Options

Data Extraction for Fusion 90 / 95, FPVRT1

I have made a utility to extract files from Fusion 95 PVR.
Please can people test it. I recommend manually demuxing testing files in ProjectX to start with.

I have just added option to use ProjectX / bbMPEG to convert TS files to MPG after extraction.

Current version is v1.102, Here is the link:-
http://www.freewebs.com/jafusion/

Thanks to Brunnen-G and pepperm for testing.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Nice work - did you decode the file allocation from scratch or is it based on some existing well known AV filesystem?

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that the utility is excellent. I am now looking to get a 160G HD and see if it works with that too.

Has anyone got any experience with a 160G drive in a fvrt90?

pepperm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I'd like to try this, can anyone point to a thread showing the process? I'm a hardware guy more than software, so the simpler the better! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's easy. Buy a 160G IDE HD, I got a Western Digital one. Set its jumpers to Master and replace the 80G HD in the pvr with the new one.

Then go to the recorded program listings page and type 4565. At the format HD dialogue click OK and wait for the format to complete. If the format takes no time at all the jumpers on the HD are probably set incorrectly.

During this process you may be requested to reset the software on the pvr or re-scan for channels. Just do as it asks and everything will be OK.

When you first fit the HD you may get an error on the screen and the LED display on the box suggesting that the HD is faulty or corrupt. Don't worry because the format will sort this out.

If all else fails, just replace the old HD and start again.

Have fun.

Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    dose this mean we can finally get the saved video from the hdd in an FVRT90????

Please let it be :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I have uploaded some pictures of mod to the site.
    I decided to run the hdd power externally, thats all the switch on the back does.
    App should work on FVRT90 but I would like somebody with FPVRT1 to test.
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took the HD out of my PVR 90 (don't tell!) and connected it to my pc through usb enclosure. Extracted all of the files no problem (40 Gig of Sherlock holmes). Each file is a TS file (Transport stream). I downloaded the excellent DVR-Studio pro and it made perfect DVD's each with over 3 hours of good quality video. DVR-Studio is a free trial for 30 days. It processes 4 Gig in a matter of minutes not hours.

Thanks for the excellent input jaak
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good work jaak
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Just extracted a ts file from my FPVR-1 with the disk in a USB caddy.

Next, I ran it through projectx to demux using Musukebba's .ini file here:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=6016457&postcount=542

Finally, made the required DVD files with ifoedit and burned using nero

This is excellent, the software that I have been waiting for. Well done jaak.

One thing I noticed, there are a number of '_bad_file' on my disk. I wonder if it would be alright to delete these, and if so, I wonder how I can delete them?

See screenshot here. The bad files seem to take up a lot of space:

http://www.sonoko.co.uk/images/fpvr.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have got a load of .ts files (see above) and I can play the files in power dvd or media player. If I change the .ts to .mpg they play as mpg (mpg4?) files so why do I need to demux them? If I want to make dvd's Nero does it but it takes hours. DVR-studio pro does it in minutes. Trouble is my trial has expired.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    www.projectw.org any software in the world get it on there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to Jaak from me too. I eventually found time to try his software. It extracted the transport streams from the disc without any problems at all.

BTW, Jaak are you happy to let us know what disc format the Access Devices PVRs are using? I would certainly be interested.

Peter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pmdebenham wrote:
    BTW, Jaak are you happy to let us know what disc format the Access Devices PVRs are using? I would certainly be interested.
    Surely the answer to that is "Access Devices" format isn't it? All the PVRs have to do something that no "well known" file allocation system (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3) has ever had to do and that is have a small cluster area for "DOS like" system files and a large cluster area for stream files. Each PVR operating system developer seems to have come up with their own solution for this design requirement.

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I`v tried the program on my "general use" pc
    running 98SE, it found the drive in the bios, and displays 2 extra drive (says they are unformatted , format ?)

obviously i say no to this......

the problem is that
    the program reports no drives found

must i run it on XP ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What size drive? If it's an old PC (the W98SE suggests it is) then it may be the BIOS, not the Windows that has LBA addressing limits. If you Google "Winhex" and download that and run it with the drive attached go to the tools/open drive menu and look at the list of physical drives (not logical) and see what size the drive appears to be. If it's smaller than expected it's because your BIOS is not up to it.

