Options

Sky Price Increase

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
me wrote:
Breaking News
Well sort of.

I received the July Sky Magazine today. It says the price will increase to £43.50 from September 1st.

This is an increase of £1, less than the £1.50 of last year.

For reference I have 6 mixes, Sky Sports 1 & 2, and Sky Movies 1 & 2.

Comments

• Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly what a lot of us, expected then, at least theres Sky Sports 4 to look forward to. :)
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on the price of cheaper packs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a letter yesterday saying of the price increase from September for the package im on. £38something for the 1st month (September) then £43.50 thereafter.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:
    Exactly what a lot of us, expected then, at least theres Sky Sports 4 to look forward to. :)
    Which will have repeats of the same old stuff you see on SS1, 2 3

£43 just to watch TV full of repeats. Think I'll leave that one thx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote:
    Any news on the price of cheaper packs?
    I would imagine it would be a £1 increase for each different pack. Possibly only 50p towards the lower end. Just guessing though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axious wrote:

As discussed on the Sky Sports 4 thread, it is because they have too much live content and not enough channels to show it all on. They had to use Sky Sports News for live greyhounds and darts.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axious wrote:
    Are you suggesting then that the live content Sky have been showing via the red button, will remain via the red button, instead of being put on Sky sports 4?
    axious wrote:
    Thats your choice, personally I consider Sky value for money, I also don't find all the channels full of repeats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where can we go to watch thses channels, i guess i have to pay it???? :mad:
  • Options
    uncletupelouncletupelo Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I currently pay £35 for my Sky World package. This is because they ran a promo back in 2003...maybe 2004...where they gave the even number movie channels to those with Sky Sports package. A further amendment to that eventually gave all the movie channels for the same £35.

My letter this morning said my sub was going to rise to £52+.

Gave them a call and they said those of us who had that promo were now getting taken off and the promo was ending. She said a different letter is on its way which gives me the choice to go back to my Sports for £45 or keep the movies at £52.

Just to make it clear I have Sky HD which is why its £52 rather than £42 for World and £45 rather than £35 for Sports

Is there anyone else in the same boat with this old promo?

If I don't take the new increase I lose 2 of the HD channels...and lets face it...there's not that many to lose just now!

So is the extra £7 worth it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a good promo, but hey nothing lasts forever, surprised it lasted so long. Got a leaflet today, Sky World 10£ for first 3 months not bad at all (New Subscribers off course)
  • Options
    mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    I have 4 mix with Sports. What would be the new price increase for me? I currently pay £35 a month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mw1 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I have 4 mix with Sports. What would be the new price increase for me? I currently pay £35 a month.
    Do you get the Sky magazine? If so it will tell you in the letter that comes with it when it arrives.

I would guess at £36.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least I'll have no new price rise to look forward to - cancelled my Sky Sub yesterday, so from July 22nd I'll be Skyless;)

Was paying £45pm for 4 mixes + both movies + 2nd box, but having looked through my Sky+ planner and noticing that 80% of what I have set to record is on FTA/FTV channels anyway and most of what I watch on Sky channels I watch just for the sake of it, even though I've seen it many many times before - there's only so many times I can watch the same eps of of OFAH, Drop the Dead Donkey, Star Ttek, Buffy, They Think Its All Over etc.

Shame really as I've been with Sky since 1990, but in that time prioces have raised sharply and quality has gone down with the stuff I used to like not being shown anymore (UKGold & Bravo were brilliant pre-Sky digital when they showed old TV series, but now UKGold is basically BBC+1year and Bravo mainly reality stuff I never watch them) plus the far too numerous ad breaks really get me down - especially where they're put in the wrong places to squeeze extra ones in (UKGold, Sci-Fi and Paramount are really bad for this) - will miss Hallmark, FXUK, Discovery Civilization, History Channel and Sky Sports News and the Sky+ features though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Some packages are increasing, some are not, if in doubt, either call customer services or wait for your sky guide to arrive.
  • Options
    digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    Well, £43.50 for me then :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Well, £43.50 for me then :cry:
    Still pretty reasonable value though. We switched to cable and their prices are also on the up.....
    The options are not pay for it and get freeview, reduce your 'pack'. Rent DVD's!!
  • Options
    cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is ok to have at £43.50 "if" you are watching it on a regular basis.
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they win when they put up prices? Last time we went from the whole lot to just a 4 mix (no music or kids). 2 other people I know dropped the movies, and these people are not the normal "us DS people being bolshy" people. With family outgoings it just became too much.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Another rise? it's the last straw for me i'm afraid. I've not had a pay rise at work in 4 years!
    TIme to check out freeview me thinks....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote:
    At least I'll have no new price rise to look forward to - cancelled my Sky Sub yesterday, so from July 22nd I'll be Skyless;)

Will miss Hallmark, FXUK, Discovery Civilization, History Channel and Sky Sports News and the Sky+ features though.

Yes but you can get sky sports news for free on freeview!
  • Options
    ste03ste03 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Some people will still pay the increased price to get live sport and movies on top of that you have to pay for tv licence over £600 if you have full package for years worth of tv.
  • Options
    EmmGeeEmmGee Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I currently pay £35 for my Sky World package. This is because they ran a promo back in 2003...maybe 2004...where they gave the even number movie channels to those with Sky Sports package. A further amendment to that eventually gave all the movie channels for the same £35.

My letter this morning said my sub was going to rise to £52+.

Gave them a call and they said those of us who had that promo were now getting taken off and the promo was ending. She said a different letter is on its way which gives me the choice to go back to my Sports for £45 or keep the movies at £52.

Just to make it clear I have Sky HD which is why its £52 rather than £42 for World and £45 rather than £35 for Sports

Is there anyone else in the same boat with this old promo?

If I don't take the new increase I lose 2 of the HD channels...and lets face it...there's not that many to lose just now!

So is the extra £7 worth it?
    I got a letter last week confirming that the requested change to my package would take effect from 31st August. The thing was that I hadn't requested any change.

So I rang Sky and spoke to a woman who told me that the letters had been sent out in error and a different letter was being sent out shortly. She confirmed that my package wouldn't change and that I would continue to pay the same as I do currently which is an excellent £34.60 for all channels including sports and movies.

From reading this thread tho, I'm assuming the new letter I get next week will be telling me that my discount is ending and I'll be getting screwed the same as everyone else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Companies always resrve the right to alter/end promotions always read terms & conditions when joining.
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ho Hum!
    Same time of year, Same increase.
    Happened last year, year before that and the year before that
    and year bef................................... :yawn: ...........:sleep:zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Best way to avoid price increase is threaten to cancel they might lower subscribtion to half price,leave and wait for them to send you we want you back promotions for ex subscribers.