Is anyone watching the Baby Mind Reader?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Its terrible- I feel so sorry for the little girl in it!!

Would welcome other opinions!

Comments

• samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A baby that reads minds?! - this I have to see !
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What time and channel was it on?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was on C5 at 9pm

Id have cried constantly too living in that house with her as my mother!!!
  • CocothekittenCocothekitten Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was it any good?
    I saw a trailer in which he said to one of the mothers "your child is telling me that she enjoys jumping up and down on your bed" - I mean, what kid doesn't? :rolleyes:
    If I hear a good review I might give it a try
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it a one off, or a series?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    was it any good?
    I saw a trailer in which he said to one of the mothers "your child is telling me that she enjoys jumping up and down on your bed" - I mean, what kid doesn't? :rolleyes:
    If I hear a good review I might give it a try

No it was much more involved. The wee girl on tonight was a horror up 8/10 times a night. Her and her sister slept in the one bed cos their room had flooded. He was able to tell the parents a lot of family details - more specific than jumping on beds etc and tell them what was upsetting the wee one. Once the parents started implementing the things he said were upsetting her, she calmed down drastically. The house was a total tip & one of her frustrations apparantly was that she couldnt find anything and her parents never completed jobs they started.

It was fascinating stuff. Its a series, this is the 2nd one, I missed last weeks but my mum had said how amazing it was.
  • quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night - open mouthed. I didn't really have an opinion on the psychic mind reader bloke but I certainly did on the mother.

I don't think I have ever seen such a lazy cow ever - even Lizzie Barnsley was better. I couldn't beleive it when she told the daughter (who is 2) to "get out of my f**king bag - do you want to be a pain in the arse all your life".

I was also stunned when she slapped her 6 year old son in a temper because the 2 year old was having a tantrum - she couldn't deal with the baby's demands at all and the husband was so put upon. She was an absolute bitch to him. I don't understand how these women can keep their men?

... and of course the baby wasn't sleeping at night - she slept all day long while the dad was at work - she wouldn't have even been tired at night!!!!

I felt so sorry for the dad too when he finally got a bit of kip and the stupid arse woke him up by shouting at him to stop snoring as it was keeping her awake. I notice that she could sleep the sleep of the dead while the kid was screaming so the dad had to get up with her instead (even though he started work at 6!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to laugh when the dad bathed the kids etc and she had a night out 'to have a break' a break from what exactly??? She did nothing around the place. And that house! It was Kim & Aggie she needed in there first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was amazing. He seemed like yet another TV 'psychic' who came out with incredible psychic readings like
    - "I'm getting a connection with balloons... Your baby went to a party where there were balloons..."
    - "There's a tantrum coming..." (as the child begins to climb over the back of the sofa and cry)
    - Sitting in a filthy house strewn with mess and saying "Your baby's telling me she gets frustrated that she can never find anything..."
    - "Am I right in saying the lightbulb in the bedroom went?"

On the plus side, he got to tell the wife she was a fat lazy cow who should pull her finger out, handily being able to hide behind the excuse that this was just what his psychic powers were telling him, and that it was actually the 2 year-old who was calling her a fat lazy cow who should pull her finger out.

(Naturally, when confronted with this difficult home truth, the mother reacted as all good guests do on this type of show and calmly took the advice on board in order to better herself)

(Only kidding, she stormed out in a sobbing rage).

Anyhow, it seemed like hokum to me. Take an unhappy child who lives in squalor and eats junk, tell their parents to tidy up and feed it fruit, then two weeks later point at the happier, healthier child and say "Wooooo! See, I'm psychic, me!" Tune in next week when Derek meets a couple who keep their child in a patch of nettles and can't work out why she's always crying. Gasp as his psychic powers tell him she's unhappy sitting in nettles, and he advises them to move her to a less-nettley location. The results are amazing.

My personal highlight was when the family hired the skip, only for it to fill up with neighbours' rubbish, including several yards of burnt rafters. Two doors down, we saw a man dismantling the remains of his burnt-out garage. I just love that he put masses of charred wood into someone's skip, thinking "Haha! They'll never guess where this came from..."
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MynameisJames,
    I'm surprised the psychic didn't direct them to the neighbour & say the child told him.

After reading your post I can't miss it next week. Sounds like the funniest thing on TV at the moment. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All psychics are frauds, so you just have to watch these programmes for what they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quinie wrote:
    I watched this last night - open mouthed. I didn't really have an opinion on the psychic mind reader bloke but I certainly did on the mother.

I don't think I have ever seen such a lazy cow ever - even Lizzie Barnsley was better. I couldn't beleive it when she told the daughter (who is 2) to "get out of my f**king bag - do you want to be a pain in the arse all your life".

