Options

HD Box Optical Out - Whistling

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
Forum Member
Just connectede my HD box to new AV sound system(ARGOS Accoustic Sounds £89.99) and using optical cable (ARGOS £12.99) i am getting a whistling from all speakers when the optical ouput is selected on the sound system, this is happening on all TV channels not sust HD and it goes off if i select the input from the coax option (I have tried disconnecting the coax but no difference). Other than this i am pleased with the system and the sound on high volume is really good despite the low cost.

The whistling does not get louder as the volume is increased, indeed it cannot be heard with the volume relatively high. However once the sound is turned down, eg late night, the whistling makes the system unbearable.

The sky box is sitting on top of a DVD player could this be the problem?

Could the problem be the low cost optical lead? or with the sky HD box itself. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you use the amp and optical cable with your DVD player do you get the whistle?

If yes I would suspect the amp.

Automan.
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    I have the same acoustic solutions set, and I'm sorry to report that it's a design flaw of the amp, and not a problem caused elsewhere. I get the same noise using any source.

Personally, it doesn't bother me a massive amount, so I just live with it. If it does affect you, then the only way to solve it would be to take it back and opt for a different model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Automan, My DVD don't have optical, thats a problem for another day. (I'm watching DVD using Aux input, red and white)

Alex, thanks for your comment. I have looked at other models at Argos but none of reasonable price appear to have optical input.

The whining is driving me mad!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    ebay is your friend....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I took my AS speakers back today so now I've got a gift card to spent...

I quite fancy these but they're rather expensive:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5131390/Trail/C%24cip%3D36693.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D36766.Home%2Baudio%3EC%24cip%3D36772.Home%2Bcinema%2Bspeaker%2Bsystems.htm

Only other speakers I can find a decent amount of information on.
  • Options
    neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    I have the same acoustic solutions set, and I'm sorry to report that it's a design flaw of the amp

Very odd as i have the same set and also have the Tvdrive and i use the optical and its perfect, never had any whistling or anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I have the same acoustic solutions set, and I'm sorry to report that it's a design flaw of the amp, and not a problem caused elsewhere. I get the same noise using any source.

Ditto from me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    prb wrote:
    i am getting a whistling from all speakers when the optical ouput is selected on the sound system,

Is it a whistle or a Hum ??? and does it come from the sub as well ?? :)
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member

really? I only get a whistling type noise when I view ITV all other channels are fine, so I cant see it being a design flaw if I have had them for a couple yrs now and not had a single problem with them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    prb wrote:
    Automan, My DVD don't have optical, thats a problem for another day. (I'm watching DVD using Aux input, red and white)

Alex, thanks for your comment. I have looked at other models at Argos but none of reasonable price appear to have optical input.

The whining is driving me mad!!!!!

Can I recommend you save up about £250, then take them back to Argos, and stroll to Richer Sounds. Get the Tannoy FX 5.1 package and any cheap receiver that they have at the time from Pioneer, Samsung etc. It'll be just over £300 for the lot and you won't believe how much better it all sounds. Honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An update from the originator of this thread.

I took the amp/sub back to Argos and they would only exchange it. took an exchange unit and it was just as bad. Returned the whole lot last night to Argos with the idea of changing it for a more expensive/better model.

They advised that they had had a rush on sales and didn't have any !! alternative models in stock. Took a full refund.

Searched the Dixons/Curry web site and ended up at Curry supastore in Gateshead where i bought a Yamaha TSS15W for £129

got home, installed it and it's just what i want, better physical size than the AS one, the amp actually fits into the TV cabinet and the sub has been hidden from sight.

Ok it's not the most powerfull in the world ,and i'm sure the technological minded would tell me i could do better, but it suits me and my needs so i'm happy. Just wish the BBC world cup was broadcast in 5:1

Thanks to all respondants - Sorted.
  • Options
    neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    Ok heres a strange one.

I have the same AS sysyem and as i reported in my last post i have the TvDrive from telewest and get no problems using optical. Lovely sound from it.

Now my friend brought up his SkyHD box today as i wanted to test this and guess what....it started whistling :confused:

Explain please lol coz im stumped :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    must be something to do with the toslink interface and the different components used between the tvdrive and sky HD. Tolerances or something. Weird though.