Options

CH4 does u-turn on pulling red button service....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,140
Forum Member
Published: 20 April 2006 00:00

Channel 4 has performed a u-turn, launching a red-button service around this year's Big Brother just months after pulling the plug on interactive TV programming.

Despite branding iTV technology "clunky" and "inefficient", Channel 4 is planning to allow viewers to press red for extended footage from the reality TV house, NMA can reveal.

This will coincide with the launch of a significantly revamped Big Brother Web site, which will focus more heavily on video content. For the first time, a series of advertiser-funded programme clips will be made available free of charge to broadband Internet and mobile phone users.

When the seventh series of Big Brother launches next month, those watching youth entertainment channel E4 will be able to use their remote control to access a live stream of the housemates in action.

Channel 4 insists that its position on iTV remains unchanged, with no red-button voting, news or gaming applications around this year's series of the reality show. It has also dismantled its iTV team within the new media division to divert funds into developing services for broadband Internet and mobile platforms

"When we announced we were pulling our 24:7 iTV portal we made it clear we would continue to provide some red-button services where significant opportunities existed," said Andy Taylor, MD of Channel 4 New Media. "For Big Brother we've always offered our viewers the opportunity to watch the live stream and E4 proposes to offer this service this year."

While Channel 4 has shifted its strategic focus away from iTV, the decision to launch a red-button service around its biggest show leaves the door open for the medium.

Rival broadcasters remain committed to using iTV to enhance their schedules, with ITV, Five, the BBC and Sky continually rolling out new applications.

channel4.com

http://2mad.co.uk/Main/News/Disciplines/Media/TV/Articles/9e88c43e23934ac19cedb26b28ff9c0f/Channel-4-plans-iTV-content-for-BB-despite-red-button-retreat.html

Comments

• Options
    BoredStudentBoredStudent Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news.
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YEY!!! If this is correct then its the best news I've had all year - sad but true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I so hope this is true!
    thank you for that :0)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmmm they didnt have it for CBB4......bowing down to presssure?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,140
    Forum Member
    sorry...I think that link may say you need to subscribe, I found the article through google and it let me access it without........
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like C4 I dislike the iTV technology (no, I HATE it) but if that's the only way to get increased live coverge it'll have to do.
  • Options
    adamcmadamcm Posts: 4,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woohoo!! good news.
  • Options
    ftw774ftw774 Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Have to say I'm relieved at this news. I couldn't give a stuff about anything else, but the thought of BB without red button coverage was just too much to handle. :eek: Yay! :D
  • Options
    moogestermoogester Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D Fantastic news :D Wonder if they'll use 705 for digital viewers again?
  • Options
    StewartFStewartF Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant news. :D
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woohoo *does a series of cartwheels through the thread* :o Maybe should have tucked my skirt into my knickers first. :D
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Will it be on Freeview though?
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scots rool wrote:
    Woohoo *does a series of cartwheels through the thread* :o Maybe should have tucked my skirt into my knickers first. :D
    oooh you big tease. ;):D
  • Options
    steg1988steg1988 Posts: 8,689
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote:

That's what I'm wondering!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steg1988 wrote:
    That's what I'm wondering!

I've already asked the 'experts' on the Fview forum :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote:
    Can't really see any reason why it wouldn't be. :)
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is excellent news. They seem to have got everything right so far in the lead up to BB7, so things are now looking really promosing. The only thing I'm not liking is the golden ticket twist.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    im looking forward to the new look bb website. they are focusing on video content, does this mean that we may be able to choose between cameras on the webstream! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote:

That's the $64000 question.

Only by removing a channel - either Quiz Call or E4+1. More4+1 is also possible until it's needed for FilmFour in July.

The '705' stream only appeared on launch day so there is still time yet for something to happen.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
  • Options
    moogestermoogester Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote:
    im looking forward to the new look bb website. they are focusing on video content, does this mean that we may be able to choose between cameras on the webstream! :D

It's taken them long enough to update it, I've always been surprised how basic it is compared to other countries' BB official websites
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote:

OMG I was so happy about the red button that I didn't even notice what the article said about the BB website.

It says we will see a "significantly revamped BB website". This is really good news, as a revamp is way, way, way overdue for the website. It's looked excatly the same since BB2. During BB1, the website looked great so I hope they return to something like that.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote:

You expect us to believe you wear them? :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lnp wrote:
    That's the $64000 question.

Only by removing a channel - either Quiz Call or E4+1. More4+1 is also possible until it's needed for FilmFour in July.

The '705' stream only appeared on launch day so there is still time yet for something to happen.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

I think the Filmfour idea is a good one. Seeing as More4+1 has to go in July anyway, they could use it for BB Live on Freeview until then. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electra wrote:
    You expect us to believe you wear them? :rolleyes: :D
    :o Shhhhhh......don't let everyone know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone want to ring the press line now and find out if it will be on freeview, If you pm me I can give you the number?