Options

When will Someone keep the FREEVIEW EPG up to date???

doverrogdoverrog Posts: 345
Forum Member
:eek: When will the programmers realise that those of us who set our recorders also want to watch a programme!
The EPG on Freeview seems to be ignored when programmes are running late or changed at last moments.
For the latest example we had set the Sony 710 recorder for the film "Essex Boys" and due to (yes - you guessed it) football overrunning were experated to find that at 1h55m the recording stopped and cut off the end of the film!!! :mad:
It simply isn't good enough to provide an EPG and fail to bother to update it.
I hope someone out there will take note and perhaps get round to making sure programme information is kept current.

Comments

• Options
    ooohhhhEL1111ooohhhhEL1111 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always thought it was impossible to change the EPG once it has been published and downloaded by boxes??
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    doverrog wrote:
    It simply isn't good enough to provide an EPG and fail to bother to update it.

The EPG was up-to-date when I checked it. The problem is that most of the boxes don't update their recording times (the Sonys definitely don't) a la PDC. When the TVAnytime EPG finally gets broadcast, this functionality should come back (even though it is possible to do this with the current EPG).

With the 4TV boxes you are screwed both ways, because the EPG only updates once a day.

Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 4tv downloaded EPG can't be dynamically changed however the BBC do sometimes update their EPG when programmes run late.

I am not sure how effective this is with pre-programmed timers though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about some software updates then? If Sky can manage it then surely Freeview can!
    Incidently has anyone had a software update since they installed a 710?
  • Options
    Stereo JackStereo Jack Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    jelly_p wrote:
    The 4tv downloaded EPG can't be dynamically changed however the BBC do sometimes update their EPG when programmes run late.

I am not sure how effective this is with pre-programmed timers though?

Yep. Due to the FA Cup Final overrunning, Doctor Who was put back from 7.00 to 7.20 & the change did occur on my EPG before the program started. Unfortunately I had to make the amendments myself in my PVR’s (Hummy 9200T) recording schedule.
  • Options
    Secret-SquirrelSecret-Squirrel Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sagem PVR and you can set it so that it keeps recording after the scheduled end of a programme. I have set mine to 10 minutes but other values can be set. The main drawback is if you want to record two progeammes in quick succession.
  • Options
    derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just wish they could bring back channel NTL that was transmitting back in the days of ON-DIGITAL. it had prog listings for today and tomorrow for evey channel on the digital platform at the time. :)
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sagem PVR and you can set it so that it keeps recording after the scheduled end of a programme. I have set mine to 10 minutes but other values can be set. The main drawback is if you want to record two progeammes in quick succession.
    My Pace handles that automatically - with my padding (-2 and +5)

Set a timer for 0800 - 0900
    It will record 0758 - 0905

Set a timer for 0800 - 0900
    and a timer for 0900 - 1000
    and it will record 0758-0900 and 0900 - 1005
    How neat is that?

That has caught the end of evey programme and the start of 99% - except Dr Who where it's cut the end three times now, dispite me adding 10 minutes to the run time last week - argh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    kev wrote:
    ... has caught the end of evey programme and the start of 99% - except Dr Who where it's cut the end three times now, dispite me adding 10 minutes to the run time last week - argh!
    ... I know the feeling, so I decided to record from BBC3 on Fridays... no problems whatsoever, on time every time! I know it may be 6 days later, however, being usually behind with viewing (and avoiding spoliers from mean people, especially by those on GMTV :mad: ) I am a happy bunny... that is until the BBC ready this thread and spite us :rolleyes:
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather suspect the problem is not with the EPG as such but the STB/PVR software.

Last Saturday for example when the footie overran the EPG on my box did catch-up with the re-scheduling on BBC1. However I strongly suspect that had I set a timer for Doctor Who for example that the change in the EPG would not have been reflected in the timer list.

As far as I can see from using the device the timer list does not refer back to the EPG in anyway. When you select a programme to record or whatever in the EPG all it does is set a start time, end time and channel in the list. The list then stays with that data regardless of any subsequent changes to the EPG.

So it isn't that the EPG doesn't update but rather that the box does not have any link between the timer list and EPG. So that when the EPG changes it doesn't update the timer list to match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote:
    I rather suspect the problem is not with the EPG as such but the STB/PVR software.

As far as I can see from using the device the timer list does not refer back to the EPG in anyway. When you select a programme to record or whatever in the EPG all it does is set a start time, end time and channel in the list. The list then stays with that data regardless of any subsequent changes to the EPG.

So it isn't that the EPG doesn't update but rather that the box does not have any link between the timer list and EPG. So that when the EPG changes it doesn't update the timer list to match.

