Options

Possible to connect PC to HDD/DVD Recorder?

uchman365uchman365 Posts: 949
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi
I just bought a Grundig HDD/DVD Recorder and I was wondering if its possible to link a PC via the DV-in firewire to transfer video files to the recorder

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice. but I am afraid not. AFAIK none of the DVD/HD recorders can connect to a PC, and precious few Freeview PVRs can, either.
  • Options
    uchman365uchman365 Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it would be great. Cant copy protected DVD`s to the HDD either
    Oh well thanks...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    The original question is VERY interesting. If the DVD recorder has a DV (Firewire) input then it SHOULD be possible to transfer files from the PC via this route if it is likewise equipped. You would of course need to have the video in DV form on the PC. (Actually for PCs equipped for video editing this is not always necessary)
    It is very doubtful that the DVD recorder would be acceptable to the PC as a recognised DV deck, and even more unlikely that it would have any form of transport control via the Firewire link. However - it SHOULD work if it is set to record and then the PC video is set to play.
    Unfortunately the idea to expand DV via Firewire as a universal video link never really took off. (There is a whole book's worth of reasons!)
  • Options
    prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I connect my Sony HDD/DVDR to my Laptop using Svideo and to get sound I connect from the Laptop Headphone O/P to the Sony's Phono input. My Laptop plays the protected dvd with http://www.videolan.org/ set to Full screen, then by accident the Sony HDD is recording from it's front Svideo input. I have noticed after two hours of playing a 2hour dvd that I seem to have a copy on the Sony HDD. This can then be editted then copied up to a dvd, however I deleted it immediately and never did it again....

Edit...Remember to Turn OFF any automatic scans on your PC. It's a slight nuisance having a NO VIRUS FOUND message popping up in the middle of the recording on the HDD....

PC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not buy a Dreambox dm7025 with two DVB-T tuners and connect to it using the ethernet port. Hell of a lot simpler. :)
  • Options
    prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhubarbe wrote:
    Why not buy a Dreambox dm7025 with two DVB-T tuners and connect to it using the ethernet port. Hell of a lot simpler. :)
    That's a good point.
    You often find out things you wanted after the event. So you are able to look out for them on the next purchase. But if you can get a workaround for the meantime with your existing equipment, that's good as well ;) ......

PC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can send video camera footage to the dvd recorder via dv, then why can you not send from laptop to dvd recorder via dv?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhubarbe wrote:

This is simply a myth! The Dreambox is just a glorified PVR with no means (at least apparent to me) of storing to DVD. It is also very expensive for what it does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    PerryM wrote:
    This is simply a myth! The Dreambox is just a glorified PVR with no means (at least apparent to me) of storing to DVD. It is also very expensive for what it does.

Yes it is expensive, what's the point of the Ethernet then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    PerryM wrote:
    But

(a) you can buy a DVD writer for about £20 these days and just fit that or

(b) it's a PC, it's got ethernet, you can just setup file sharing or an FTP sever on it surely to make the content available elsewhere?

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just open an FTP client (there's one inbuilt in Dreambox Control Centre) scroll to /media/hdd and FTP the recording to any PC on the network. You can mount a DVD, a USB stick, (on mine at least) boot from a Compact Flash card; it has an inbuilt media server, shall I go on? if you think it's just a PVR them you clearly don't understand what it is capable of.

As Cliff says, a PC DVD Writer costs about £20, and you can upgrade it any time you choose.

Lovely little box. Expensive? Pah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    raymogy wrote:
    If you can send video camera footage to the dvd recorder via dv, then why can you not send from laptop to dvd recorder via dv?

Can anyone answer my question above please and thanks, or let m eknow the best way to do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    raymogy wrote:

Can anyone answer my question above please and thanks, or let me know the best way to do it.

If the output from the pc dv can be recorded on a video camera then, yes i expect it will work on a dvd recorder.

What footage are you trying to transfer?

I thought dv was mainly used just to transfer to and from video camera's?

I use firewire for some of my external hard drives but i think it is a totally different use of the data transfer,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a dvd recorder that has dv, and can record from digital camera/camcorder, just wanted to know if the dv on my laptop can be connected to dv on dvd recorder, i have the dv lead, but just dont know how to do it thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK - let's get a bit more specific. The actual digital interface is IEEE-1394, or Firewire(Apple), or i.Link(Sony) - they are all the same thing, just different names. You can use this interface on a computer for all sorts of things, like connecting an external HDD.
    Video camcorders often use this same interface for sending the digital data that comprises the DV (or latterly other formats) codec. Record decks do the same with input data. In order to exchange data with a computer, the latter has to recognise that there is a DV device that it can send DV data to. The computer then needs to send the DV data down the IEE-1394 port as requested by a suitable application. This will be typically a video edit application.
    The application will normally also control the DV record deck functions via the 1394 interface. This will probably not be possible using a DVD recorder, but it is normally possible to simply get the app to play the video and at the same time put the recorder into record.
    FWIW
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    FWIW I have an old Panasonic mini DV/S-VHS VCR with a DV port that allows me full control of the VCR from my PC. I have a ShuttleX connected to it via a firewire cable and xfer video back and forth for editing.

For some stupid reason my newer Panasonic HDD/DVD box with a DV port will only communicate with a DV camcorder and ignores a PC connection.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    And also FWIW I tried connecting my Dell laptop with Firewire to my Cyberhome DVD recorder with same.

Nothing popped up to recognise the DVR as an external drive to write files to. (That's what happens when I connect digital cameras via USB or my camcorder via Firewire.)

Tuning the DVR to show the DV input as source revealed no signal when I played video files on the laptop. (Not that I'd expect that to work ... .)
  • Options
    The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Maplins and Currys have a little gadget that you plug into your PC (USB I think) and then plug it into RCA jacks on whatever video equipment you want (I think the intended purpose is TV but if it has got an RCA jack on it then it will connect, sure you can work the rest out for yourselves)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's supposed to get the video onto his HDD/DVD recorder, is it? I think some of us have spent too long chasing around trying to be the undoing of a certain Gallifreyan. ;)
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    rhubarbe wrote:

dont suppose theres a dreambox with dvb-s that could record hd and be streamed to pc? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, most of the HD test channels on Astra 1 19.2°E are in DVB-S / MPEG2 not DVB-S2 / MPEG4 and I can record these and transfer to PC via ethernet FTP.

There is a DM8000s in the pipeline but although promised for October I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhubarbe wrote:
    And that's supposed to get the video onto his HDD/DVD recorder, is it? I think some of us have spent too long chasing around trying to be the undoing of a certain Gallifreyan. ;)

Way too much time. :D

I could have sworn that I had seen something on these forums that does exactly that, costs about £40 from Maplins. I shall have a look in my old emails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Master wrote:
    Way too much time. :D

I could have sworn that I had seen something on these forums that does exactly that, costs about £40 from Maplins. I shall have a look in my old emails.

Further to above post it is available at Maplins for £39. Code No A30AU. It says it connects to VCR, so surely must also connect to DVD/HDD. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have looked at that but I just don't see that it is a product to do what the Op wants to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhubarbe wrote:
    I have looked at that but I just don't see that it is a product to do what the Op wants to do.

Well agreed they wouldn't be able to connect DV via Firewire, but if they want to record images (DVDs perhaps) from their PC to their HDD/DVDR then surely this gadget would do it? The intended purpose is to get the picture on your monitor onto a TV Screen via RCA jacks, I believe, but if a VCR or DVDR has those inputs then surely they can also be connected, and the Record Button pressed?

When I get around to it I am going to try it.

Time is one thing I have precious little of.