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    must i run it on XP ?

I am guessing that the answer is "yes" (although I didn't write the software, so you may want to confirm this with the author). If you are interested in the technical details, read on...

Raw access to physical volumes is very different under Windows2k/XP/2k3 that it is under Windows 9x/ME

The code in JAFusion seems to use (indirectly) CreateFile to open handles to \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEx (as you can see described in the MS documentation here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/createfile.asp - the line under the first paragraph on that page gives you more detail)

Opening/access raw drives using Windows 9x/ME requires calling down into the 16-bit subsystem to simulate realmode interrupts, this requires 16-bit "thunk" code - using win2k and above these complexities are completely hidden by the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). I am guessing that JAFusion does not have this thunking code built in.

Probably more detail than you wanted... :o

Dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks, ripped out the drive aand stuck it in my dell (running xp home), it found the drive in the bios (again)

loaded windows, found new hardware....
    (would you like to format drive)? NO WAY... :eek:

ran program and success, clicked on refresh, files appeared

but saw loads of error files (0 bytes)
    what are these ??? :mad:

anyway extracted the file to my pc (TS files), am i meant to use project x or something to confert them to a readable fromat

ps is there anyway to put the file back on the fusion HD after say backing up and formatting to remove "errors"

thanks for the info anyway :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Download DVR Studio pro from
    http://www.haenlein-software.com
    You get 1 month trial.
    It turns .ts files (transport streams) to DVD or mpg.
    Its really quick and easy, great sw.

I would not try to delete or write files from pc to PVR hard drive (voice of experience:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    will try that

when i tried to play the .ts file in power dvd/win dvd
    i got a picture but with lots of green blocks all over the screen.

i can only asume that this is "extra data" not meant to be played... subtitles etc :confused:

so a quick convertion will suit me down to the ground... :p

i can only hope it is quick as i dumped 7 films off my box
    (didn`t use "quick mode") in JAfusion

dont know what it was so left it running a few hours while dumping....

thanks again

will let you know how i get on :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Only Windows NT or above is supported. If it only takes a few hours to add Win9x support then I would consider it.
    I recommend using ProjectX to check TS continutiy.
    If it says bad file just ignore it, not an error as such. I only ever saw 1 or 2 on first FVRT95 firmware.
    I am working on writing to drive but it doesn't seem to be a priority feature because nobody has requested this feature directly.
    Green blocks, test the file in VideoLAN & PX. I think something changed with last software if file has subtitles recorded.
    If you have an error report send a PM.

To MrAD:- Would be nice if Channel list was saved as backup file on disk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I converted the films no problems....even used the conversion program "DVR Studio pro" to edit out the adverts....

on the empty "error files"....
    I can only guess that if the hard disk contains any errors
    the box would attatch them to the "error" files so they wouldn`t be used for recording (as noted in the software upgrade)

98 support would be nice..... :D and the vob files never exceed 1 gig so the FAT32 isn`t a problem

would it be possible to edit out the adverts from the .ts files
    and then transfer them back to the box`s hard drive ?

ps thanks A LOT for a great utility
    i can finally clear the space without having to play the programs through a scart cable in to a recorder..... :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to Jaak for such a useful program.

I've been using Videoredo to edit .ts files and save them as .mpg files, it's fast and does frame accurate edits. Unfortunately not free but 30 days free trial.

http://www.videoredo.com/
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tested this on a disk from an FPVR1T and it worked fine. One suggestion would be to add an 'abort transfer' button to the program, as the transfers do take a long time and the only way I found to stop one was to kill the program with the task manager.

I'd be interested in details of the USB port mod as, other than for an experiment, I can't see myself bothering to remove the harddrive from the machine on a regular basis!
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bring up such an old thread but anyone any info where I may get jaak's tool from now? DS seems to sensor the URL and I note Jaak seems to be inactive. I have searched without joy and am therefore very sad :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    tin wrote: »
    anyone any info where I may get jaak's tool from now?

Don't know where you can get it, but if you PM me with your email address I can email you a copy.