Options

Dead pixels or am I going mad?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
Forum Member
Following the tip on here, I manually recorded the BBC HD preview a couple of days ago. Played it for the first time tonight and there is a rectangle of black a couple of millimetres wide in the middle of the screen a short way down from the top of my new Bravia 32" V2000. Started panicking that I had some dead pixels. It's there in the whole of the recording but when I watch anything live or any other recording, it's not there. I did watch a bit of the preview live when I got my box on Monday and didn't notice it then but, of course, the preview doesn't run in the evening so I can't check it live now.

I don't recall seeing any other posts about anything like this. As I don't see it on anything else - so far - I assume - hope - it can't be the TV. Does anyone else's recordings of the preview show anything like this? How could it have happened?

Am I just going mad?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,588
    Forum Member
    Norm wrote:
    Following the tip on here, I manually recorded the BBC HD preview a couple of days ago. Played it for the first time tonight and there is a rectangle of black a couple of millimetres wide in the middle of the screen a short way down from the top of my new Bravia 32" V2000. Started panicking that I had some dead pixels. It's there in the whole of the recording but when I watch anything live or any other recording, it's not there. I did watch a bit of the preview live when I got my box on Monday and didn't notice it then but, of course, the preview doesn't run in the evening so I can't check it live now.

I don't recall seeing any other posts about anything like this. As I don't see it on anything else - so far - I assume - hope - it can't be the TV. Does anyone else's recordings of the preview show anything like this? How could it have happened?

If it's recorded it can't be the screen - if it was the screen it would be on all pictures. I've not had a V2000 to bits yet, the previous 32 and 40 used Samsung LCD panels, don't know what these use without looking inside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    same thing happen to me, so no your not going mad... I almost cried cause I thought my tv had dead pixels... cant understand why it happend.... but I'm glad there not dead pixels...
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,749
    Forum Member
    I reported this to Sky as I can generate it.

It seems to occur when you do two delayed records at the same time (manual or via EPG). The later one has the black dot.

I've managered to get it on four different channel recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just tried again. I just manually recorded BBCHD Preview and also watched it live. The only other recording I have set is Planet Earth, which I set earlier this week.

Watching live was fine but watching the recording the little square/recatangle is there in exactly the same place. I haven't tried switching the sat cable inputs but it's not there on other recordings. I must assume it's not a standard problem as noone else is reporting it.

Curiouser and curiouser. Just tried a couple of recordings from SkyOneHD and also DiscoveryHD and SkyOne SD. It showed up again on the manual recordings but not the EPG recordings. So for me, it shows up on all manual recordings only.

No one have this on manual recordings apart from what ozsat had?

PS There was a great review on it of Supervolcano. Looks fantastic in HD. Just done a search on Digiguide and it's coming up next week on UKTV Documentary - Not HD - NOT FAIR! :cry:
  • Options
    coldmachinecoldmachine Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Same here, evey time. Sim2 HT300Elink. Talk about a heart attack... I was freaking out for a few minutes.

Will try out different combinations later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Also had the same sinking feeling when I first saw the black brick on screen. I had also manually recorded the BBC preview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem. I did a manual recording of a Sky box office film on channel SBO HD1 (Transporter 2). I found if I placed a "lock" (pin protection) on the film, it would create a 4 dead pixel effect. If I removed the lock, they disappeared. I repeated the test several times, and each time the dead pixels would appear, and disappear when the lock was turned on or off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The lock is the problem - well spotted.

It I put a lock on then the block is there - take it off and its gone.

The only problem is that you can not remove the daytime lock on some programmes.

But at least we can see its a software issue.

It looks as if the two recording is not the issue - it is just using 'manual records' while using a parental PIN.
  • Options
    Donald WDonald W Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I've also noticed this today after doing a manual timed recording of last night's planet earth episodes.

I also have found you can get it to go away by rewinding till it gets to the start and then restart and its gone. But its consistantly there otherwise. Seems to me like a bizarre software glitch. I also recorded Dr Who confidential at the same time and noticed it has the dot too so its not just an HD recording problem.

Donald
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've managed to get on on Channel 5 - but again it disappears when no PIN is entered.

The rewind trick does seem to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're absolutely right. Rewinding to the beginning and playing makes it disappear. So at least we know it's not on the recording. Definitely a software bug.

OK so I'm not going mad but Sky managed to generate a few mild heart attacks with this. Maybe we should sue for medical bills?
  • Options
    Donald WDonald W Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    lifeform38 wrote:
    I had the same problem. I did a manual recording of a Sky box office film on channel SBO HD1 (Transporter 2). I found if I placed a "lock" (pin protection) on the film, it would create a 4 dead pixel effect. If I removed the lock, they disappeared. I repeated the test several times, and each time the dead pixels would appear, and disappear when the lock was turned on or off.

Does it add a lock (pin) by default to recordings unless you disable it somewhere? I've only recorded a few things so far, BBC HD and BBC 3 and they both prompted me for a pin which forced me to read the manual and see what it was :o

Perhaps I should just read the manual a bit more.

Donald
  • Options
    russdprussdp Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Here's where we wish Sky set up and email address / forum for us to report problems like this and actually see what they are doing to fix it. It'd be better having people from these forums doing fault finding and replicating faults than their in-house people. I doubt they would of ever found this in a million years.
  • Options
    coldmachinecoldmachine Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Had a CS call from install company. They informed me that Sky are now fully aware of the issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I know I'm bringing up a slightly old topic here, and this may have been said somewhere else, but I've found a quicker way to get rid of the dots. When playing back the recording, pause it, press green, and then press backup. It will then continue playing and the dots will be gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I read this post! - because it nearly gave me a heart attack as well! - Hsa the problem been fixed yet?
  • Options
    HeliczerHeliczer Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I discovered this thread after hours of worrying about my TV, Googling and calls to Sky. A block of what appears to be 9 dead pixels that looks like a dead fly in the centre of the screen completely spoils the experience of watching a recorded programme in HD. This appears to happen only on recordings, when the lock is activated. After a bit of fault-finding this appears to be a software fault, hopefully to be fixed by a firmware upgrade at some point.

