Options

the sky HD upgrade thread!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Bought from ebuyer.com for £269 though I see it's now gone up to £290. Seagate ST3750640AS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norm wrote:
    My box actually didn't have any sticker warning about voiding the warranty.

The box itself indeed has no warranty sticker and / or seal but surely your hard drive plastic cradle had one of the bottom screw holes covered by "Warranty Void if damaged" sticker ... :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. From the photos, that's where I was expecting to find it but it wasn't there and there was nothing suggesting there ever had been one.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt complain Norm ;) it just means if you have any problems then you can put the original HDD back in and no warrenty will have been voided..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Got HD installed this morning. Put in new 750gb Seagate using copy+ software. Working fine at the moment. Can drive noise when recording one thing and watching another, otherwise OK. What noise there is is not to bad anyway.

Only one screw left over after putting everthing back together!

There was a sticker! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Has anyone found a way to play the HD files via a PC, once copied from the drive in your HD box to an external drive?
    I have recorded the Italy France match and would like to play it on my computer as well as on my HD box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moocow wrote:
    Only one screw left over after putting everthing back together!

Me too. I still haven't figured out where it came from, even after having been back in the case a couple of times. And I only got as far as opening up the inner metal case, so it must have been from the plastic stuff somewhere!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    ralferoo wrote:
    Me too. I still haven't figured out where it came from, even after having been back in the case a couple of times. And I only got as far as opening up the inner metal case, so it must have been from the plastic stuff somewhere!

When I suggested to my non technical friend that i was thinking of doing this upgrade, he suggested " I must have a screw loose" perhaps this is the one ;)

Paul
  • Options
    adhawkinsadhawkins Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    gnollo wrote:
    Has anyone found a way to play the HD files via a PC, once copied from the drive in your HD box to an external drive?
    I have recorded the Italy France match and would like to play it on my computer as well as on my HD box.
    They'll almost certainly be encrypted in the same way as the ones on a 'normal' Sky+ are.

You might be able to play the ones from the BBC I guess?

Andy
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    You wont be able to play ANY of the stored programs on any normal PC. The file format isnt readable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ralferoo wrote:

What colour was the screw ? If it was silver, it's probably the one in the underside of the card slot compartment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norm wrote:
    Bought from ebuyer.com for £269 though I see it's now gone up to £290. Seagate ST3750640AS.

I put in a ST3750640AS this afternoon. Works fine ! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to say I see it's gone back down to £265 at ebuyer - Seagate 750gb
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick_UK wrote:
    What colour was the screw ? If it was silver, it's probably the one in the underside of the card slot compartment.

It is silver, but it's not from there. That screw doesn't need to come out anyway.
  • Options
    papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Is it as simple as taking the old hard drive out and just re fitting the 500gb drive... doesnt the new drive need the software on it....

Sorry if i have missed something but I want to do it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Is it as simple as taking the old hard drive out and just re fitting the 500gb drive... doesnt the new drive need the software on it....

Sorry if i have missed something but I want to do it

For a 500Gb it really is that simple - fit the new drive and perform a Full System Reset.

For drives larger than 500Gb you will need the Copy+ software to create the required partition which also has the advantage that you can copy all your existing recordings to the new drive.
  • Options
    scgfscgf Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    OK. I'm ready to order the Seagate 750GB drive, but I will need a SATA PCI adapter for my PC.

Can anyone tell me exactly what to order? My current PC is standard IDE so I will need power adapters and SATA leads too. It is the PCI card that is confusing me.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scgf wrote:
    OK. I'm ready to order the Seagate 750GB drive, but I will need a SATA PCI adapter for my PC.

Can anyone tell me exactly what to order? My current PC is standard IDE so I will need power adapters and SATA leads too. It is the PCI card that is confusing me.

Many thanks.

One of these from Ebuyer will do the trick. It only comes with one SATA signal cable, so you will also need one of these and if your power supply doesn't have SATA power connectors, you will also need a couple of these too.
  • Options
    scgfscgf Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Nick_UK. Very helpful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    chippo wrote:
    For a 500Gb it really is that simple - fit the new drive and perform a Full System Reset.

For drives larger than 500Gb you will need the Copy+ software to create the required partition which also has the advantage that you can copy all your existing recordings to the new drive.
    do you now were i can pick up the 500gb from and how much,sorry if this has been said before
  • Options
    poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    ncmorgan wrote:
    do you now were i can pick up the 500gb from and how much,sorry if this has been said before

THe best 500gb hard drive for the sky HD is the western digital SE16 drive. It runs cool and quiet and is designed for PVR use. (just remember and run accoustic management software on it first). cheapest is currently DAbs.com at £155. And its got a 5 year warranty!

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=42DD&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=wd5000ks&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Ebuyer has them for £152.12

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/108235
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone summarise which 500Gb and 750Gb hard drives work in the Sky HD box, and will they work straight out-of-the-box?

Thanks
  • Options
    poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    milanlad wrote:
    Could someone summarise which 500Gb and 750Gb hard drives work in the Sky HD box, and will they work straight out-of-the-box?

Thanks

Just thought I'd post my findings.

Having too much time/money I bought three drives. A western digital WD5000KS, a Maxtor 6H500F0 and the seagate ST375064AS, to test in the SKYHD. Using copy+ I've installed each one after the other. The biggest, the seagate has been discounted as it really is very, very loud. click, click, whir clunk. It doesnt have accoustic management, and as such, cant be quietened, so avoid. The maxtor and the western digital are roughly the same in performance once the accoustic management is enables. Before that, the WD is far superior, so if you are not to experienced on setting accoustic management, get the WD. But in anycase once Accoustic management is enable the western digital still has the edge in quietness, temperature and most importantly, 5 year warranty versus 1 year in the maxtor.

so, at the moment the best drive for the upgrade is the Western digital WD5000KS.

However, no drive over 300gb will work out of the box. THey all require to be put in your pc, with the original drive and have copy+ run on them. If you are not up on pc upgrading, dont even think about changing the hard drive in the HD box. Its a far more complicated process than the sky+ was. More akin to a tivo upgrade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Very useful post. Thank you!

I know that people have reported that to enable the full capacity of a 750GB drive you need to run software and I know accoustic software is a PC utility but assuming you do not wish to use the copy software and are happy with the noise levels of the native WD drive-why do you need to run it in a PC first?

ps scan have the maxtor on special for £143.34