Options

Humax 9200 On another TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
I currently have Sky+ and am about to scrap it for a Humax 9200.

Was decidind between Humax 9200/Topfield 5800 but both have their pros and cons and I've decided upon the Humax... except...

Can I get a bit of kit that will allow me to both watch the hummy upstairs on a second TV and change the channel on the box from that room. I do this on Sky using their magic eye.

Is it technically impossible or has no-one made the thing yet?

I found what I think I want on satcure but not entirely convinced, although I have my suspicions it would work on the toppy. Don't want to fork out £40 quid and bet burnt!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Yup. I have a transmitter doofer thing from maplins. You plug it into the second output of the hummy and it transmitts the signal to another device plugged into a telly via scart/svideo.

It also sends the IR (assuming you either take the remote upstairs with you or buy a second compatible one).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I bought one from Tescos last year (the radio transmitter to allow you to view on another TV and control any devices, VCR/PVR/DVD included, using your remote in another room.

It cost less than £20.

A similar device is available from argos for £25

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344273.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    This sounds really interesting, I never even considered this before.

If I bought one of those, would the 2nd TV need to be plugged into a main arial point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    carolinegb wrote:
    This sounds really interesting, I never even considered this before.

If I bought one of those, would the 2nd TV need to be plugged into a main arial point?

Nope. Up until this weekend I had a telly in the kitchen which had no aerial plugged in at all. It only had a connection to the radio receiver via the tellys scart socket on the back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this work wirelessly? I would like to continue to use the coaxial cable which is already in place if possible.

Sounds a bit behind the times I know....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    webformer wrote:
    Does this work wirelessly? I would like to continue to use the coaxial cable which is already in place if possible.

Sounds a bit behind the times I know....

It works wirelessly, yes, using the same frequency band as cordless DECT phones and wireless computer networks. So if you have either/both of those then it can interfere a little.

I don't know if the Humax 9200T outputs a signal through the UHF port or whether it's just a pass-through.
  • Options
    mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    If you already have a coax cable fitted , you can get a unit which enables you to use a remote eye on top of the 'far' television to relay the remote controls back down the UHF coax into an aerial amplifier , that then has an infra-red transmitter unit which can be placed in line of sight of the Humax and allows you to control it . The ones we sell here come with two transmitter units so that you can control two appliances , if you position your sensors well , you could control more ... With more remote eyes you could have control from more rooms too .

Ask your friendly retailer for a Philex Omni Link+ .

The 9200T has an excellent UHF modulator , so the pictures can indeed be distributed around the house , mine is fed to four sets , in four rooms .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    mkstevo wrote:
    The 9200T has an excellent UHF modulator , so the pictures can indeed be distributed around the house , mine is fed to four sets , in four rooms .

I also distribute the 9200T output to a number of TVs, one via a long SCART cable (10m) under the floor and the rest via coax.

I'm going to be fitting more scart as the quality of the RF is pretty bad no matter how good the modulator. Even composite is better.

The 9200T's modulator is "OK". Stereo would be nice.

I use PowerMids to control everything and MX-500 universal remotes. All our gear (9200T, DVD, VCR, Network Media Player, Ir->X10 ) is in the cupboard under the stairs.

This setup commands a *very* high wifely approval factor.

Ian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    popeydc wrote:
    It works wirelessly, yes, using the same frequency band as cordless DECT phones and wireless computer networks. So if you have either/both of those then it can interfere a little.

I don't know if the Humax 9200T outputs a signal through the UHF port or whether it's just a pass-through.
    DECT phones work on a different frequency (at least mine does) but the wireless router is a PITA, causing regular impulse interference on the remote telly in the kitchen. I have changed channels on router and receiver box, re-orientated aerials, wrapped aerials in Bacofoil - just about everything - but still I get the interference. What effect the video Tx/Rx is having on my network connection speed (select favourite deity) knows.

BA
  • Options
    MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this. I had came across the Omnilink last night and almost bought, but thought that the retailers site looked a bit dodgy for processing a card payment.

Can anyone recommend a secure site?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I apologise in advance for my naivete, but if I linked my bedroom TV to my 9200 downstairs with a wireless AV sender, would I be able to watch a recorded programme whilst someone else was watching the 9200 live?

I suspect that the 9200 transmission would be the same on both TVs, but would love to be told otherwise :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    stephenbw wrote:

I suspect that the 9200 transmission would be the same on both TVs, but would love to be told otherwise :)

That is correct, the technology is certainly there for dual outputs but i don't know of any pvr's with this ability.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    you can link your 9200 to other tv's just like sky using a tvlink plus, using your existing coax & magic eyes.
  • Options
    steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webformer wrote:
    I currently have Sky+ and am about to scrap it for a Humax 9200.

Was decidind between Humax 9200/Topfield 5800 but both have their pros and cons and I've decided upon the Humax... except...

Can I get a bit of kit that will allow me to both watch the hummy upstairs on a second TV and change the channel on the box from that room. I do this on Sky using their magic eye.

Is it technically impossible or has no-one made the thing yet?

I found what I think I want on satcure but not entirely convinced, although I have my suspicions it would work on the toppy. Don't want to fork out £40 quid and bet burnt!

