Options

WARNING: SCAM P2P websites – DO NOT pay for Limewire, Morpheus, Kaaza, etc.

gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a warning for all newbie internet users looking for free MP3 and movie downloads on the internet. Do not pay for any P2P file sharing software, in particular Limewire, Kazaa, Morpheus or anything similar. They are ALL a CON! :mad:

MPAA Launches Legal Action against P2P Scam Sites

An awful lot of naive internet newbies keep falling for these sites. They are attracted by the promise of free, unlimited MP3 and movie downloads (yeah, right! :rolleyes: ). Their greed, ignorance and keenness to get their credit cards out means they are taken for ride. :D The scammers aren't bothered because there're plenty more suckers willing to sign up for all these so called 'unlimited downloads'. Serves them right I say.

So what do these site look like? Well they all promise FREE 100% unlimited downloads of MP3s, movies, games and software. They claim for a one off fee you can download too.

What they don't say is that these very same download tools are usually available for free (yes FREE) elsewhere on the internet (if you really wanted them). The newbies are usually blissfully unaware of this (idiots :mad: ).

Watch these tutorial videos. While watching remember to repeat either "Wow!", "Cool!" or "Amazing!" every few seconds. :D

The first one is a women explaining just how easy it is to download. She says downloads can take just 'seconds'... :rolleyes:

The second one has a man (Charlie) explaining how he signed to a site and was able to search and download loads of cool movies and TV shows. :rolleyes:

When they end, please for the love of God, DON'T CLICK and SIGN UP! :eek: (watch out, the second one automatically jumps to the con website at the end). They are both a CON. :mad:

Here's another one, a Sony PSP download site called PSP Blender. They promise unlimited game downloads for $37 (about £20). Here are two warnings about it:

http://nleblanc.newsvine.com/_news/2006/03/06/122301-pspblendercom-and-other-scams
http://www.gamejabber.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8415&sid=65e75a0f5a2b0765242576f948456619

If you don't know what RAR, PAR, ISO, SFV, NFO files are and are downloading using P2P applications (Limewire, etc) in my opinion, you shouldn't be downloading at all. If you haven't got some good virus protection (not Norton! :D ) and are downloading using P2P applications you shouldn't even be using a computer.

Some very long lists of scam P2P websites:
http://forums.gnutelliums.com/showthread.php?t=28751
http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4407&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.p2pscams.info

If you are in any doubt as to whether a site is scam or not, firstly put your credit card away, then ask here. The forum members here will give you an honest, informative answer.

Comments

• Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure who you're trying to protect as I think most users on these boards are savvy to such things.

Personally I think that anyone stupid enough to believe that you can get unlimited downloads for a one-off fee deserves to have their PC riddled with viruses, spyware and keyloggers. "If it sounds too good to be true..."

That said, I think it should be made clear that you are not referring to 'paying for Limewire' as in buying the PRO version, which - while I can't see the benefits myself - does not make any rash promises about unlimited downloads and such like. (Actuallty Limewire comes with a quite detailed 'safety' guide: http://www.limewire.com/english/content/ftc.shtml)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im ashamed to admit but my dad and brother thought ok this looks good and he paid for etomi and you can just search for it in google and the first link takes you to a download. I told them but they wudnt listen and thought it meant that all they downloaded was legal. Because of the 100% legal stickers allover the website, however all that says is the software is legal but using it is not.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's plenty that's free .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure who you're trying to protect as I think most users on these boards are savvy to such things.
    It's debatable whether users are savvy about such things here. There's been this thread and numerous 'I've got a virus' type threads. It's very easy to stumble across these scam websites as there're so many. They even appear at the top of Google searches as paid for sponsered links. Newbies doing a general search are unable to tell real from fake as they all look the same.

Try this scam Limewire site. It says it has been approved (by who?) for United Kingdom and Europe.

Here's a scam Kazaa Lite Gold site. Do check their refund policy! :eek:
  • Options
    njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    Here's a scam Kazaa Lite Gold site. Do check their refund policy! :eek:

Sorry, I don't have time to refund your purchase!

I can't believe this site is still about either > http://www.suprnova.net/.
  • Options
    James ClaytonJames Clayton Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same with the TV on your PC packages, they often give you an ebook with links, or something that's free anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one is a women explaining just how easy it is to download. She says downloads can take just 'seconds'... :rolleyes:
    I've found another one, here. She is also searching for 'Beethoven' tracks. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically you're advising people how to illegally download files. Goood job :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shepps wrote:
    So basically you're advising people how to illegally download files. Goood job :rolleyes:
    Er, no! You have read this thread haven't you?

When are you going to sign up then?! :D:D;) Don't you believe what she says? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, just I tend to buy my music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick bump for this this thread because someone nearly got taken in by these sites when looking for Bearshare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    lol that "Charlie" video said that the service offers 5 download sites. Yeah - i spotted Torrentspy in there - what a rip off!

Why the hell do people pay money to go to a website!??! - Mental!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to be pretty stupid to pay for software like this.
  • Options
    duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think they are stupid just naive and not reading about this kinda stuff, everyone has to learn.
    Some the hard way unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    itsme25 wrote:
    I dont think they are stupid just naive and not reading about this kinda stuff, everyone has to learn.
    Some the hard way unfortunately.

Thats not true, as soon as i first had the internet about 8 years ago i realised pretty quickly that i could download any bit of software i wanted if i took the time to look for it.

These people are stupid.