Options

London terrestrial HD trial

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
Forum Member
I've just picked up my box so I think it's time for an official trial thread :)

The box is branded as "i-CAN 3800T" and has HDMI, SCART, ethernet, USB, SPDIF and phono L/R outputs. No component! I'm watching the BBC HD preview now and it looks great, better than the Humax HDCI-2000 I'd say.

I didn't pick up one of the booklets which was meant to tell us where to look up the HD schedules online, as I assumed it was already in the box... Can someone who got one tell me what the URL is?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Its www.bbc.co.uk/hd then just click on "what's on". By the way anyone know what the ethernet connection (there's a rj45 cable in the box) will do for the box, as I thought all updates would be done over the air.

Thankx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to the instructions, the ethernet port isn't supported:
    http://www.i-can.tv/library/downloads/3800T/user.manual.english-ican3800t.pdf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    thanx for the pdf file, heres looking forward to friday (well Saturday at 2) when the world cup kicks off in HD
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neilka wrote:
    better than the Humax HDCI-2000 I'd say.

I didn't pick up one of the booklets which was meant to tell us where to look up the HD schedules online, as I assumed it was already in the box... Can someone who got one tell me what the URL is?

Hmm. I picked up my box today and when I asked the guy about the sound over HDMI or SPDIF he gave me one of the other model of box they have a few of...a Humax HDCI-2000T. He thought it would sound better than the i-CAN.

Connections identical to the HDCI 2000 retail satellite box except the aerial input/output are std coax and the RS-232 and SPDIF are reversed.

No inbuilt modulator, so no tuning the TV into it. I can't find an HDCI 2000 user manual to compare mine against.

Seden/Swedish appears to be the other territory supported by the box.

I think the i-CAN has an optical SPDIF cable with it, the Humax doesn't appear to.
  • Options
    tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andykn wrote:
    Hmm. I picked up my box today and when I asked the guy about the sound over HDMI or SPDIF he gave me one of the other model of box they have a few of...a Humax HDCI-2000T. He thought it would sound better than the i-CAN.

Does the Humax have component out ?

I found the I-Can very nice and user friendly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Picked up my i-CAN this afternoon and just managed to get it tuned into the HD multiplex. The first time it didn't pick up any HD channels so I moved it to another arial socket and re-scanned for channels and this time it did detect the 554 MHz multiplex and all is well.

The BBC HD preview channel looks promising so far, ITV, Five and Channel 4 haven't started showing any real programming yet.

Next I will test the digital audio SP/DIF connection to my surround amp.

Looking forward to some HD programmes now!

Matt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it does have component out.

User friendlieness is fine.

I haven't found if you can see the tech details of channels like I could with my Hauppauge DEC 2000T (PID, strength etc).

As I have a Denon AVR 4306 receiver I can get the audio through the HDMI cable or optical S/PDIF cable. Which is technically the best?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get tech details of a channel on the Humax HDCI 2000T press list then i.

Now I need to work out how I can get information about a programme. The EPG gives one line but I'm msure my DEC 2000 gave more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I´m picking my box up Sunday Pm (tomorrow).
    I thought that there would only be one box not a choice.
    Which is better? Humax is a brand I know.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote:

No inbuilt modulator, so no tuning the TV into it. I can't find an HDCI 2000 user manual to compare mine against.

Link to the pdf for the Sat version, hope it helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't get given a choice as such. The guy I spoke to offered me one when I asked about connecting through an A/V system - he seemed to think the Humax were better, maybe just for sound. They don't have enough to give to everyone so are keeping them sort of 'in reserve'

The Original poster at the top of this thread seems to be happier with the i-can.

Thanks for the manual. it does contain some relevant sections noy in the manual supplied with the HDCI 2000T.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I have the i-Can also and DELIGHTED with it.

I think also that the Humax doesn't have HDMI, but the i-Can does .. is that correct?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I'd been given the choice I would have gone for the i-CAN anyway - I've got the satellite HDCI-2000 and I have a problem with intermittent sound over HDMI, which is apparently a known bug when the box is used with some TVs. I'd imagine the terrestrial version would have the same problem with my TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    andykn.

