Film 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
Forum Member
Did I misread something or is Film 4 going FTV?

Kilfinan

Comments

• tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    July 23rd :)
  • Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    FTA or FTV?.

I have read everywhere FTA.
  • davesulldavesull Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FTA or FTV?.

I have read everywhere FTA.
    FilmFour says FTA, but lots of people doubt that it knows the difference between FTA and FTV. Raising my head above the parapet, I'm opting for FTA on the grounds that it's obviously not under the same contract that's keeping E4 and More4 encrypted (if it was, it would stay encrypted until 2008). Unless Sky makes it financially beneficial not to go fully clear, there are no advantages at all to FTV.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I'll go for FTV due to film rights....
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll go for FTV because i sence Fimfour being FTV somehow.
  • StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davesull wrote:
    FilmFour says FTA, but lots of people doubt that it knows the difference between FTA and FTV. Raising my head above the parapet, I'm opting for FTA on the grounds that it's obviously not under the same contract that's keeping E4 and More4 encrypted (if it was, it would stay encrypted until 2008). Unless Sky makes it financially beneficial not to go fully clear, there are no advantages at all to FTV.

I think - having interacted professionally with Ch4 - that you're absolutely right, and they don't know the difference between FTV and FTA. Even their own website is fuzzy as to what is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if their publicity got it wrong all the way up to (and beyond) the change.

We should, however, have a pretty strong clue at least 2 weeks before 23rd, cos they should be testing the new/non-encrypted transponder (if that's how they're going), and our DS colleagues who watch these things will be alerting us.
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taken from This Thread, hope it helps.

10. The Film Four Saga, Geoff274544 has had a letter from Sky concerning Film Four, stating that; FilmFour will be free to customers from 20th July 2006. The existing service will stop on the 19th, then on the 20th, FilmFour launches their new (as letter claims) Free to Air service. It also states if you have any FilmFour Recordings on Sky+ to watch them by 19th July. Current subscribers will be able to record FilmFour as usual from the 23rd July, 3 days after the final payment. More on this from Skyisthebest The final night/early morning of the 'old' FilmFour will be Wed 19th/Thur 20th July. Then there will be a gap of a few days where 'Previews' of the 'new' FilmFour will be shown. Then, the free films will start on Sunday 23rd July. MediaGaurdian is reporting that Film 4's big opening night premiere, the Oscar-winning Lost in Translation, may have one of the most ambiguous endings in recent film history, but the broadcaster is hoping for a more traditionally Hollywood conclusion to its plans to launch a free movie channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew, a lot of quite complex changes are involved here (of course)....all of which makes it really crucial that Film4 and Sky get their CS heads together and have all the right answers.

FTA viewers do not have to be Sky "customers"... so does the letter from Sky mean (strictly) Sky "customers", or anyone at all?

I agree with others who've suggested FTV is more likely - but only if Film4 themselves understand the difference and have looked at their broadcast rights agreements. FTA would mean that Film4 is launching free movies across Europe. Hmmmm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    If I remember correctly the cricket test matches used to go on film 4 for "free" on Saturday afternoons but was only available to Sky digital subscribers.

Do you think Film 4 being "free" will be something simular?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Encrypted/conditional access channels are only allowed (by Sky) to have up to 3 hrs per day unencrypted, for promo, teleshopping etc. So the Film4 approach suggests they are either going to be encrypted, but Free to View (therefore needs at least a FreeSat from Sky viewing card), OR they dump encryption entirely and go FTA....
  • logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The are extensive threads on other forums on this subject but you probably won't want to trawl through them. :)

I'll try to sum it up.

Many broadcasters use the term 'Free to Air', (wrongly) to mean simply 'non subscription'. They imagine that all people who have satellite receivers have a Sky box and at least a non subscription card. (wrongly)

For instance 'FIVE' are describing their forthcoming new channels as 'Free to air', but when challenged by email they admit they require a Sky box and card. (but refuse to change their comments!!)

The trouble with Film 4 is that they are not answering emails for clarification on the issue.

It is suspected by most people that terratorial rights issues means that it will be a non subscription Sky channel. Others feel that Film 4 will not want to be beholden to a subscription company and will want to join the BBC and ITV as a declared public service broadcaster and broadcast 'in the clear'

We will know on 20th July.
  • superman775superman775 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film4 confirms free-to-air date

Channel 4 has confirmed that Film4 will relaunch as a free service at 9pm on Sunday 23rd July.

http://media247.co.uk/skydigital/newsarchive/2006/07/film4_confirms.php
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film4 confirms free-to-air date

Channel 4 has confirmed that Film4 will relaunch as a free service at 9pm on Sunday 23rd July.[/url]

If the channel goes actually go free-to-air I wonder how long before More4 and E4 join them? I know they have contracts but if they can re-negotiate Film4 maybe they can get the other's free aswell including C4? then all they need is Five to follow.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    If the channel goes actually go free-to-air I wonder how long before More4 and E4 join them? I know they have contracts but if they can re-negotiate Film4 maybe they can get the other's free aswell including C4? then all they need is Five to follow.

Contracted until 2008....they may as well wait for that contract to elapse rather than trying to buy themselves out of it (very costly, I imagine).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    ... unless they close down and re-launch as a new company with a new name, which is presumably how FilmFour will become Film4 and free to air.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daio wrote:
    ... unless they close down and re-launch as a new company with a new name, which is presumably how FilmFour will become Film4 and free to air.

If they were doing that would they be allowed to keep their EPG position? I'd have just thought they were on a different contract, since it was a premium channel (although More4 was marketed as FTA, so there's always the outside chance it'll be 'family pack' though that option seems unlikely).
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But say Film4 was FTA, this would seem odd as C4 would still be FTV, so if Film4 was FTV you could understand this but say they go completely free-to-air surely it would make sense to let the others go free? I don't see the problem as Sky are always launching new channels on there packages.

When E4 went FTA it was allowed to leave Top Up TV so surely E4 can re-negotiate contacts on Sky.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should, however, have a pretty strong clue at least 2 weeks before 23rd, cos they should be testing the new/non-encrypted transponder (if that's how they're going), and our DS colleagues who watch these things will be alerting us.
    A new label has appeared this afternoon on 12.480 V, labelled as "12010" and its showing Film Four previews.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:
    A new label has appeared this afternoon on 12.480 V, labelled as "12010" and its showing Film Four previews.
    Is this promo FTV or FTA? (not had time to look for it myself yet)
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote:
    Is this promo FTV or FTA? (not had time to look for it myself yet)
    Its FTA, I have pulled the card out and tried it. :)
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OOOPS! :o

Wrong thread :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:

The quality of this feed though is absolutely shocking! Its blocky as hell!! Its at 544*576i 16:9 as well. Why doesn't anyone use proper 720x576i anymore!!

Edit: Its at ~1.5Mbps
  • SoloMaleeSoloMalee Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:
    Its FTA, I have pulled the card out and tried it. :)

Excellent, lets's hope it stays that way...but with a more useable picture quality.