Options

Automatic record/Season pass type facility - how would that work - how do-able?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On the lighter side of things, I notice that season pass/link/automatic record is within the top 10 wishlist, but how would that work? I have one suggestion for how it might look on the Humax by using the timer entry/edit screen.

The drop down box for repeat timers (once, daily, weekly) will need to include an extra one called 'all' or 'any'. That way, if in the name field you put in Coronation Street or a keyword like 'Earl' (for My Name Is Earl) the machine will automatically record all or any programmes of the same name that show up in its EPG.

What about repeats? I was thinking that with something like for example Coronation Street you get the repeats on ITV2, so you may end up with Coronation Streets in your playlist that you want to delete because its already been recorded/watched. To get around this better I thought that in the timer screen again, the channel drop down list it should include an 'any' entry. That way, when setting up an automatic record of Corronation Street you can specify from the channel drop down list ITV1 to ovoid the repeats on ITV2 or select 'any' from the channel drop down list to record all instances of Coronation Street that may come up on any channel in the EPG.

So in summary slightly change the timer entry/edit screen to add 'all' to the list of repeat timers in the drop down list/ Then whatever is in the name field and which comes up in the EPG will be recorded. Adding an 'any' entry to the drop down list of channels will add facility to specify whether to record any chosen programme name or keyword only on a specific channel or from any channel.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Marc, your suggestion is almost identical to my suggestion 12 of 5 :)
    My 5

1) The ability to Sort by name / time / channel in the Genre search
    2) More rows in the EPG (but not at the expense of the thumb view) Single line rows would almost double the number of rows
    3) Store the EPG
    4) Show what day you are looking at in the EPG ("Mon 14th" for example)
    5) More shortcuts (make more use of colour buttons)

Can I have a 2nd 5 wishes...
    6) Chase Play
    7) Keep buffer when changing channels (on my old unit, this was a option if you pressed pause before changing channels - a good compromise)
    8) Whats on + Info to display when you press an arrow. Right+Left shows next / prev, up+down shows CH+ / Ch-
    9) Show program info (truncated if necessary) in EPG (top left) when moving through items (is a pain in the ass pressing info)
    10) Store top 5 searches (Every week I have to type in the same god damn thing)

Ok, more...
    11) Folders, I'd like the ability to move recorded items into folders. There are some recording I'll leave on the box but I know it will become very annoying once I have to scroll down to the bottom every time. Even if it were as simple as 2 'automatic folders' like "Watched Items" and "New Recordings"
    12) The ability to record every program that matches what I want to record on a specific channel. E.g. Suppose I always wanna record "LOST". I set the unit to record all instances of this program on "Channel 4" This way, I don't get the E4 / E4+1 repeats.

These changes could turn a good box into a great box.

Additional to what I suggested, you could also have the following options...

For controlling when to end the repeat timer
    "repeat '_' times"

"between hours '__:__' and '__:__'"
    (as the repeats are often on at 00:00 or later).

"exact match" / "partial match"
    (LOST is always called LOST but COLUMBO is often appended with some text).

Don't want to over complicate this, but we need flexibility to fine tune this option. I think some mock screen shots showing how this might work would be useful.

I hope we get this!

And my other 11!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I think the reason this hasnt been added, or will not be added for some time is that Sky+ have the patent for Series Link. I may be wrong (I hope I am!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    russd1978 wrote:
    I think the reason this hasnt been added, or will not be added for some time is that Sky+ have the patent for Series Link. I may be wrong (I hope I am!)

You may be right but there have been posts in the recent past around DS to suggest that freeview are pushing a framework out to industry for this sort of thing at the moment. If it doesnt happen say because TIVO will stick their nose in, I dont see how Humax doing their own thing will be a problem. I.e. all the machine is doing is recording based on a search of programmes listed on its internal EPG. He says... :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sd00 wrote:
    Marc, your suggestion is almost identical to my suggestion 12 of 5 :)

cool. I would like to suggest this as something that might be doable one day (as its in the peoples top 10 wishlist) but it would be easier if it could be presented in as basic and easy way as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember reading in a sky mag that sky+ only works on channels that broadcast series link information ( very few do ). So it's nothing to do with Sky. This of course means that there should be no reason why this link information could not be used by any PVR.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    jtk174 wrote:
    I seem to remember reading in a sky mag that sky+ only works on channels that broadcast series link information ( very few do ). So it's nothing to do with Sky. This of course means that there should be no reason why this link information could not be used by any PVR.

