Options

House prices

CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
Forum Member
✭✭
This automatically excludes some areas like London, but there is a definite trend I've noticed recently.

How many people say they can't afford a house, or look to overstretch on their mortgage (and I mean way overstretch), then you ask them where they want to live.

In my neck of the woods for instance, this would be like a first time buyer saying they can't afford a house and they're looking to move into Notting Hill or Finchley, when they could perhaps afford something in nearby not-so-affluent Cricklewood or Neasden. Okay many people cannot afford any area of London but this is an illustration.

I've noticed so many people though saying they can't afford their first home but they are doing something typical of the generation X'ers - trying to have it all at once. It's like living back in yuppie 80's without the politics (or money for that matter). Whatever happened to buying what is within someones budget then trading up later on?

I found someone saying they cannot afford a house on here recently as they need a mortgage of over £100,000 - yet within 5 miles of their 'wishlist' area houses existed for £50-60,000.

Or will generation X'ers just never learn, strangling themselves with over the top mortgages to balance on their already maxed-out credit cards? Not so many years ago debt was a taboo subject, something to be ashamed of. So why is it now people think a debt is something to be almost proud of?

I'm not displaying money snobbery at all - when I was younger, if I wanted it I saved for it. If I couldn't afford it I did without. It's paid off now because I have more financial freedom as a result of my earlier frugality, but some people just need to wake up I think and stop crying they can't afford housing in some areas as they clearly can - they just don't want the housing on offer.

Comments

• Options
    rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true..but why spend 60k on a house in an area you don't wanna live?
    5 miles is a long way where houses are concerened. Near me, within 1/2 a mile of each other we've got million pound houses and a really rough council estate! I certainly wouldn't want to spend the 70-90k required to live on it just because it was near my ideal location. :)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've worked my way up gradually.

You can't have it all at once, and have to be patient. To get to the good, you have to work your way through the bad first. Like living in a crap chav neighbourhood, with a lot of noise.

Whoever said life was easy ?
  • Options
    rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    To get to the good, you have to work your way through the bad first. Like living in a crap chav neighbourhood, with a lot of noise.
    And boneheads with guns?? No thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just bought a flat in fairly pricey area (Brentwood, Essesx) and paid more for my flat here than I would have paid for a house in other areas but what's the point of living somewhere you don't want to live?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This automatically excludes some areas like London, but there is a definite trend I've noticed recently.

How many people say they can't afford a house, or look to overstretch on their mortgage (and I mean way overstretch), then you ask them where they want to live.

In my neck of the woods for instance, this would be like a first time buyer saying they can't afford a house and they're looking to move into Notting Hill or Finchley, when they could perhaps afford something in nearby not-so-affluent Cricklewood or Neasden. Okay many people cannot afford any area of London but this is an illustration.

I've noticed so many people though saying they can't afford their first home but they are doing something typical of the generation X'ers - trying to have it all at once. It's like living back in yuppie 80's without the politics (or money for that matter). Whatever happened to buying what is within someones budget then trading up later on?

I found someone saying they cannot afford a house on here recently as they need a mortgage of over £100,000 - yet within 5 miles of their 'wishlist' area houses existed for £50-60,000.

Or will generation X'ers just never learn, strangling themselves with over the top mortgages to balance on their already maxed-out credit cards? Not so many years ago debt was a taboo subject, something to be ashamed of. So why is it now people think a debt is something to be almost proud of?

I'm not displaying money snobbery at all - when I was younger, if I wanted it I saved for it. If I couldn't afford it I did without. It's paid off now because I have more financial freedom as a result of my earlier frugality, but some people just need to wake up I think and stop crying they can't afford housing in some areas as they clearly can - they just don't want the housing on offer.

I have no debt and on what I would class an average wage for my area. I cannot afford a house and I am not willing to be in debt for the next 25 years to own a 1 bedroom flat that costs the same as a 3 bed house did only 4 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I live in Northern Ireland, House prices are supposed to be among the lowest in the UK here and even in a council estate I have yet to see a house for £50-60,000, possibly a burnt out boarded up house yes.

