Options

Pace Sky+ boxes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
Forum Member
When the "special care team" member called yesterday to install my "new" pace sky+ box ,I asked him a number of questions and got reliable informative answers ,which I wont go into ,but one of his answers was very interesting.

He said that Pace had ceased production of the sky+ boxes due to not making enough money from them and that I had one of the last 150 left in the country ,but 100 were getting shipped out to Ireland.

Can this be true ???he seemed very genuine .

I found out just before he left that the Pace box that he installed is a PVR2 ....even though its brand new .Now I thought all "new installations" were getting PVR3 models .What is the difference between PVR2 and PVR3 Pace boxes and have I got a new old stock box

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've got a PVR2 box, it will allow 20 hours of recording. PVR3s allow 40 hours. New installations should be PVR3s, unless you went for one of the deals which supplies refurbished boxes.
  • Options
    JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is a new Sky+ installation (unless as Rik says under some deal) then if they have supplied a PVR2 you can claim under the Sale of Goods act. Sky have clearly advertised for some months that the standard Sky box will record approx 40 hours and that means 80 gig avilable on the hard disc. That means a PVR3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I requested a "new" pace from them because they had installed a refurb after on a few days of my original one having problems and they sent this.

The engineer said there was only slight difference between PVR2 and PVR3 and that was in the casing only ,he didnt mention recording space .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just read the destruction book ,and on page 64 in the "specifications" it says 160 GB (80GB personal storage space )

i`m getting confused

he deffinately said it was a PVR2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does sound like you have a PVR 3. For the installer to say the difference between PVR2 and PVR3 is only the case means he talks out of his anal orifice and therefore I would not believe a word he has said.

PVR2 - Amstrad and Pace, 40 Gig HDD, 20 hours approx recording time

PVR3 - Amstrad Pace and Thomson, 160 gig, 80 gig being availble to the punter (the rest reserved by Sky for PPV or some other reason), 40 hours approx - oh, and it has USB ports. Check to see if you have these. No known use at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When he made the call to sky, he said PVR2 ,thats when I asked what the difference is.

yes ,it has a USB ,its by the card slot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whew....It is a PVR3 ....wonder why he said PVR2 then

never mind ,but still ,wonder if its true about no more Pace boxes
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Well if he said its a PVR2, I wouldnt believe him when he said theres only 150 boxes left in the UK either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lfcevans wrote:
    Whew....It is a PVR3 ....wonder why he said PVR2 then

Because he's ignorant? :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote:
    Well if he said its a PVR2, I wouldnt believe him when he said theres only 150 boxes left in the UK either.

it's true. Pace have stopped making V3s and there are almost impossible to get hold of. Had it confirmed this morning as he installed one. It's terrific. It's quick and almost silent. Beg, borrow or steal one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's true. Pace have stopped making V3s and there are almost impossible to get hold of. Had it confirmed this morning as he installed one. It's terrific. It's quick and almost silent. Beg, borrow or steal one.

Not sure I would believe the word of your installer any more than ifcevans'. However if it is true I guess it is another example of SCM (supply chain management - purchasing to you and me) squeezing the supplier until they either deliver crap or decide to exit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBlink wrote:
    Not sure I would believe the word of your installer any more than ifcevans'. However if it is true I guess it is another example of SCM (supply chain management - purchasing to you and me) squeezing the supplier until they either deliver crap or decide to exit.

He was a special care engineer. If its true the engineers aren't being given any to instal (as seems the case), then seems pretty much the same thing to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we know we have people from Livingstone on this forum? Any confirmation one way or the other on this guys?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked Simply Digital. They confirm the existing box has ceased production, but Pace are bringing out a new model in August.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik Bean wrote:
    I asked Simply Digital. They confirm the existing box has ceased production, but Pace are bringing out a new model in August.

interesting - new model? So that would mean a V4 then - from all manufacturers, not just Pace?.........
  • Options
    ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks just like my new pace box
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Just to add a little note... when I spoke to CS the other day I asked them for an upgrade price to the Thomson 160 and was told that they are no longer installing these... any ideas if there's to be a new box being launched or will Sky+ slowly be phased out with HD being released?
  • Options
    wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    just replace the hard disc in your sky + with a bigger one ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I'm not really bothered about an increase in size of HDD it was just a general enquiry. At this rate the only thing that seems to be filling my HDD up is endless hours of Big Brother, hehe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Pretty much the same thing happened on my install, I had to show the installer the difference between a PVR 2 and a PVR 3 (learned from DS), he still seemed unconvinced
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote:

149 - I'm having a Pace PVR3 insalled by an indy this Saturday! Yay! I made a point of reqeusting one and asked if he could guarantee that it would be one. He said yes.
  • Options
    digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    I really doubt that it will be a Pace PVR3 i'm afraid. It will most likely be either a Thomson PVR3 or an Amstrad PVR3.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you doubt it? You think the indy is telling porkys?