Thanks

This is what i use

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlinkplus.htm

The sky+ box is still plugged in, and the tv link plus goes between the sky+ and the coaxial to the bedroom, there are 2 "fingers" in the living room , that are placed near the items that you want to take into the other room, say the Humax and the dvd player, so the magic eye that is already in the bedroom, will (the remotes for) then work with the sky+, the humax and the dvd.

Hope that makes sense!
  • Options
    mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    NeilLeeds "That is correct, the technology is certainly there for dual outputs but i don't know of any pvr's with this ability."

Didn't the Pace twin have the ability to watch different programmes on different rooms ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mkstevo wrote:
    NeilLeeds "That is correct, the technology is certainly there for dual outputs but i don't know of any pvr's with this ability."

Didn't the Pace twin have the ability to watch different programmes on different rooms ?

Not as far as i know but i may be wrong, with it being the first freeview pvr developed i doubt it.
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neilleeds wrote:
    mkstevo wrote:

Not as far as i know but i may be wrong, with it being the first freeview pvr developed i doubt it.

The Pace Twin can two output different channels, so you can watch one via the scart and another via RF. The remote even has two sets of channel buttons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DX30 wrote:
    The Pace Twin can two output different channels, so you can watch one via the scart and another via RF. The remote even has two sets of channel buttons.

Thats pretty cool, maybe the problems it had have persuaded other manufacturers not to include yet more complexity.
  • Options
    PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neilleeds wrote:
    Thats pretty cool, maybe the problems it had have persuaded other manufacturers not to include yet more complexity.

The Panasonic TUCTH100 has the abilty to output recorded programmes via the 2nd scart whilst watching live TV through the primary scart or RF output.

This was designed for archiving purposes, but can be used to watch a recorded programme in 1 room whilst watching live TV in another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    This is what i use

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlinkplus.htm

The sky+ box is still plugged in, and the tv link plus goes between the sky+ and the coaxial to the bedroom, there are 2 "fingers" in the living room , that are placed near the items that you want to take into the other room, say the Humax and the dvd player, so the magic eye that is already in the bedroom, will (the remotes for) then work with the sky+, the humax and the dvd.

Hope that makes sense!

I think it does make sense, i nolonger have sky but use the coaxial cable/ i had fitted to my 2nd tv to the Humax rf2.

However it is not compatible with the upstairs tv link as it has noway of talking to the Humax.
    I have checked out the tv link plus site, which seems to say it'll plug into my Humax, again using my existing coaxial that goes to tv 2 and the upstairs tv link i have and it'll do the job.

I just want to check thats all correct, I looked to order one, they are 29.99 but out of stock.

When i searched the web for them, you can buy them without the power adaptor for £20.
    I know the Humax does have an option to send power through the rf out, does this mean i don't need an adaptor??

Hope you can confirm this.
  • Options
    steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fbz1501 wrote:
    I think it does make sense, i nolonger have sky but use the coaxial cable/ i had fitted to my 2nd tv to the Humax rf2.

However it is not compatible with the upstairs tv link as it has noway of talking to the Humax.
    I have checked out the tv link plus site, which seems to say it'll plug into my Humax, again using my existing coaxial that goes to tv 2 and the upstairs tv link i have and it'll do the job.

I just want to check thats all correct, I looked to order one, they are 29.99 but out of stock.

When i searched the web for them, you can buy them without the power adaptor for £20.
    I know the Humax does have an option to send power through the rf out, does this mean i don't need an adaptor??

Hope you can confirm this.

I bought mine from a different website as it was cheaper, but i would have to look out the invoice as i can't remember now what the site was!

The one i got was without a power adaptor, using the now FTA Sky+ i have already wired up in the living room, the tvlink plus plugs into the RF2 slot on the sky+, then the coaxial that was plugged into RF2 now plugs into the tvlink plus, place the 2 "fingers" that comes with the tvlink plus, in front or beside the box (es) that you want to control infared red control, then the set up already in the 2nd room should now work with the remote controls for the equipment you have placed the tvlink plus fingers beside in the living room.

I have tried these wireless AV senders, but i've never managed to get a decent signal on them, let alone what happens when someone walks past them, the cat knocks them down, or the microwave is on!!

With a coaxial already in place, the picture quality from the Humax in the bedroom, is really good for a RF signal, from a personal view, it is much much better than the signal the Sky+ sends to the bedroom tv.

The tvlink plus takes it's power from the Sky+ box, from my understanding from the instructions that came with the tvlink plus, the product needs a power adaptor if there is no sky box to plug it into.

Here is how to link up a tvlink plus
    http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlinkplusdiag.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dougk wrote:
    I bought one from Tescos last year (the radio transmitter to allow you to view on another TV and control any devices, VCR/PVR/DVD included, using your remote in another room.

It cost less than £20.

A similar device is available from argos for £25

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344273.htm

Thanks for this. I bought one from Argos on Saturday, although it wasn't the one pictured in the link, it was a Philex 27988 with 4 channels for £24.99. Thought it didn't work until I realised that the transmitter and receiver were set to different channels :o
    If was fine when I changed both to channel 2. Not as sharp a picture as the downstairs tv, but perfectly watchable when I want to watch something recorded in my bedroom.