Options

Kitchen Wars: BBC vs ITV!!

ronantronant Posts: 4,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saturday Cooks, the 'new' cookery show on ITV1 starts on Saturday 10th June between 9.25 and 10.50. Holly and Stephen's Saturday Showdown moves to CITV

Anthony Worrall Thompson and the company who make Saturday Kitchen, Prospect Pictures have been stolen by ITV to make Saturday Cooks - so basically theyve taken the whole show.

So the BBC has employed Cactus TV to make the new Saturday Kitchen with James Martin, which starts on June 24th. Presumably on June 10th and 17th there will be some best of shows.

Prospect Pictures were also developing Sunday Brunch for the BBC but they will now make Sunday Feast with Anneka Rice and Andi Peters on ITV. The BBC wanted Andi for Sunday Brunch :rolleyes: The BBC are apparently very angry about all of this - hardly surprising, why cant ITV think up anything original?!

Comments

• Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boo Hoo, Poor BBC

Tough, they have some competition

Didnt realisize that if the BBC made a show nobody else could do anything similar
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    Didnt realisize that if the BBC made a show nobody else could do anything similar
    It's more of a case of ITV taking the BBC format lock stock and barrel (whilst displaying a total lack of imagination). And isn't that something that many of us have been commenting on - too many copycat programmes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:
    It's more of a case of ITV taking the BBC format lock stock and barrel (whilst displaying a total lack of imagination). And isn't that something that many of us have been commenting on - too many copycat programmes?

Not really

Its just the usual lets have a pop at ITV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    Not really

Its just the usual lets have a pop at ITV
    With some reason in this case maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:
    With some reason in this case maybe?

Nope, you have lost me

What reason

BBC & ITV are showing a cookery show, is there some law somewhere that says they cant

Can two broadcasters not show similar programmes

Please expand on why ITV shouldnt have this programme
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here we go again ITV can't think of anything new, so what do they do?
    The usual copy another stations show/format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    Nope, you have lost me

What reason

BBC & ITV are showing a cookery show, is there some law somewhere that says they cant

Can two broadcasters not show similar programmes

Please expand on why ITV shouldnt have this programme
    It's not a case of similar cookery programmes, it's more the case that they should be capable of coming up with their own original format rather than copying an existing one (or, in this case, transporting the whole format).

But, if people think that it's OK, then perhaps we will have less comments on here about copycat programmes ..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:
    It's not a case of similar programmes, maybe they should be capable of coming up with their own original format rather than copying an existing one (or, in thise, transporting the whole format).

But, if people think that it's OK, then perhaps we will have less comments on here about copycat programmes ..... :rolleyes:

So are you telling me this food show on BBC is a brand new idea, there has never been anything similar on TV before

Can you give me an idea of what is so new about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    So are you telling me this food show on BBC is a brand new idea, there has never been anything similar on TV before

Are you referring to the existing Saturday Kitchen? The same Saturday Kitchen that ITV seem to be using? Have you watched it at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:

When was the last 90 minute live cookery show on Saturday mornings with a phone-in, clips from other programmes, voting for recipes etc?? Its totally original - nothing like it had ever been done before.

The fact is anyway that ITV are going to struggle with this because Saturday Kitchen has built up a very loyal following over the last few years - and they aren't all just going to desert it. ITV would of done much much better to have something original - they're not doing themselves any favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:

Trouble is ITV, won't take a gamble on something new,
    Like the BBC or Channel 4 does.

If ITV has to pinch a idea, then make it different.

Like the BBC's Airport, ITV has 2 version (one, is in the London region 'Luton Airport'), but both ITV's focuses on passengers, who miss their flights ( :yawn: ), The BBC's format for this program is more interesting, I have found.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote:
    Saturday Cooks, the 'new' cookery show on ITV1 starts on Saturday 10th June between 9.25 and 10.50. Holly and Stephen's Saturday Showdown moves to CITV...

They also have another show according to the Radio Times after Saturday Cooks called Too Many Cooks from 10:50 until 11:35, so it'll be more than the one cooking show ITV1 will be showing.

I wonder how this leaves ITV commitment to showing childrens programming on ITV1 considering that will be 2 hours and 5 minutes lost during that timeframe, although I suspect that may be for another thread methinks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also have another show according to the Radio Times after Saturday Cooks called Too Many Cooks from 10:50 until 11:35, so it'll be more than the one cooking show ITV1 will be showing.

I wonder how this leaves ITV commitment to showing childrens programming on ITV1 considering that will be 2 hours and 5 minutes lost during that timeframe, although I suspect that may be for another thread methinks.

Probably but ITV need to show 8 hours a week - they're currently showing 7.5 hours on weekdays so as long as they have half an hour at weekends they're ok. Does anyone know if the kids programmes on GMTV are included in the 8 hours?
  • Options
    bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote:

So now cooking is being covered on a Saturdya morning by ITV. Instead of the BBC using our money to offer us something different to watch they are going to play dirty and give us something exactly the same.

Wow my licence fee is worth every penny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bob_loblaw wrote:
    So now cooking is being covered on a Saturdya morning by ITV. Instead of the BBC using our money to offer us something different to watch they are going to play dirty and give us something exactly the same.

You should be asking this question about ITV, not the BBC.
  • Options
    johnofhertfordjohnofhertford Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    This is just disgraceful. Imagine the outcry if, say, Channel 4 took an ITV show, maybe a teatime chat show, and put exactly the same show, with the same host on Channel 4. Shame on you ITV, no other broadcaster would do this. Charles Allen, you should resign over this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just disgraceful. Imagine the outcry if, say, Channel 4 took an ITV show, maybe a teatime chat show, and put exactly the same show, with the same host on Channel 4. Shame on you ITV, no other broadcaster would do this. Charles Allen, you should resign over this.

And then used the BBC facilities to broadcast it...... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob_loblaw wrote:

That's an odd comment considering that the BBC was producing something innovative, at an innovative time, which has then been pinched by ITV, and is being shown at exactly the same time. It's ITV that need to offer something different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that anyone is saying that it's right for any broadcaster other than ITV to do this
  • Options
    Pos900Pos900 Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Yet again ITV shows how much of a laughing stock it has become.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pos900 wrote:
    Yet again ITV shows how much of a laughing stock it has become.

Trouble is ITV is beyond a joke!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, if we needed to prove that this forum will always take the anti-ITV view, its this.

Channel 4 poaches The Paul O'Grady Show, everyone congratulates Channel 4 for taking a popular show and laughs at ITV for loosing their ratings winning show. Then ITV show repeats of POG opposite new POG and everyone says they've reached a new low

So now, ITV poaches Saturday Kitchen, but for some reason criticises ITV for not having new ideas? Why aren't we laughing at BBC1 for not keeping this rating winning show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote:
    Why aren't we laughing at BBC1 for not keeping this rating winning show?
    This is a bit different from PoG, in that in reality, the BBC are keeping the show, with a new presenter. ITV are cloning the existing format. Presumably the BBC could have paid AWT a considerable sum of money to keep him, but I guess that would have been wrong as well ....... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was Paul's O'Grady decision to leave ITV!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet loads of kids who dont have freeview will not be happy with AWT for taking over Holly and Stephen!

They may of well have put him on one of the sit-up channels they are constantly selling his stuff every 15 minutes! :D