Options

Its amazing that George Bush became President

lordoftheflieslordoftheflies Posts: 7,879
Forum Member
He seems a few sandwiches short of a picnic, so it really is surprising that he holds the most poweful job in the world.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what does that say about the Americans...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably we are talking about George W Bush rather than his father. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GMH wrote:
    Presumably we are talking about George W Bush rather than his father. :confused:

Yeah that one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote:
    And what does that say about the Americans...

There wasn't exactly much on offer in the election in terms of quality candidates.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unicron wrote:
    There wasn't exactly much on offer in the election in terms of quality candidates.

And also they were well and truly screwed over despite the majority not voting for him.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given his connections, it's not really that amazing.

It would be amazing if he could tie his shoelaces by himself. ...Can anyone confirm this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They should have voted for Gore the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have voted for Gore the first time.

They did - remember it was found eventually he had officially won. But those chads of Dubya's brother in Florida caused enough confusion to fuse the issue.
  • Options
    SnozzwanglerSnozzwangler Posts: 82,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether I'm amazed or shocked and saddened really. Things that amaze me normally give me pleasure or happiness ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GG wrote:
    They did - remember it was found eventually he had officially won. But those chads of Dubya's brother in Florida caused enough confusion to fuse the issue.

Really. I didn't hear that, I knew it was contentious.
  • Options
    King Henry VIXKing Henry VIX Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    GG wrote:
    They did - remember it was found eventually he had officially won.

That's not actually true. But it's a popular myth that has kept comedians and angry Liberals going for 6 years now. If they'd get over it they might get somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not actually true. But it's a popular myth that has kept comedians and angry Liberals going for 6 years now. If they'd get over it they might get somewhere.

I cannot find a source that agrees with you. Even the New York Times editorial states that to be true. Link
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's talk about how amazing it is that Tony Bliar is (still) Prime Minister...I tell ya there's a LOT of gullible Brits in the UK. Well come on really....what a stupid thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's talk about how amazing it is that Tony Bliar is (still) Prime Minister...I tell ya there's a LOT of gullible Brits in the UK. Well come on really....what a stupid thread.

Not as stupid as you posting in a thread which you think is stupid :confused:

I prefer Blair to Howard anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GG wrote:
    I cannot find a source that agrees with you.
    I'd try a little harder then. You shouldn't need to try that hard.
    Even the New York Times editorial states that to be true.
    Well that confirms it then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In America, anybody can become president.

A body of water could become President.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forgot he also rigged the vote by commiting mass fraud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also wasn't the decision made by the Supreme Court, several of the judges of which were appointed by his father?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, and don't forget that they paid snipers to take out all the black voters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    He just told the bible belt what they wanted to hear, and then a few states followed.
  • Options
    CarolynJCarolynJ Posts: 1,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word: Stealection.........just sayin'
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there some controversy over dodgy votes in Florida ? Something to do with "chads" if I remember correctly.

I really wish Al Gore had won the 2000 election. Maybe he did.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and don't forget that they paid snipers to take out all the black voters.

strawman!

what did happen was some very dodgy shenenigans regarding the black vote in certain key states, particularly florida.

eg blacklisting not just known felons, but anyone with a similar name or address to known felons. this was highlighted most notably when IIRC one of Harris' staff incorrectly appeared on the list of felons.

there were also widespread reports of police road blocks preventing legitimate voters from actually voting.

of course, whether or not any of this affected the vote is anyone's guess...

Iain
  • Options
    CHaV sTicKCHaV sTicK Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're wrong about Bush. He has been a strong leader during some extremely difficult times. The way he rallied the country after 9/11 was very impressive and moving. He was the hero of the hour.

I also believe he is a man with good morals. I appreciate him being the President and I am glad be won re-election.

Oh and whoever it was who posted the link to the New York Times... for your information that is the most Liberal newspaper in the whole of America, they hate Bush with a passion. I would not consider them a credible source for any such matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems a few sandwiches short of a picnic, so it really is surprising that he holds the most poweful job in the world.

You need to understand exactly what kind of country America is.

Forget things like New York and San Fransico - that is not America. There are a few exceptional cities with liberal people and free thinkers etc., but they are not reflective of America as a whole.

Real America is Iowa, Utah, North Dakota, Alabama.

Very conservative, often religious (often fundemental Christians as well) and extremely patriotic and insular. Most of these people will never step foot out of their state, let alone the country. They believe that they have a God given country, that is under attack from evil people (evil takes a different form depending what decade we're in - right now it's Arab Muslims) and that they must defend that right until the death.

And George W Bush delivers that solution to them.

That's why.