Options

Where has CITV on ITV1 gone?

Comments

• Options
    kingoftvkingoftv Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think cbbc will stay for a long time coz the bbc have a lot of it and is well veiwed
    citv is deteriating from itv and wuickly as itv are doing anything they can at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingoftv wrote:
    I think cbbc will stay for a long time coz the bbc have a lot of it and is well veiwed
    citv is deteriating from itv and wuickly as itv are doing anything they can at the moment.

I think Cbbc will stay put for an while, because unlike ITV, the BBC as to justify it catering to all audiences such as Children. Even if it is unprofitable (which the BBC is isn't). I also think the BBC with BBC1 will try and keep out of the battle for adult between 4pm and 6pm, partly because if does, it would suggest the BBC go after rating
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MH1 wrote:
    I think Cbbc will stay put for an while, because unlike ITV, the BBC as to justify it catering to all audiences such as Children. Even if it is unprofitable (which the BBC is isn't). I also think the BBC with BBC1 will try and keep out of the battle for adult between 4pm and 6pm, partly because if does, it would suggest the BBC go after rating
    CBBC will stay on BBC 1 until the whole country is digital, then it will go as everybody will have access to the free to air CBBC and Cebebies channels, even BBC 1 wont see they point in broadcasting childrens programmes on 2 different channels once everyone can get them. I think some people are confused, once the whole country has been switched to digital everybody will have access to the FTA channels, hence no reason at all for BBC 1 to show any childrens tv, so by 2012 CBBC on BBC 1 will be a thing of the past. CITV will probably be gone long before that though.

It wont be about BBC 1 chasing the adult audience, it will be about BBC 1 not needing its children's programmes as they will be available to everybody elsewhere, I can also see news programmes leaving the main 2 channels eventually too.
  • Options
    satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have no fear, it will soon be a quality quiz show!
  • Options
    speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In today's MediaGuardian
    ITV is today expected to tell staff it is closing its inhouse children's production units with the loss of around 30 jobs. One senior source said the move by ITV to end its inhouse children's production was the beginning of an eventual withdrawal from children's programming altogether, despite only launching its own standalone kids' channel two months ago.

The source said the broadcaster would look to use the ban on junk food advertising and its own plunging advertising revenues as the reason to leave public service children's broadcasting to the BBC.

Media regulator Ofcom would have to give the move the green light, although it has previously proved sympathetic to ITV's attempt to cut back on children's programming, recently allowing a reduction of two hours to just eight hours a week.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member
    Article seems slighlty confused? Perhaps a bit of speculation? In one part it seems to suggest ITV intends to stand by CITV channel in another it says they want out.

AFAICT the junk food ban is not firm yet so this is just conjecture.

However, it looks like OFCOM is willing to bend (yet again) :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanDF wrote:
    Article seems slighlty confused? Perhaps a bit of speculation? In one part it seems to suggest ITV intends to stand by CITV channel in another it says they want out.

AFAICT the junk food ban is not firm yet so this is just conjecture.

However, it looks like OFCOM is willing to bend (yet again) :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would imagine that the junk food ban will go ahead , I mean if the government are going as far now as to ammend their smoking ban and make it illegal to smoke in an outside bus shelter and outside the entrances to buildings then I would assume junk food must be up for being banned from advertising very soon.

As for ITV and kids programming , yes it is confusing , do they just want to get out of making the programmes or out of kids programnming all together ? I would think having launched a kids channel that it would just be out of making the programmes, After all they have to keep the kids schedule on ITV1 until 2010 anyway as they are a PSB channel.

Mind you what with the uncertainty of kids , the closure of the Factual Dept in Bristol and the possible closure of the Quay Street studios in Manchester , it makes you wonder if ITV will flog off everything and just keep the channels and buy it all in. After all it is not long ago that its major shareholders were saying that they could sell stuff off to get a return for investors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The supposed junk food ad ban is an excuse really. The ban hasnt come in yet and probably wont for a while. ITV just want out of kids TV altogether, and im sure ofcom will bend so they can axe all kids programmes on ITV before 2010
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    the CITV Channel does okay in the ratings so i can't see them scrapping that any time soon
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoxyAppo wrote:
    the CITV Channel does okay in the ratings so i can't see them scrapping that any time soon
    I dunno...
    March %		April %		May %

