Options

The Adidas 'Teamgeist' Football

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
Forum Member
Does anyone else think that having watched the first couple of games last night, this ball seems to bounce strangely? I noticed a couple of times that the ball seemed to move to the left or the right after it hit the ground - and whenever someone plays a long ball that bounces once before reaching the target, instead of skidding on so the player can control it on their chest, it seems to get stuck in the grass and bounces up in the air.

It also seems to swerve a lot, even by modern day standards. I'm all for seeing high scoring games but if it's because the ball is a bit dodgy, that's not really fair on the keepers.

I do like the idea of using a golden football just for the final though :D

Comments

• Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching World Cups since Argentina 78.

Every tournament has had a new ball for the occasion, and every tournament has had complaints from players about how light the ball is, how high it bounces, and how it's like playing with a balloon.

Maybe adidas WILL introduce a balloon for the next tournament, who knows ? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    draig goch wrote:
    I've been watching World Cups since Argentina 78.

Every tournament has had a new ball for the occasion, and every tournament has had complaints from players about how light the ball is, how high it bounces, and how it's like playing with a balloon.

Maybe adidas WILL introduce a balloon for the next tournament, who knows ? :D

They should use a plastic kiddies football, that really catches the wind and spins in the air :D:D
  • Options
    AstraZenAstraZen Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the explanation to the balls movement;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5048238.stm
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way it moves in the air resembles those penny floaters that you can buy in paper shops that kids use in school playgrounds.

If they were using a heavier ball, I'm not so sure either Philip Lahm or Thorsten Frings would have been able to score those goals. With Frings shot especially the ball started out in the centre of the goal and then all of a sudden visciously swerved in to the corner.

Paul Robinson is right, they are very goalkeeper unfriendly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should use a plastic kiddies football, that really catches the wind and spins in the air :D:D

Should have seen the free kicks i took as a kid with them, there i was on the fringe of their area.. WHAP!!! it flies forward, the wind grabs it and it goes back 40 yards to an opposing player who slams it between the jumpers.. Oh i miss those days
  • Options
    gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big gut wrote:
    Should have seen the free kicks I took as a kid with them, there I was on the fringe of their area.. WHAP!!! it flies forward, the wind grabs it and it goes back 40 yards to an opposing player who slams it between the jumpers.. Oh I miss those days
    Does anyone remeber the Kevin Keegan Striker Ball? (we're talking about the '70s here so I don't suppose most people here will? :confused: )

Anyway, it was a bright orange ball that really used to fly, especially when the wind got hold of it!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Links to info about the Teamgeist footall:

http://www.soccerballworld.com/Teamgeist.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teamgeist

This is an image of the robot kicking leg Adidas use to test their footballs when they are designing them. The rest of the article is here.
  • Options
    micramicra Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want a multi coloured beech ball for 2010. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micra wrote:
    I want a multi coloured beach ball for 2010. :D
    It would probably bounce as high as this 'Teamgeist' one too! ;) It would look nice on telly too. The ball for the 1970 World Cup was called Telstar (Star of Television). It was made up of black and white panels so it was more visible on black and white televisions.

http://www.soccerballworld.com/Telstar.htm

Knowing the names of the World Cup balls is a bit geeky but I'm sure it's something that might come up on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' sometime or might be useful in a pub quiz.
  • Options
    micramicra Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But didn't we get long lange goals with the older balls anyway
    Charlton, Rats, Josimar, Haan to name a few and all with heavier balls, I really can't see the point of making the balls lighter.
  • Options
    occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,439
    Forum Member
    The old "Wembley" footballs were the best - especiallythe posh white "Wembley International" :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    To follow up on the original points in my OP, after watching more games over the past week it seems that the ball seems to travel further once it's in the air. I've never seen so many overhit corners and free kicks and I've also noticed the goalkeepers being able to throw it seemingly miles.

I don't think it's any coincidence that players the quality of Ronaldinho, Beckham, etc. have all been overhitting free kicks and crosses - not just the odd one either. Takes a bit of shine away from the tournament really.