The series link info is broadcast via the Sky EPG, i'm not sure whether broadcasters do this or Sky themselves but either way it is not in the specification for the freeview EPG. What you suggest would require a satellite dish and tuner plugging into the PVR!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    We had Sky + until we moved. To be honest, apart from the lack of space (ours was 40Gb) functionally it was excellent. Series link worked superbly, even adjusting for schedule time changes.

Something like that on the Hummy would be very nice indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Season Pass with TiVo and Series Link with Sky+ facilities are well thought out and work perfectly because they use proper info/services to keep track of the programmes in the 'series'. These facilites cost and TiVo and Sky+ users pay the premium that goes with them.

With Freeview the only 'info' service is the Freeview EPG which is free and hence less maintained and has less useful info. If Humax was to implement the Season Pass/Series Link facility on the Hummy then it would be less than ideal and might not work as well as TiVo's and Sky+'s - so people will be disappointed...

I feel that this might be a lost cause... but... something about being a rebel...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Added to which is the fact that the TiVo patents are primarily concerned with the 'concept' of season passes and series links rather than the detailed methodology and processes behind them. It is for this additional reason that many other manufacturers seem reluctant to get involved in what is a potential litigation nightmare.

Snail
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snail wrote:
    Added to which is the fact that the TiVo patents are primarily concerned with the 'concept' of season passes and series links rather than the detailed methodology and processes behind them. It is for this additional reason that many other manufacturers seem reluctant to get involved in what is a potential litigation nightmare.

Snail

There are two possibilities I see for the hummy.

a) Freeview agree a way of doing this/implementing this without infringing TIVO patents or settling on agreement with TIVO somehow.

b) Humax do their own thing, which is very much a posibility, where they just implement a repeat timer function that basically records anything that matches a keyword or programme name that comes up in the EPG stored on the machine. Its not series link or season pass because it will not record 'only' a specific and correct season - just anything that matches the criteria - and also it has no way of tracking whether programmes have started earlier or later than scheduled; just whatever the official start and end times in the EPG table.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    a) that's supposedly coming in a few years. BBC are working on a spec. for it

b) some of the Toppy TAPS already do this so it's quite feasible. In fact when we first started to read about and discuss the 9200 and found that it had "keyword searches" in the EPG I remember hoping that this would do the same as those Toppy taps but was then was mildly disappointed to find that it was just a static rather than a dynamic search

Cliff
  • Options
    Scotty_BScotty_B Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it not work based on the Synopsis information, if the programme summary is different to one thats already been recorded, record it, if not, ignore it. Obviously that wouldn't work for lazy broadcasters who use a general summary for the programme but for the majority, it would work.

If it had something like that, my Fusion would be going back...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    a) that's supposedly coming in a few years. BBC are working on a spec. for it

b) some of the Toppy TAPS already do this so it's quite feasible. In fact when we first started to read about and discuss the 9200 and found that it had "keyword searches" in the EPG I remember hoping that this would do the same as those Toppy taps but was then was mildly disappointed to find that it was just a static rather than a dynamic search

Cliff

A) thats a shame - I thought it would be something that would be adopted earlier by the way I was reading things. Ho hum. But good news never the less for the whole freeview PVR thing; a nice little addition to capability. How it will work, the cost of it, and commitment from broadcasters will be the tough parts. At least TIVO have regular subscriptions coming in (continual streamof money) to fund theirs on an ongoing basis and SKY have the that too with additional clout no doubt to get broadcasters on its system to adopt/commit to it.