I thought that you got the humax coz the sound was better. Yet someone posted about sound problems with the humax - I´m confusted.

Also does the humax have a bar chart style EPG? - My wife only likes EPG with that style;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote:
    No inbuilt modulator, so no tuning the TV into it.

Interesting point this! Is there a specification for HD signals on analogue RF? I would have thought it would take up at least two conventional RF channels. I'd be surprised if any HD set top boxes will offer an RF output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got given the Humax - they said they had run out of the i-Can. It does have HDMI and they also gave me an extra optical cable when I mentioned home cinema. The other good point is that the information bar tells you the definition coming from the transmitter so that I know that no HD is being transmitted yet. They said they were still working on the transmitter. I am slightly concerned because normal BBC1 does not look as good from the Humax box as it does from Sky or from the DVB built into the TV. Anyway time will tell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    GRUM123 wrote:
    ..............no HD is being transmitted yet.

I'm getting 1080i HD from the BBC and the ITV channels. C4 & C5 HD are not sending anything hi-def just yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a very good judge of quality so I couldn't tell you if the sound from the Humax is any good or not. I haven't noticed any drop in PQ of SD material compared with my old Hauppauge DEC 2000T. I've currently got it fed via Optical S/PDIF to my Denon 4306, so I don't know if there would be problems with sound over HDMI.

It does have HDMI and is almost identical to the Humax satellite HDCI 2000 box, to the extent that there seems to be some bits missing from the paper manual we get with the 2000T that are in the 2000 satellite manual. if you want to see what the EPG looks like, download the PDF of the satellite box from the link in Barrys helpful post above.

Any opinions of Optical vs HDMI sound?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hey,

Got the i-Can but can't see any of the HD channels? Running via scart at the moment until my hdmi->dvi cable arrives, maybe that's why??

Also, anyone got topup tv working? I was told to just put my card in the slot and it would work but notthing. TUTV haven't even heard of the box so can't help... Oh well looks like a long phone call on monday morning!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Got my Humax HDCI 2000T today, they have now run out of the i-Can boxes, but the guy seemed to think the Humax is a better unit.

BBC HD1 preview looks awesome, seems to be a problem with the transmitter though as my Humax cannot find ITV/C4/C5 HD channels on Channel 27.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I picked mine up today as well, the guy handling the boxes mentioned that the transmissions might be up and down until it officially starts.

Cheers

Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're off at the mo.

On the Humax, if you press 'Menu', scroll down to 'Installation', left cursor and down to 'Manual Search', select Channel 27. At the moment mine shows a Strength of 28% and a Quality of 0%. These figures should be over 60% and nearly 100% (I think) respectively when it is on. Once it is on you can select 'Search' and it will find the three channels.

I suggect you disable 'Network Search', it seems to search all channels when you have it enabled, not just the channel you select.

And download the satellite HDCI 2000 manual from Barry's link above - it has some stuff in it that's not in the manual we got.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I read that they only have enough bandwidth for one HD channel so even though they have four epg entries only one will be "live" at any time. They plan to share it out between BBC ITV Ch4 and Ch5 with each getting about 2 hrs per day (except when sport overrules everything).

Grum
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    GRUM123 wrote:
    I read that they only have enough bandwidth for one HD channel so even though they have four epg entries only one will be "live" at any time. They plan to share it out between BBC ITV Ch4 and Ch5 with each getting about 2 hrs per day (except when sport overrules everything).

Grum

Yep - it is slightly similar to BBC Three and CBBC - there are two EPG entries, but only one video and audio stream shared between them. To the viewer they appear as two different "channels" - but in broadcast terms they only occupy the bandwith of one channel. (It is surprising how many people haven't noticed that CBBC and BBC Three, and BBC Four and CBeebies are never on air at the same time as each other!)
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GRUM123 wrote:

Grum
    Not strictly true. The BBC have a multiplex all to themselves, so will be broadcasting something 24 hours a day.

ITV/C4/five are sharing a second multiplex between them, so these channels may well timeshift amongst themselves, with ITV always showing the world cup for the matches they're screening.

Once the world cup is out of the way, I hope they'll start showing CSI on five in Hi Def, as well as some films in HD!