I suspect that you may be right. However its seems that the EPG is not being updated AND those of us with Sony kit need a software update to link the recorder to the EPG.
    So we have two problems!
    I'm interested to hear Sagem can get aoubd the recorder problem, so come on SONY how about getting your kit put right?
    As to the EPG it seems that the broadcasters need to treat FREEVIEW with the attention and service its deserves now it has become a success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've recently complained to the BBC again about the EPGs not being kept accurate. This was when the Football on the Saturday before last caused eveything to run late, The SKY EPG wasn't altered and of course any recordings set were messed up!
    However, the BBC has come back with the attached response which I think is pretty encouraging. :)
    Lets hope that the FREEVIEW EPG will be sorted soon.

"There is an operational member of staff who sits in the programme playout
    suite, from 6.30am to midnight, seven days a week, next to the playout
    editor. In the case of live events overrunning, as soon as it is decided
    how the schedule will be affected, we make the change - literally within
    seconds.

Having made the change to our schedules, however, we are totally at the
    mercy of the technological chain that leads to the viewers' boxes.

The schedule revisions are sent to the Sky platform, Freeview and the
    listings pages of bbc.co.uk. The time it takes for a change to reach each
    destination varies considerably and is dependant on many factors outside
    our control.

As a general rule we would expect changes to get through to Freeview within
    a few minutes. Sky takes slightly longer - up to around 15 minutes. The BBC
    web pages are unfortunately the slowest to update, usually taking a couple
    of hours.

For an update that we make to reach the viewer's box, whatever the
    platform, several different computer systems must talk to each other, and
    it is here regrettably that most problems occur.

I arranged to have the EPG unit's operational handover for Saturday 24th
    June examined and it seems that they were experiencing slower than usual
    updates to the Sky and Freeview platforms that night, which was reported to
    the technical support provider.

The issue of recordings being affected is further complicated by the fact
    that each platform uses the information that we send differently, even once
    they have received it.

Sky boxes do use programme 'triggers' to start and stop recordings that
    have been set in advance. With Freeview, however, only the BBC channels
    currently support these triggers and so the vast majority of box
    manufacturers have not implemented the triggering functionality. This means
    that for Freeview viewers, even if they receive our schedule updates, the
    recording start/stop time will not be changed.

The Freeview technology is in the process of being updated to support
    programme triggers across all channels and the hope is that, by this
    Christmas, new Freeview boxes will appear that use the trigger feed the BBC
    sends."

Hope that's of interest. WELL DONE the BBC :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd better put off buying a new box until christmas:)
    an EPG ready sticker may be useful
    unless the dixocurrys lads start sticking them on every box :(
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote:

Last Saturday for example when the footie overran the EPG on my box did catch-up with the re-scheduling on BBC1. However I strongly suspect that had I set a timer for Doctor Who for example that the change in the EPG would not have been reflected in the timer list.

I am sure I had set the timer for Doctor Who on my Toppy. When I got home it hadn't recorded it . I suspect, as above, that the EPG changed but the Toppy could not cope with this change and so did not record. BTW I had the Myspace and eit2mei Taps installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doverrog wrote:
    Sky boxes do use programme 'triggers' to start and stop recordings that have been set in advance. With Freeview, however, only the BBC channels currently support these triggers and so the vast majority of box manufacturers have not implemented the triggering functionality. This means that for Freeview viewers, even if they receive our schedule updates, the recording start/stop time will not be changed.

The Freeview technology is in the process of being updated to support programme triggers across all channels and the hope is that, by this Christmas, new Freeview boxes will appear that use the trigger feed the BBC sends."

Hope that's of interest. WELL DONE the BBC :)
    I need to know more about these triggers.
    If theyre just issued once at the beginning and end of programmes that's next to useless as that will be just the point that a bit of interference comes in.

If there's a continual repeated signal saying 'Doctor Who' through the programme which changes to 'continuity' 'Dads Army' 'continuity' etc then the PVR can just be set up to record as long as it sees 'Dads Army'.
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to know more about these triggers.

The trigger they are referring to is the running status table. This specifies when a programme is running, and also gives a few seconds warning of the start of the next programme. The running status table is continually repeated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DX30 wrote:
    The trigger they are referring to is the running status table. This specifies when a programme is running, and also gives a few seconds warning of the start of the next programme. The running status table is continually repeated.
    good :) is there a technical note?
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good :) is there a technical note?

If you want the specs in question refer to ETSI EN 300 468, but it's not light reading. The website is www.etsi.org
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely hanging on for one of the new Freeview Playback (I think that's what they're to be called) type PVR's, as series link is also suggested as one of the features of that. Having a PVR that doesn't keep up with published schedule changes is a bit unappealing.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of problems are down to the channels. ITV, in particular, seems to be very sloppy about updating its EPG, even when it's not affected by live events. The number of times SWMBO has complained about 'Oprah' being cut off "halfway through" (although it's probably only the last 5 mins being lost!)... I may have to increase the 'auto-padding' to 10 mins.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good news for Sony 710 owners.
    Sony have told me that the 710 is their first recorder to include the facility to change recording times when broadcasters change the EPG.
    However it needs the triggers to be sent and of course the BBC is the only one doing this so far.
    So come on Commercial Companies get your act together and catch up with the BBC!