b) This was in the top 10 wishlist from people and is still coming up now so I am hopeful that Humax can be persuaded that on the wishlist side of things its something they can look at. For whats already there in the machine its still usable from the point of view you key in a programme name of keyword and it gives you results by searching the EPG stored on it. But you then have to press OK on any of the results you want it to automatically record. With this sort of search functionality built in and the user interface method I described in the first post I am hoping this sort of timer can be implemented. Humax initially didnt think its a real problem for them but warned me it will not be able to react to last minute schedule changes and so dont know if its stil worth it. I think it is.
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty_B wrote:
    Could it not work based on the Synopsis information, if the programme summary is different to one thats already been recorded, record it, if not, ignore it. Obviously that wouldn't work for lazy broadcasters who use a general summary for the programme but for the majority, it would work.

Unfortunately, it won't be very reliable; take a look, for example, at some of the shows on channels like More 4, or E4, where there are repeats of the same episode during the week, or one night on one channel and another night on a different one.

Very often, the repeat showings have a different synopsis.

You really do need some unique tag to do this sort of thing reliably.

Nigel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:

b) This was in the top 10 wishlist from people and is still coming up now so I am hopeful that Humax can be persuaded that on the wishlist side of things its something they can look at. For whats already there in the machine its still usable from the point of view you key in a programme name of keyword and it gives you results by searching the EPG stored on it. But you then have to press OK on any of the results you want it to automatically record. With this sort of search functionality built in and the user interface method I described in the first post I am hoping this sort of timer can be implemented. Humax initially didnt think its a real problem for them but warned me it will not be able to react to last minute schedule changes and so dont know if its stil worth it. I think it is.

I too think it is worth making an effort. However two factors need to be resolved before attempting it or releasing it.

1. We/users/Humax must disassociate this feature/facility with the Season Pass/Series Link concepts and function. Just term it Keyword Recordings or something. Doing this will make users be less disappointed (as it won't be quite as comparable as TiVo and Sky+) when released and also avoid patent issues with TiVo/Sky (in the future).

2. Humax to build into the 9200T housekeeping routines/options for recorded programmes (like some suggestions in the wish list/software issues stickies). I can foresee that Keyword Recordings will consume space like no other monster, and that not to annoy users housekeeping routines to delete old recordings (based on some rules/markers), etc must be included in or before this feature release...

Marc, if you started a thread with "Keyword Recordings...", then your ideas in this thread will work and you will get other ideas and comments from users and avoid the TiVo/Sky debate diverting your cause ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcdavis, for as long as I have used computers and databases, (quite a long time) you have been able to search a database using flags or words, etc, and to a certain extent, if we think about the epg, it is a database, and although at the present time, the Freeview epg does not contain metadata, it does usually (if the broadcasters are sending down to it as they should do) a synopsis of each program. Now if a PVR manufacturer concentrated on setting recordings by the title or word/words in the titlerather than the times of programs, we would avoid the problem in one fell swoop of programs starting early/late etc, and in addition if Humax extended their search feature that is onboard at the mo, to search by genre (one word) you could extend this to almost be a favourite search. To take myself as an example, I like programs like 'Poirot' Whycliffe' Midsommer Murders' etc,and the Hummy could let me search the next seven days for 'detective' or 'murder',and as long as the synopsis of all the programs was included in the search, then all programs containing the search word should then be displayed in the window. I could then choose which ones I wanted to record from that list. So all that Humax have to do to their present search is just extend it to include synopsis of programs, and the Hummy would (in a simple way) be actually suggesting programs to your personal criteria. This would have to do for now until Freeview gets a better metadata electronic program guide, and by the way, it is usually these metadata epg's that have series link built in.

GG:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    son_t wrote:
    I too think it is worth making an effort. However two factors need to be resolved before attempting it or releasing it.

1. We/users/Humax must disassociate this feature/facility with the Season Pass/Series Link concepts and function. Just term it Keyword Recordings or something. Doing this will make users be less disappointed (as it won't be quite as comparable as TiVo and Sky+) when released and also avoid patent issues with TiVo/Sky (in the future).