I was on the phone with Sky CS for half an hour and they seemed to know nothing about this problem at all, including a supervisor that I requested to speak to.

I called them up again and was on the phone for a further 30 mins after being very relieved to discover this thread on Digital Spy. They suddenly DID know something about the fault after all. Somewhere in this thread someone states that "Sky are well aware of the problem". This adds to the frustration.

They are apparently not able to refund any money while the fault exists (I was told the recording function is "free" and therefore not liable to any refunds - this was information from another supervisor!) and they are not willing to call me back. Nor are they able or willing to notify customers via the Sky website when the issue is likely to be resolved or if there is likely to be a firmware upgrade at any point in the future.

An email I sent detailing the problem has remained predictably unanswered.

It is VERY tedious that pioneering customers are treated in this way.

This fault CAN be removed by taking the lock off or rewinding the programme back to the beginning and starting again. It is annoying that we are left to discover these fault remidies ourselves via a forum such as this.

Id be very interested to know if anyone has had similar problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I spotted these dead pixels on my new Thomson box yesterday. Having experimented with various combinations of recording, I can reproduce the problem at will.

Simply, it occurs on any recording made through the manual recording option. In fact, if two such recordings are made at the same time, it appears on both of them. It appears on both regular and HD channels. It does not appear in any other recording mode.

I notice that some posters have refered to a PIN lock. Manual recording always requires a PIN code to play it (even if recorded at midnight - after any watershed). I may play further (and maybe RTFM on the PIN lock) and report back.

This seems at variance with what other posters have noticed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go into the bookmark menu and then backup it vanishes. Found this problem many months ago with manual recordings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Norm wrote: »

Am I just going mad?

I've had this too about 3 times in the last 3 weeks (only had hd for 3 weeks !) - My missus went Mad when she saw it as she thought the TV had gone.

Dont have any evidence as to what might have caused it but just saying that I have the same issue so your not mad ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heliczer wrote: »
    I discovered this thread after hours of worrying about my TV, Googling and calls to Sky. A block of what appears to be 9 dead pixels that looks like a dead fly in the centre of the screen completely spoils the experience of watching a recorded programme in HD. This appears to happen only on recordings, when the lock is activated. After a bit of fault-finding this appears to be a software fault, hopefully to be fixed by a firmware upgrade at some point.

I was on the phone with Sky CS for half an hour and they seemed to know nothing about this problem at all, including a supervisor that I requested to speak to.

I called them up again and was on the phone for a further 30 mins after being very relieved to discover this thread on Digital Spy. They suddenly DID know something about the fault after all. Somewhere in this thread someone states that "Sky are well aware of the problem". This adds to the frustration.

They are apparently not able to refund any money while the fault exists (I was told the recording function is "free" and therefore not liable to any refunds - this was information from another supervisor!) and they are not willing to call me back. Nor are they able or willing to notify customers via the Sky website when the issue is likely to be resolved or if there is likely to be a firmware upgrade at any point in the future.

An email I sent detailing the problem has remained predictably unanswered.

It is VERY tedious that pioneering customers are treated in this way.

This fault CAN be removed by taking the lock off or rewinding the programme back to the beginning and starting again. It is annoying that we are left to discover these fault remidies ourselves via a forum such as this.

Id be very interested to know if anyone has had similar problems.

Can we still be considered pioneers aftr 10 months ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ian13 wrote: »
    I spotted these dead pixels on my new Thomson box yesterday. Having experimented with various combinations of recording, I can reproduce the problem at will.

Simply, it occurs on any recording made through the manual recording option. In fact, if two such recordings are made at the same time, it appears on both of them. It appears on both regular and HD channels. It does not appear in any other recording mode.

I notice that some posters have refered to a PIN lock. Manual recording always requires a PIN code to play it (even if recorded at midnight - after any watershed). I may play further (and maybe RTFM on the PIN lock) and report back.

This seems at variance with what other posters have noticed.

I have never set a manual recording (asuming you mean a pre-define manual recording and not just pressng record whilst watching) - and had the problem on the HD Test card from Sky Anytime - so I'm not sure its only related to manual recording.

However if it allows it to be recreated with 100% success its well worth knowing !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Norm wrote: »
    Following the tip on here, I manually recorded the BBC HD preview a couple of days ago. Played it for the first time tonight and there is a rectangle of black a couple of millimetres wide in the middle of the screen ...

Its very worrying when you first see it. There is, however a workaround. If the black rectangle is visible, Press in sequence, Pause, Green, Backup. Playback will now continue minus the rectangle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    I take it no-one has bothered to search the forum as this problem has been around since day 1 and is well documented in other threads.

As it has been around so long I take it sky do not consider it to be a problem!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    srhill wrote: »
    I take it no-one has bothered to search the forum as this problem has been around since day 1 and is well documented in other threads.

Why do people take such pleasure in posting comments telling people off ? If you don't want to take part in the thread you don't have to :)

As this is the thread that comes up first on Google I will post here. How the heck is this STILL a problem more than two years after the thread started ? The recording function may be "free" but the boxes sure as heck aren't. They really might work on just trying to get the HD boxes to work as well as the old Sky+ ones rather than spending all their budget on annual relaunches of the Sky One logo.

N'est-ce pas ?