Options

Disney Channel timeshift to return

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
Forum Member
Disney Channel's one hour timeshift channel is to return to the Sky Digital channel line-up later this month.

Officials at the Disney Channel have confirmed to Sky Digi Online that Disney Channel +1 will appear on EPG 614 with Playhouse Disney moving to EPG 625.

Disney Channel +1 was temporarily removed from the Sky line-up when Disney's movie channel Disney Cinemagic launched in March.

Disney's new channel line-up from 26th June 2006 will be as follows:

Disney Cinemagic (611)
Disney Cinemagic +1 (612)
Disney Channel (613)
Disney Channel +1 (614)
Playhouse Disney (625)

Comments

• Options
    EssentialParadoEssentialParado Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Awesome!

So I heard that the Disney Channel is free now. I have always had it with the Movies subscription, but I watched some of the Disney Channel today and expected advertising now, but there wasn't any. How are they getting money from making it free? Any idea?

I think it could be some kind of subsidizing somewhere. Either from Sky, or trying to persuade people to get Disney Cinemagic, or maybe just showing trailers for the Disney movies at the theater (currently Cars.) But it really seems strange to me. Am quite interested in how it works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reported about 3 weeks ago :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome!

So I heard that the Disney Channel is free now. I have always had it with the Movies subscription, but I watched some of the Disney Channel today and expected advertising now, but there wasn't any. How are they getting money from making it free? Any idea?

I think it could be some kind of subsidizing somewhere. Either from Sky, or trying to persuade people to get Disney Cinemagic, or maybe just showing trailers for the Disney movies at the theater (currently Cars.) But it really seems strange to me. Am quite interested in how it works.
    They get some money from Sky as Disney, Disney +1, and Playhouse Disney are part of the Kids Mix.

Cinemagic is free with Sky Movies as they all were before.

Also, they have very low programming costs as much of their content is from Disney in America.
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that the Disney Channel is free now.

Free ?? :confused:
    It is still a subscription channel. It appears in the Kids mix and each mix has to be paid for. (if you want access to it, of course :) )
  • Options
    EssentialParadoEssentialParado Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    logjam wrote:
    Free ?? :confused:
    It is still a subscription channel. It appears in the Kids mix and each mix has to be paid for.
    Yeah, that's what I mean :D

Thanks underworldjam. I actually did a search this morning. It took an hour to find some info, but you cleared it up for me. I guess if Disney don't plan to make money from worldwide syndication, then I guess there is nothing to lose by showing the US programming.
    Still quite a strange business plan, though.
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's what I mean :D

Sorry for being so pedantic, :) but calling it 'Free' was causing the puzzlement over how it was going to pay for itself.
    It isnt becoming Free to air - (which would be a puzzle if they were not carrying any advertising!). :)

I assume the greater number of viewers will increase the share of the subscription fee they receive. I suppose a name like 'Disney' should attract interest on the EPG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know what time this switch around might be happening today?
    Will Playhouse Disney be switching to its new EPG before Disney Channel +1 takes over its old one?

Any help appreciated
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonysilva wrote:
    Does anybody know what time this switch around might be happening today?
    Will Playhouse Disney be switching to its new EPG before Disney Channel +1 takes over its old one?

Any help appreciated
    The changes should take place anytime between now and 11am, well thats usually when Sky add channels, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK thanks.

I'll keep and eye on it then. :)
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonysilva wrote:
    OK thanks.

I'll keep and eye on it then. :)
    They have now actually been added to the EPG, they were added about 5-10 minutes ago. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:
    They have now actually been added to the EPG, they were added about 5-10 minutes ago. :)

Yep, just noticed myself! Thanks :)