2. Humax to build into the 9200T housekeeping routines/options for recorded programmes (like some suggestions in the wish list/software issues stickies). I can foresee that Keyword Recordings will consume space like no other monster, and that not to annoy users housekeeping routines to delete old recordings (based on some rules/markers), etc must be included in or before this feature release...

Marc, if you started a thread with "Keyword Recordings...", then your ideas in this thread will work and you will get other ideas and comments from users and avoid the TiVo/Sky debate diverting your cause ;)

1) I agree with this. It isnt a season pass or season link and no provision is there for taking into acount slight last minute scheduling deviations. This is really another timer option for keywork auto-record.

2) If the automatic house keeping suggestion you made to be built into this whole thing is a bridge too far, I would make things just a tad easier to manage quickly recordings you dont want by introducing multiple select for one touch delete and the same thing from the playlist.

Hopefully I will be receiving different softare to evaluate within a month or two that will include things such as check boxes next to item numbers on playlist and the recordings menu. With this one button delete for checked listings it would save time for long playlists, and to deal with cluttered playlists there is also an option to move selected items into a new playlist (like a folder) which I think is orderable by date, name or manually as you like, and can be played out one after the other in one go for VCR scart archiving. I have some screen shots to give you an idea. All good fun but I start to digress. Anything to manage recordings easier or an auto-housekeeping capability would acompany well a keywork autorecord timer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an addition to my post, I have wondered since PVR's came on the scene, why they don't move to recording from the program title rather than program times,and if any of you can remember when we first got our Hummy's, one or two of us were fooled for a while, thinking this was exactly what the 9200 did!!! Think about it, if all your recordings were set by name of program rather than the time, then if the said program was running late/early, it wouldn't matter, because the PVR would not start/end until the name matched the set to record name, so you wouldn't need padding!!! I am sure that this would be easy to implement, because the criteria would be
    1. Full name of program
    2. Channel
    3. Day
    If there happened to be a program by any chance being shown on the same channel that day, with the same name, (highly unlikely but still) then the PVR could just ask the user 'all instances' or something equivalent, and the user would choose which one.
    Why do they continue to use the times of programs for setting recordings is beyond me, when this is so unreliable.

GG:confused: p.s Marc as an addition to this, you might be interested to see this epg, which is available now in some DVD/HD recorders
    http://www.europe.guideplus.com/ you will see a demonstration, and note that this epg now includes a feature called 'my choice' where you input your choice of progs and the epg finds all instances. then after the demo, go to
    http:// www.europe.guideplus.com/En/news.html to see Gemstars plans regarding Freeview (terrestrial digital)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi GG. Long time no see.

I was wondering, how would the humax know when a programme name was starting or finishing?

Interesting links for alernative EPGs. The only alternative that PVRs have gone for so far are for the 4TV based ones. I wonder if there have been any PVR or STB manufacturers signed up to GUIDE+ for Freeview EPG based systems. The press release as dated last year so I guess its too early to see them. But it certainly seems like an improvement. Often third part stuff is better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Hi GG. Long time no see.

I was wondering, how would the humax know when a programme name was starting or finishing?

Interesting links for alernative EPGs. The only alternative that PVRs have gone for so far are for the 4TV based ones. I wonder if there have been any PVR or STB manufacturers signed up to GUIDE+ for Freeview EPG based systems. The press release as dated last year so I guess its too early to see them. But it certainly seems like an improvement. Often third part stuff is better.
    If you flagged up the full name of a program, then the Humax would not start until it came upon this name and then would be programmed to stop when that name was no longer there??? Honestly Marc, I don't know how it would work as I am not into programming, perhaps Cliff could enlighten us about if this could be possible. Glad you liked the link, and yes the Gemstar guide is available now on some Freeview based DVD/HD recorders, I think that the Sony one uses it, the Philips do,and Pioneer and Samsung. Have a peep at their threads, but as far as I can see, the Gemstar epg could be used now by PVR manufacturers, and I know that the BBC have been working with an EPG provider (think that it is TVAnytime, but don't quote me) Yes Marc, you are observant, was unable to post in forums, as I had downloaded the beta of IE 7 and it wouldn't let me post on Digital Spy for some reason!!! I think that I thought that I would join you lot in doing some beta testing + feedback of my own!!!:) Have now uninstalled it and got FF up instead!!