Simple fact of the matter is here in Northern Ireland if you are a first time buyer you are really going to have a struggle getting a mortgage as pay here is on average £100 less per week than the mainland, with a large majority of people being on or slightly above the min wage. Add to that the governments stupid ruling they brought out recently which states house can no longer be built in the country side chances of owning a house here are slim to nil.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I live there's not much choice in the matter.

I would not live in a flat because when I rented one I almost had a nervous breakdown due to the neighbours making a racket.

So, Mr JS and I are currently buying our first house which is going to cost over £100k. Yes we're going to overstretch ourselves a little bit BUT I think the benefits far outweigh the cons. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely sympathise with some of the reasons given here, but what about someone not wanting to live in a particular area just for the snob factor? These people really don't deserve to be allowed to overstretch their mortgages on a simple basis that they don't like an area for no good reason.

There is an estate I used to live nearby and a lot of people didn't want to be on the estate because it had a bad name. Yet I had a friend on the estate, I felt safe walking around it, my friend had a nice house and as far as I last heard he is still happily living there with no incidents at all.

That to me is snobbery - I live where I do simply because I can afford to, I have worked for it, I have not set out to live in an area just because more affluent people may be able to and I want to be seen as 'one of the Jones'. But there was a FM who I mentioned earlier who only wanted to live in one of three areas of a large city, and also dismissed the cheaper areas I found for them. To me that is the problem - wanting it all now, not working and getting it gradually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's better to live in the worst house in the best street, rather than the best house in the worst street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a stupid comment if ever I saw one. Surely the adage should be it is better to live in a suitable home no? And this is going back to another part of a problem, what is a 'worst street'? With too many people it is a perception and nothing more that perpetuates snobbery.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Where the heck do you live? I haven't seen a house under 80k in a year or so
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a stupid comment if ever I saw one. Surely the adage should be it is better to live in a suitable home no? And this is going back to another part of a problem, what is a 'worst street'? With too many people it is a perception and nothing more that perpetuates snobbery.

No snobbery at all. You pick the area first, then the house second.

I'd much rather have a bad house in a good area as a good house in a bad area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solaidback wrote:
    No snobbery at all. You pick the area first, then the house second.

I'd much rather have a bad house in a good area as a good house in a bad area.

I don't think alot of people can be afford to be that picky at the min.
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Property at the moment is at the peak of an epic global bubble but, as some of you may not be aware, global interest rates are on the rise. We are about to depart from low rates to the historic norms of around 7%. If you are thinking of buying anytime soon, it would be wise to wait and see what happens over the next 6 months regarding Japan and the carry trade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimmyboy32 wrote:
    I don't think alot of people can be afford to be that picky at the min.

Exactly, and it's this group of people who are being picky that are at the highest risk of falling into negative equity. All back to my point about this being the live for today crowd, yet Black Wednesday was only 15 years ago as I'm sure anyone who was a homeoner here will remember.
  • Options
    prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never was able to do the round the world gap year experience but moved away from where I was brought up (Epsom) to a cheaper area, Bedfordshire. I had to change jobs but at least I was able to start buying rather than renting any more.
    I never received any help for the rent I payed before I went further north, yet if I was in a council house I would then have been allowed to buy it at a reduced price that bloody annoys me no end......

This is an interesting site if you want to find the price of a house sold in your street since 2000 .-

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices&first_search=yes&search_type=EW

PC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly, and it's this group of people who are being picky that are at the highest risk of falling into negative equity. All back to my point about this being the live for today crowd, yet Black Wednesday was only 15 years ago as I'm sure anyone who was a homeoner here will remember.