I was also stunned when she slapped her 6 year old son in a temper because the 2 year old was having a tantrum - she couldn't deal with the baby's demands at all and the husband was so put upon. She was an absolute bitch to him. I don't understand how these women can keep their men?

... and of course the baby wasn't sleeping at night - she slept all day long while the dad was at work - she wouldn't have even been tired at night!!!!

I felt so sorry for the dad too when he finally got a bit of kip and the stupid arse woke him up by shouting at him to stop snoring as it was keeping her awake. I notice that she could sleep the sleep of the dead while the kid was screaming so the dad had to get up with her instead (even though he started work at 6!).

We were astounded. When the fat slob yanked the little 2 year old and smacked the six year old- "what on earth?" and she was SOOOO lazy it was unbelievable! Loved the editing, showing her "going out and having a break"

It was also nice to see that "physhic" ( or common sense man) telling that woman EXACTLY what we were all thinking. And was so funny when she ran out dragging sleeping child with her while the husband said "excuse me!" over and over again.

House was revolting. Whilst the woman sat on her ENORMOUS arse on the computer all day.

Awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spoty wrote:
    MynameisJames,
    I'm surprised the psychic didn't direct them to the neighbour & say the child told him.

After reading your post I can't miss it next week. Sounds like the funniest thing on TV at the moment. :D

It's comedy gold, it really is. Derek comes across as someone who's spent years studying the TV 'psychics' and has taken all their more obvious tricks. His show is like some sort of 'Divination for Dummies' training video.

"I'm going to start off with a blindingly obvious statement... 'Am I right in saying your 2 year-old has trouble sleeping sometimes?' There, the parents are nodding, that's good. Now I'm going to follow it up with a prediction based something I've seen in the room, for example that plastic horse... 'She's telling me she likes horses. Is that right?' See, the parents are impressed now, so it's time to start throwing out as many random statements as possible and then edit out the ones I get wrong... 'She's saying she once went on a red bus/stepped in a puddle/fell over a dog/ate some grass/kicked a small bell/stuck a pen up her nose/fell out of bed?' Excellent, got a couple right there, so now it's time to go in for the kill, asking a vague question and watching them for a positive reaction before building on it. 'She's telling me she's got a pain somewhere in her... Leg?....Arm?...Head?...Chest?...' There we go! Mother just smiled! 'Chest! That's it! Trouble eating? Or breathing?' Yes, mum's explaining that she's had whooping cough. bingo!"

I must admit I quite like him though. He hasn't got Acorah's sweaty ego.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The psychic was great at pointing out the obvious too wasn't he -

- "hmmm is that a railway line?"

and - "hmmm - I see you have lots of cats?"

He was mean to the mother - but god she deserved it so much!

I loved it when she stomped upstairs and you could hear her crying and tantruming through the ceiling - it was hard to tell - "which one's the mother and which one's the daughter?"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quinie wrote:
    The psychic was great at pointing out the obvious too wasn't he -

- "hmmm is that a railway line?"

and - "hmmm - I see you have lots of cats?"

Heheh! My favourite was when he looked through their skip, pulled out a grotty plastic Christmas tree and said "Hmmm... Why've they got a Christmas tree?"

I suspect they realised they'd be pushing their luck and so edited out the bit where he told the parents "She's telling me that once a year you have a big celebration of something... You give each other presents... And there's a tree! A great big tree in the house! Is that right?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It's comedy gold, it really is. Derek comes across as someone who's spent years studying the TV 'psychics' and has taken all their more obvious tricks. His show is like some sort of 'Divination for Dummies' training video.

Well said. The programme is a cynical twist on the current trend towards parenting shows. Ogilvie uses the tried and tested combination of cold, warm and hot reading techniques to tell the parents facts that they 'couldn't possibly know'. He also reads the parents not the child. Classic!

For instance did you know that Derek Ogilvie has a team of experts on hand to 'interpret his insights'? So a bunch of childcare and other experts behind the scenes are really the ones responsible for his 'action plan'.

There's some great analysis and comment over at The Skeptic Express

To find out how Ogilvie does it why not check the following link for a general intro. Additional links to individual shows aired are listed at the bottom.
    http://www.theskepticexpress.com/derek_ogilvie_baby_mind_reader.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watch tonights?

I am so wet. It kept making me cry.

I really can't work that man out, but I am about to read the above link so maybe that will help.

Loved the little girl tonight.

not sure I liked him swearing in front of her though! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked last nights purely because I loved the look on the woman's face when he started to cry about not wanting to grow up - it was a classic!!

I was impressed with the difference in the pushchairs that she liked/didn't like though and wonder if that was just clever editing or whether she really did get "cured" straight away like that.