Options

HD picture Quality

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
Forum Member
Hi i have a Sony Bravia TV it has a great picture and was wondering if there is a big difference in picture quality with HD.
If so will there be much difference in quality.

Comments

• Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aesp, I have a 32" Bravia and was not happy about the picture on SD, it showed up too many artefacts (digital interference).

HD really was a breath of fresh air, sharp and clear, artefact-free with more vivid colour. The difference is so obvious when you switch back and forth between SD and HD. So if you are happy with SD pictures imagine how impressed you'll be with HD.

The only fault with HD picture wise is the "pulsing" that sometimes appears on Sky Sports HD, Discovery HD and Nat Geo HD. Never seen it on BBC HD (which, btw, is the best HD channel for pictures and content IMHO) It can be annoying but I think I'm right in saying that this is an encoding issue, ie, not the fault of the box, but the broadcaster? Even with this it's still worth the £10 a month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your reply very interesting.
    HD it is then.
  • Options
    suniiilsuniiil Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    also it's depends on your viewing distance. I've 9 feet distance between TV and sofa, for normal SD viewing a 42" is brilliant. But for real HD experience i've to go closer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    suniiil wrote:
    also it's depends on your viewing distance. I've 9 feet distance between TV and sofa, for normal SD viewing a 42" is brilliant. But for real HD experience i've to go closer

whats the viewing distance for a 40 " tv wiewing hd then?
    thanks

steve
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,578
    Forum Member
    whats the viewing distance for a 40 " tv wiewing hd then?
    thanks

Minimum viewing distance for SD is said to be 2.5 times the screen diagonal, closer than that and you can see the lines on a CRT, or the artifacts on an LCD/Plasma.

With HD I've never seen a suggested minimum, and it doesn't seem to matter how close you get, it still looks great!.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I've got a Sony Bravia 40". I have to say that the World Cup Final in HD was well worth all the hassle and money. Just outstanding picture quality. It's the best HD broadcast I have seen so far. Let's hope the broadcasting companies continue to bring all the top events to us in HD and let's hope South Africa are able to get HD capabilities up and running before 2010.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been covered but i cant find it on any thread
    It is about which setting to have hd box on for picture should it be on auto or 1080 all the time ???
    It is just when i change from hd to normal on sky the screen turns green then i get snow for a few seconds before new picture appears if i leave it on 1080 all the time it is fine ( is this just my screen changing when it finds the new resolution)
    What is the best setting for picture resolution?
    I have an hitachi 42pd6600
    Cheers in advance
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you leave the HD box in auto, and using HDMI then the SD pictures will be output at 576, but at the right aspect ratio. If you leave the HD box on 1080 you will get upscaled SD (1080) but the aspect will be "stretchyvision".

It's really a matter of personal choice. I tend to leave it on auto because I can't stand stretched SD.

You will only get the screen flickering if you have it set to auto whist the screen switches from HD to SD and vice versa.

Steve
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any way of getting 1080p picture quality?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No .

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    aesp1408: IMHO HD is an improvement that is worth the money given that you've spent over £2K on a Bravia. I've got a 40" Bravia. I don't worry about the £10/mth as I've got mutiroom and had SKY+ before. I already had to pay £10/mth before for Sky+ and a normal digibox; now I also pay £10/mth but for a SkyHD box and a Sky+ box!!! From the point of view of all those that say that 'HD' is £10/mth 'more', I happen to think the £10/mth just became a much much better deal!!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to 'compare' the quality of broadcast between 145 (BBC HD) and 101 (BBC1) for the foot ball / wimbledon anymore ;-( Wimbledon in HD was miles ahead of the SD telecast!!!!!! If anyone was skeptical about HD vs SD, I thought that the comparison for Wimbledon just wipped out all doubts... it is DEFINITELY 4 times better!!!

aerofly2: I leave it on Auto as well because I cannot stand stretchyvision (for the benefit of those not privy to this term - it means displaying 4:3 picture on a 16:9 (wide) screen while the aspect ratio is set to WIDE). From reading other messages, it appears that stretchyvision doesn't affect all brands of televisions. That is, certain brands appear to allow aspect ratio changes (e.g. super-wide, or smart) while in 1080 mode. In the case of the Sony Bravia - the 1080 mode (i.e. if you output on 1080 from the HD box to the Sony via HDMI on AV6) disables aspect ratio changes - that is, it is STUCK in 'WIDE'; this is resolved once you out on 'auto' - once SD channels are received, the Sony reverts to allowing aspect ratio changes, or reverts to auto aspect ratio changes (depending on your settings), while gets rid of stretchyvision. In a nutshell - I believe that setting the output on 1080 even for SD channels will probably yield a better quality than 576, however, due to the strechyvision issue, I've opted to live with 576 on SD channels, which isn't bad at all given that that's what I had with Sky+ to begin with on all my SD channels!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    thanks folks my tv has auto aspect as in panaramic, full, auto and 4:3 would it not do this if left at 1080i and set to auto on screen rather than hd box or should i leave it on auto and put up with green screen and snow for 5-10 secs on changeover from hd to sd every time
    The reason it came up was trying to quickly change between sd and hd during tennis to show someone picture diff but cause of snow etc it wasnt as easy to show cheers for the info anyway
    dnic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    There are two Sony Bravias in my family 40"/50"
    both are stunning.

