Options

Setanta - bad for HD?

bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I believe that Setanta only do 4:3 broadcasts - not even widescreen. So losing 2 of the soccer packages to them is bad news for 1080 fans I suppose?

Another package to pay out for too for those that are really into footie... :(
H

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    setanta dont do 16:9 widescreen as you say, and they will never have HD. i think setanta are crap in comparason with sky. I know Sky will show all the 92 games in HD - setanta wont even show their 47 in 16:9 - shows who wants to spend money eh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.
    I would have liked the PL to tag the HD provision onto their content packages, barring that at least force 16:9 onto any broadcaster interested in bidding.
    However the mighty EU who have no interest in footy except as a means to impose their will on the UK probably would have blocked any restriction that may have favoured a forwarding thinking and major investor such as SKY.
    Then again it would have made things easier for the BBC to get a package.

Come the 2007/08 season the amount of HD footy will drop unless Setanta drastically change their current policy, if not then then hardly progress either in coverage or access.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Come the 2007/8 season Sky will be showing 92 games compaired to the current 88 games, so Sky have more games available for HD. As for Setanta, I hope that they at least discover widescreen technology before the season starts :D HD may follow but would require huge cost which would have to come through subscriptions. The Setanta package is currently £14 per month, watch that go up next year when prem games start :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture quality is awful on Setanta. Green blobby mess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By 2007 I would expect Setanta to be in Widescreen, seeing as they are looking into moving into newer Broadcasting Facilites which will allow Widescreen, and also likely at least 1 of the Setanta Sports UK channels going full time. At present some things are just not possible.

As for HD it will be a while, Setanta don't have the funds compared to the mighty BBC and BSKYB. For me though I'am glad in a way cause I already have Setanta, so likely will not need to pay a Prem Plus Charge, though the quality on Prem Plus is great, likely with the new package deal everyone misses some quality because Prem Plus operates at a Higher Bitrate than Sky Sports.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lack of an affordable STB - Sky Italia's for example, is bad for HD.

Setanta is just bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Setanta certainly have money, if they we're able to afford 2 of the packages. And they will definitley get alot more money from advertising, its also not until the 2007/2008 season so they have plenty of time to upgrade to HD capabilities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Setanta winning 2 packages is bad for the consumer - as I suspected - rather than good for the consumer as the EU commission stated.

Reason - now anyone wanting to watch all live premiership games will have to subscribe to Setanta in addition to Sky - thus costing more. :mad: :eek: :(

The only way this could ever have been better for the consumer is if one of the packages had to be on free to air.

Why is it, whenever the EU pokes its nose in then everyone suffers? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvjunkie wrote:
    Setanta certainly have money, if they we're able to afford 2 of the packages. And they will definitley get alot more money from advertising, its also not until the 2007/2008 season so they have plenty of time to upgrade to HD capabilities.

Just like SKY they have spent money they don't actually have yet, the cost of the footy will come out of the extra subscriptions they expect to generate.

The same business model was used by ITV Digital and well we know what happended there:)
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhill wrote:
    The only way this could ever have been better for the consumer is if one of the packages had to be on free to air.
    No, Setanta having packages is better for the consumer. It means that those who can't afford a Sky subscription are now able to watch live Premiership football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, Setanta having packages is better for the consumer. It means that those who can't afford a Sky subscription are now able to watch live Premiership football.

What f***ing planet are you on - Setanta is a PPV channel at present - they are more liekly to increase there charges per month than make them free. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhill wrote:
    What f***ing planet are you on
    Gallifrey.
    - Setanta is a PPV channel at present - they are more liekly to increase there charges per month than make them free. :mad:
    Setant isn't just a PPV channel. Currently, they offer 7 channels for £14/month, which you can get without a Sky (or cable) subscription. I can't see that increasing too much, even with EPL rights.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Setanta deal is good for some people and bad for others.

However that is the nature of pay-tv. If they can make you pay through the nose for something you had reasonable before they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gallifrey.

Setant isn't just a PPV channel. Currently, they offer 7 channels for £14/month, which you can get without a Sky (or cable) subscription. I can't see that increasing too much, even with EPL rights.

