant but can get broadband as above, but that also means the several sales people on the phonelines that were tryed, also thought or were told by the crib sheet on their desks, the same thing, and advised the cash customers that NTL do not allow it in any form, so you need to go elsewere with your cash payments please.

ohh and one last fact those sales people both phone and civic center said 'NTL do not allow it in any form' for the 3 for 30 pounds combined package as well as the stand alone modem package if you want to pay cash OR paypoint card....

very strange way for NTL to (not)do business indeed....
    wonder if the share holders know about this addity?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    woooooooot I called them and said I wana cancel so they gave me offer of unlimited calls and 10mb broadband for £17.49 :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    nice one mate....i gotta try that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I called them, threatened to leave for talktalk, they put me on 10mb FOR LIFE and knocked the usual £17.50 a month down to £15.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D they seem to be handing out 10meg quite easily now :D i got 10mb for 12months at £17.49 but im sure its life :D they told me to call every 3months to keep 10mb but i dont think i will have to do it. My friend signed up yday too w00t
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    They just offered me 10MB for 17.50 for 3 months i told them i'll call back tommorw when the cancelation department is open! I'll try again tommorow and see what they offer me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nimitron wrote:
    They just offered me 10MB for 17.50 for 3 months i told them i'll call back tommorw when the cancelation department is open! I'll try again tommorow and see what they offer me

0800 052 9403 then option 2 :D all i said when i rang up was "Hi, ive just had a leaflet from TalkTalk offering 8mb broadband at £21 and im thinking of cancelling my 1mb Broadband with NTL as im paying £18. I was wondering if you have any offers on that can match this?"

Then you can just add "One of my friends rang up yday and got 10mb for a year at £17.49 and id like to have that if possible" and your sorted :D

When i mentioned TalkTalk the guy straight away offered it me, gota love NTL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Great ill try that tommorw!
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    As you have a minimum 12 month contract with NTL, does the new service take a new contract, or does it take up the remaining months on the current one?
  • Options
    gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive just rang kept the 2mg but knocked down to £12.49 till august.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I phoned the 0800 number above today and was offered 2mb BB (4mb from next month) plus phone line plus talk unlimited 24 for £17.75 per month or 10mb BB and the same phone line deal for £23.25

I took the 2mb bb deal straight away, great deal with no tie ins!
  • Options
    sbaker002sbaker002 Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    i tried yesterday and got 1/2 price 2mb for 6 months and £10 off tv for 6 months also.
    not too bad for a free phone call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I rang up earlier and was offered a choice of 2MB for £12.50 a month, 10MB for £18.99 a month or "a deal on your digital TV" (which I get free at the moment anyway on the Base Pack). I took the 2MB service (which is being upgraded soon to 4MB) as I don't need 10MB and is only £2.50 more than I pay for 1MB at the moment anyway. They're also going to extend my free digital TV beyond May when it was due to expire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think NTL have clocked on this now. When I rang a few days ago, asking to cancel my connection and saying I was thinking about going to TalkTalk, the guy already had like a pre-written blurb about how TalkTalk is hype, quoting statistics about how many TalkTalk users don't get a good speed, and what regions the 8mb service is available in. (he said London only, which struck me as weird but tbh I've not researched talktalk so couldn't argue the point) etc etc.

So i replied saying that bulldog are offering up to 16 mbit now and saying I knew that my exchanged had the LLU done, and there was possibly other places like ukonline i could get a good service from etc.

So... he put me on hold for 5-10 minutes, then when he came back, he told me he had been on the phone to bulldog and the most that my postcode can receive is up to 2meg because i'm too far from the exchange for a good service (i checked this myself and it's true), and that the only place they're doing 16 mbit in is Camden (which again, i'm sure this is bullshit because my previous address was <50m from the exchange and i checked the postcode on their webpage and it offers 16mbit).

But yeah, just a warning for people to do their homework before phoning up and trying to blag a discount because it looks like NTL have clocked on and are doing their homework to see through the blags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well thanks to NTL I currently pay £37.49 a month for 2MB broadband, Base pack TV, Talk Unlimited 24 (and line rental of course).

That works out as £24.99 for TU24 (including line rental), £12.50 a month for broadband and TV comes free with the phone. Not bad if you ask me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I called today, was put on hold for over 25mins, but got through to a very helpful lady. I said I only have broadband (2mb £24.99 a month), but was thinking I might get a phone line to, but was considering TalkTalk as they're cheaper.

I got my 2mb connection (soon to be 4) half price and phone line with free calls 24/7 for £5.25 so I'm now paying only £17.75 per month for as long as I want (not just 6 or 12 months)!

Also could have added telly base pack in too for total £28.25 per month, but I don't want/need the TV package.

So worth holding the line for 25minutes :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Just been given 10mb for £17.49 ongoing no expiry, he even said 20mb should be available in my area by august apparently

i didnt have to wait in a queue and simply said i was thinking of leaving, i have been a top tier customer for 2 and a half years
  • Options
    TerryOSTerryOS Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I just rang a second ago and Im on 1MB for 17.99 and was offered 2MB for 16.99 so I took it, I asked her how long it would take to upgrade and she said right away, but in reality how long will it take and will I need to reboot?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    yes just reboot your modem, should be immediate