Indeed, and it's a proven fact that houses in bad areas stand to lose the most in housing market downturns whereas houses in good areas tend to hold their values much better. This happens as you get towards the end of a bubble the bad areas are the only ones that people can afford thus raising the prices up at the last stage. However, in a market downturn as house prices fall these areas are shunned as the more desirable ones become more reasonably priced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't bear out what you've said - it was housing aimed at the upper end of the market who lost out and fell the most into negative equity last time everything fell to pieces. Admittedly the lower end of the market took longer to recover, but on a pound-for-pound scale the last time round it was those in the upper part of the market that really fell heavily into negative equity and lost out far more than the lower end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, what happened is the lower end of the market got repossed because there was no demand for their houses so they could not bail out. What happens in a housing crash is everyone tends to jump the first rung so the lower end houses become almost worthless.

In the last crash the ones that lost the most were flats and the shittiest low end £60k type houses in bad areas you linked to in your last thread as houses in better areas became more affordable. there will always be demand for good houses in decent areas, although, I do admit most people who have bought in the last two years will take a good beating if the market crashes like it did before.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swipe wrote:

In the last crash the ones that lost the most were flats and the shittiest low end £60k type houses in bad areas you linked to in your last thread as houses in better areas became more affordable. there will always be demand for good houses in decent areas, although, I do admit most people will take a good beating if the market crashes like it did before.

That's how I got on the housing ladder as I bought a very cheap flat in 1994 whcih was at the lowest point of the crash as it was all I could afford. I now own a nice 4 bed semi 12 years later. If there is a crash it's the 1st time buyers who will benefit and they deserve a break. Anyway haven't we been told there's a crash coming for years now and the opposite just keeps happening??? Interest rates might rise a bit but it's those on 100% mortgages who lied about their incomes to get them who will be affected most.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I've noticed the same thing in the U.S. You get a lot of 25-30 year olds, working at their first or second serious jobs, who want everything their parents in their 50's have - a big 3000sf house, cabin on the lake for weekends, two brand new cars, expensive luxury vacations, etc. And they aren't willing to wait to have these things, so they buy it on credit and rack up huge debts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes putting aside the economics for a moment, what is it with people who have no shame getting up to their necks in debt to pay for all these things? This is a big bug bearer of mine, people who say they have no money yet they're driving around in expensive cars, the holidays and (okay this is an American thing really) the log cabin by the lake.

It wouldn't be a bad thing, in my opinion, for a bit more shame to come into debt as it used to be years ago. And remember - the log cabin, the expensive cars et al - it isn't theirs for many, many years.
  • Options
    Joe'sgirlJoe'sgirl Posts: 10,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    I've worked my way up gradually.

You can't have it all at once, and have to be patient. To get to the good, you have to work your way through the bad first. Like living in a crap chav neighbourhood, with a lot of noise.

Whoever said life was easy ?

Yes, but I have known folk who could not get insured for possessions like TVs and video recorders - one bod had his stolen FIVE times! It isn't just a snobbery about a slightly less glam. area, sometimes it is about safety for self and home. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe'sgirl wrote:
    Yes, but I have known folk who could not get insured for possessions like TVs and video recorders - one bod had his stolen FIVE times! It isn't just a snobbery about a slightly less glam. area, sometimes it is about safety for self and home. :(

I totally agree. Even though houses do exist for £60 or £70 thousand, I wouldnt dream of buying one because I have a wife and soon to have a baby to think of. Theres no way I would dream of movin to a crime ridden area - I would be too scared for their saftey. Earlier in this thread, someone said they'd rather have the worst house in the best street, than have the best house in the worst. I totally agree with this, I wouldnt buy a house in the worst street anywhere, regardless of its condition, because I dont want my family having to liv in an area like that. You may consider this snobbishness, but I consider it looking out for my family, wanting the best for them, and to me that means not exposing them to unnecessary danger. I dont care if someone offered to give me the nicest house with golden furniture, but in a totally crime ridden area - because it wouldnt be nice and full of golden furniture in the morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,890
    Forum Member
    To me that is the problem - wanting it all now, not working and getting it gradually.

The problem is that inflation is now low (whilst house prices keep escalating out of control) that it is fairly difficult, if not impossible for many to move up the housing ladder especially easily or quickly; the next 'step' up keeps getting more and more expensive since your wage over time isn't increasing by an equivalent amount.