[highlight]CITV Channel	0.1		0.2		0.2[/highlight]	
    -----------------------------------------------------
    CBBC		0.6		0.6		0.5
    Cartoon Network	0.4		0.4		0.3
    Nickelodeon	0.3		0.4		0.3

Source: http://www.barb.co.uk/viewingsummary/monthreports.cfm?report=monthgmulti
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno...
    March %		April %		May %

[highlight]CITV Channel	0.1		0.2		0.2[/highlight]	
    -----------------------------------------------------
    CBBC		0.6		0.6		0.5
    Cartoon Network	0.4		0.4		0.3
    Nickelodeon	0.3		0.4		0.3

Source: http://www.barb.co.uk/viewingsummary/monthreports.cfm?report=monthgmulti

Compare the BARB numbers with a quote from the mediaGuardian article...

"CiTV will remain as the home of high-quality kids' programming. Launched in March this year, the CiTV channel is proving hugely popular with kids and has, in three months, already overtaken established channels like Nickelodeon."

hmmmmm....

K
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,686
    Forum Member
    Considering Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon are not even available on Freeview, those figures seem particularly poor for CITV.

That said, am I right in thinking it's not available on Satellite/Cable yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose if they manage to get rid of CITV on ITV1 completely and the standalone channel continues to perform poorly, they will consider closing it completely and ITV4 going 24 hours.

I'm sure they would be able to put together a pretty decent channel if they nabbed some of M&M's content as well.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually watch CITV (but never the other kids channels) the new Captain Scarlet, problay the best thing on the ITV network
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote:
    Considering Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon are not even available on Freeview, those figures seem particularly poor for CITV.

That said, am I right in thinking it's not available on Satellite/Cable yet?

It's available on all platforms now, but we really need to see the figures for June/July in a few months time before we can start to say whether CITV is doing well/poor.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if citv goes then hopefully ITV4 will be better (maybe the end of men and motors)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    good old ITV going from strength to strength!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if citv goes then hopefully ITV4 will be better (maybe the end of men and motors)

Obviously that was just pure speculation on my part. It's probably pretty unlikely seeing as it only launched a few months ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    MIB1973 wrote:
    good old ITV going from strength to strength!

yes i agree good old itv is really giving the viewers what they want, the end of factual, childrens and most likely the end of actual programme making too, Two questions though what the hell does ITV think its doing and will the possible closure of the Quay Street Studios in Manchester mean for the production of Corrie?,will it be moved to London like everything else seems to have
  • Options
    Carl StockCarl Stock Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    GMTV is still classed as being seperate from ITV even though it is now owned by them, so no att he moment their childrens output does not count.

GMTV is indeed still separate from the rest of Channel 3 (the legal name for ITV).

However, GMTV is not 100% owned by ITV plc because Disney own 25%, with ITV plc having the rest:

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=546

Look under “Brief History”.

There is more ‘collaboration’ these days, as it were, with some of GMTV’s children’s output being branded as “CITV”.

I wonder how long it will be before GMTV becomes 100% owned by ITV plc. Disney refused to sell up some time ago when ITV plc approached them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl Stock wrote:
    GMTV is indeed still separate from the rest of Channel 3 (the legal name for ITV).

However, GMTV is not 100% owned by ITV plc because Disney own 25%, with ITV plc having the rest:

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=546

Look under “Brief History”.

There is more ‘collaboration’ these days, as it were, with some of GMTV’s children’s output being branded as “CITV”.

I wonder how long it will be before GMTV becomes 100% owned by ITV plc. Disney refused to sell up some time ago when ITV plc approached them.
    Yes of course your right, I forgot Disney didnt sell out to them like SMG did. Im pretty sure it wont be long though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like yet another example of ITV cutting costs at the expense of quality.

Still, kids aren't allowed to play premium rate quizzes, so why would ITV want to cater for them? :(
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i guess that when CiTV goes onto sky and cable its ratings will go up...maybe to that all magical 0.5%???
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speculator wrote:
    In today's MediaGuardian

As most of the ITV ouput is 'kids tv' anyway, well that's what it seems like to me these days! then if they withdraw from all Childrens TV then ITV will close down :D:D .........
    know it's been said before, but bring back ATV/THAMES/SOUTHERN but WITH the same quality is the 70's & 80's not 2006 pap!