Well they have to pay for the £390m some how, and now they have these rights they will have some bargaining power to increase their charges.

How do you receive it without a sky subscription?

Whilst a would like sky to drop the charge for the rubbish channels and allow me to have free to air and movies and sports only this ain't likely to happen.

A secondary point re premiership footie - what is happening to the excellent football first live replayed and extended highlights packages on a Sat evening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhill wrote:
    How do you receive it without a sky subscription?
    All you need is a DSAT receiver, Setanta Sports viewing card and a dish pointing at 28.2E.
    A secondary point re premiership footie - what is happening to the excellent football first live replayed and extended highlights packages on a Sat evening?
    Highlights packages will be sold in due course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Setanta Sports Ireland is free on NTL in ireland,

Setanta Sports Package (including NASN) is only 14pounds per month on sky, compared to Sky Sports on Sky which is 17pounds..
    so Setanta shows 46 games at 14pounds a month
    Sky Sports shows 92 games at 17pounds a month plus Prem Plus.. which is 50pounds for its season.. usually prem-plus shows around 46 games.. so that means. that sky sports are showing 46 games at 17 pounds a month!

so all in all its not bad.. if u only like Premiership Footy then Setanta is a viable option.. that is unless they do PPV per match.. ala Prem Plus.. in which case we're all screwed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvjunkie wrote:
    Setanta Sports Package (including NASN) is only 14pounds per month on sky, compared to Sky Sports on Sky which is 17pounds..
    Since you don't actually need a Sky subscription to get Setanta, Sky is £34 per month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    to get sport on sky though am i not right in thinking you have to subscribe to all the other crap before you can subscribe to sports and then once you've added that it works out only a few pounds more to get movies. in total its 42.50. with setanta you'll probably have to subscribe seperately, but at least you'll proabably be able to do this without subscribing to other stuff. What i'm getting at is that at the moment skys pricing is done in a clever way, they know full well that if you could say pay 15 -20 pounds just for sport then many people would not bother with any of the other channels. Initially it will be worse for the consumer as they will have to pay more but the fact that there is now two providers will help to stimulate competetion and keep the price as low as possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pacnhami wrote:
    to get sport on sky though am i not right in thinking you have to subscribe to all the other crap before you can subscribe to sports and then once you've added that it works out only a few pounds more to get movies. in total its 42.50. with setanta you'll probably have to subscribe seperately, but at least you'll proabably be able to do this without subscribing to other stuff. What i'm getting at is that at the moment skys pricing is done in a clever way, they know full well that if you could say pay 15 -20 pounds just for sport then many people would not bother with any of the other channels.
    Spot on.
    Initially it will be worse for the consumer as they will have to pay more but the fact that there is now two providers will help to stimulate competetion and keep the price as low as possible
    Again, it's only bad for those who are greedy enough to want to see all live EPL matches. For people who just want a few (and don't care who's playing) then it's an excellent deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cheapest you can get Sky Sports is £34 a month. Of course you get rather more than just some Premiership games for your £34, whereas Setanta's other offerings are, er, niche.

I would think that Sky would be broadly happy with Setanta getting the gig. It means they lose their Premiership Plus thing, but there won't be a major move away from the Sky platform.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    There is talk of Setanta showing the matches on freeview via top up TV - if there was a package say £10 a month via a freeview box I think a lot of people would ditch Sky. The only other channel I would miss is Sky One - esp. since Film Four is going to free view soon as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I'm just going to enjoy Prem Plus for next season in HD - the last one. I'll spend the money I save in the following season on a few HD discs instead.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what ITV/ VirginTV/others think - nothing for them. Ha!

H
  • Options
    Rd100Rd100 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Nasn was in 16:9 and HD, You think the pic qulity on the football on setanta is bad you should see the pic qulity on the NASN channels it is very bad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    My source at Setanta says they'll be investing "hugely" for the Premiership. If they're to be competitive, they'll have to offer HD. Am waiting for definite word on the HD issue now. All the OB contractors they'll be using will be HD/5.1 ready in any case.