GG:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just time for a quick comment at the moment but say you wanted to record the film "Big" (the film with Tom Hanks - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/ ) and your PVR also ended up recording every episode of "Big Brother" for you as well - exactly how happy would you be?

I know this is a bit of a fatuous example but I hope you get the point that string pattern matching is not always as easy as it may first appear.

If however the PVR new that the film Big had ID number #23678433 while all the episodes of Big Brother had the ID #87634246 and these numbers were "hidden" in the program stream along with data such as "#23678433 starts in 2 minutes", "#23678433 starting now", "#23678433 just ended", "#23678433 ended two minutes ago" - THAT would make the PVR software writers job a LOT easier. It might even have (though there'd be advertiser outrage!) "#23678433 starting advert break", "#23678433 ending advert break"

That kind of "hidden" data, (often called "metadata"), that is more machine readable than human readable is what would make for a foolproof system

This is the reason that Sky boxes don't rely on plain DVB-SI for this kind of stuff but have an extended format of programme information data.

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cliff for that explanation, I now see what is meant by metadata! So it is possible for any recording device to set its recordings not by times but by some other criteria!! Yes!!! So all we want now then on Freeview is a decent metadata based EPG!! Wonder what has happened about the work that the BBC was conducting with TV Anytime about this?? We haven't heard anything and they really ought to get a move on now that Freeview is to become the largest platform! Anyway, getting back on subject Mark, I did suggest to Humax way back when I had their 8000T single tuner which also used the search (by word) facility, to expand on this feature if possible to include the synopsis as well, but they haven't. I think that I am right in saying that their PVR's are the only ones with this feature. ( Apart from the Topfield and its Taps of course!) I am sure that it could be made to do more extensive searches, but we then come back to the thorny issue of the unreliable Freeview EPG!!!

GG:(
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    The GB-PVR software that I use to control the Hauppauge Nova-T USB2 Freeview tuner on the PC gives you the options of recording;-

Once, Record Season (all episodes on this channel), Record Season (all in this weekly timeslot, same channel), Record Season (all in this daily timeslot, this channel)

It then has another option which allows you to;

keep all recordings, Keep 1 recording, 2 recordings, 3 recordings, etc.

It also allows you to override the default time padding settings in the same dialog box.

It seems to work pretty well and is probably the feature I miss most on the Humax.
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are actually event ids as part of the SI information, as far as I know. And there's the 'running status' which indicates when a programme has started. All this could be used to help make a system work - though of course you still lack the metadata to link individual events into collections; that's something that the TV Anytime schema attempts to address, and there are other ways of doing it too.

The big problem right now, of course, is that some of the broadcasters simply don't give a toss about the quality of their EPG information; they're only obliged to provide now and next, and for some it seems that even updating that in a timely manner to indicate that a programme is running just doesn't have enough shareholder value to be worth doing right.

Nigel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nwhitfield wrote:
    The big problem right now, of course, is that some of the broadcasters simply don't give a toss about the quality of their EPG information; they're only obliged to provide now and next, and for some it seems that even updating that in a timely manner to indicate that a programme is running just doesn't have enough shareholder value to be worth doing right.
    Worse than that (puts on conspiracy theorist hat) I wonder if the commercial channels deliberately disrupt EPG data to give the user the perception that it's not reliable so they can't trust their PVRs to record stuff. That way you are forced to watch live rather than timeslipped and thereby (hopefully) see their adverts. 'course this falls down when you actually start by pausing for 10 minutes at the start of a "live" program and then hop the ad breaks when you get to them. The BBC seldom seems to have problem preparing timely and accurate Now/Next/EPG data!

Cliff