Freezing a picture from the Tennis last week you could see every last detail of people in the crowd, even the ones right at the back, the picture was so good you could view this from only a few inches away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I agree that the PQ is very good but at the moment there is such a limited number of HD programmes to actually watch for the content that it might just not be worth it after the PQ honeymoon period is over. We need a few extra HD stations on board to justify the £10. Any rumours of new stations? If so, when? Soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    We have a 40" Bravia, just using it with Sky+ at the mo' until the 11th August when HD gets installed, and I have to say that at a viewing distance of about 10-12 foot the picture looks superb, such a massive improvement over the 28" panasonic CRT we had prior to this (which I thought was good at the time) :D
    After reading the other posts on this thread I'm really looking forward to HD especially after certain posts on other threads seem to delight in saying how poor and overrated the Bravia's are :p (probably because of the connection with Sky re: the cash back promotion) I think some people have a lot of sour grapes over various issues...
    Roll on August!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    umgal wrote:
    I agree that the PQ is very good but at the moment there is such a limited number of HD programmes to actually watch for the content that it might just not be worth it after the PQ honeymoon period is over. We need a few extra HD stations on board to justify the £10. Any rumours of new stations? If so, when? Soon.

Already announced sky sports HD2 - due to appear later this week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    DanMan01 wrote:
    Is there any way of getting 1080p picture quality?

Not yet in Europe, as far as I know, but I have seen 1080p on a Sony HD DVD in the USA with a Sony DLP set with 1080p resolution. It is hugely better than the HD currently being put out in the UK.

Personally I do not think the present HD warrants the outlay, but as soon as they start broadcasting in 1080p I will be in for it, because it is just so much better.

There are a few sets already on sale in the UK capable of 1080p, but they seem to be at the top end of the market and extremely expensive.

As the technology becomes more available I would imagine prices will come down to a more reasonable level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    ean36t wrote:
    Unfortunately, you won't be able to 'compare' the quality of broadcast between 145 (BBC HD) and 101 (BBC1) for the foot ball / wimbledon anymore ;-( Wimbledon in HD was miles ahead of the SD telecast!!!!!! If anyone was skeptical about HD vs SD, I thought that the comparison for Wimbledon just wipped out all doubts... it is DEFINITELY 4 times better!!!

Disagree. It's better but not worth the £kkk I've spent getting it. Big disappointment. Happy for you though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    JDW wrote:
    Disagree. It's better but not worth the £kkk I've spent getting it. Big disappointment. Happy for you though.

Most of the displays available today aren't really up to the job of displaying HD in it's full glory. It is amazing when seen on a good display.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the displays available today aren't really up to the job of displaying HD in it's full glory. It is amazing when seen on a good display.

Yes this is the problem - I have extensively used HD on 2 screens a 1024x768 42" Pioneer and a 1270x768 50" Pioneer - whatever else one says the reality is that the reduction in screen size and pixel count has an effect on the perceived quality of the image.

There is more image data in the bigger screen with more pixels than the smaller one and that is noticeable. On both screens the HD images has more viewable imformation than SD images.

But the question is do you think it is worth it - and that is very subjective. As someone else said Wimbeldon was an excellent example of the difference - SD the net was a hazey thing in HD you could see the weave of the net. Did it make the tennis better I can't say but could you tell the difference yes you could.

So I belive that the HD picture quality is there in the transmission but getting it all out isn't either cheap or easy. Lesser equipment will show and improvemnt but how much will vary from screen to screen. Worse I don't know what the ideal screen is at this point and am glad I'm not having to buy one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I have really got it for the Football and after the worldcup i would say it is worth it having had to go back to ITV to watch certain games , the trouble i find is because i am paying £10 a month i am trying to watch things i HD all the time and to be honest the choice is fairly poor at the minute with a lot of stuff being repeated through the day .... also has SKY ONE HD ever shown a true HD programme ?
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanJ wrote:
    Yes this is the problem - I have extensively used HD on 2 screens a 1024x768 42" Pioneer and a 1270x768 50" Pioneer - whatever else one says the reality is that the reduction in screen size and pixel count has an effect on the perceived quality of the image.

True, and that's why the Pioneer PDP-5000EX is the best HDTV available in the UK. It combines with the superior picture quality of plasma with 1080p native resolution and PROPER 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing (540p field bob just doesn't cut it, especially on a 1080p display).

I look forward to seeing Sony's new SXRD RPTV which is coming to the UK in September. It's 1080p native and the picture quality is said to blow plasma, LCD and DLP clean out of the water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topper225 wrote:
    I have really got it for the Football and after the worldcup i would say it is worth it having had to go back to ITV to watch certain games , the trouble i find is because i am paying £10 a month i am trying to watch things i HD all the time and to be honest the choice is fairly poor at the minute with a lot of stuff being repeated through the day .... also has SKY ONE HD ever shown a true HD programme ?

That is the problem with launching HD between footy seasons and relying on cricket to fill the live HD sport gap:)

As for SKY1......
    Enterprise
    Deadwood
    Las Vegas
    Brainiac
    Eureka
    Last Chance
    Hades Factor
    Weeds
    Malcolm
    Over There
    Threshold
    Father of the Pride plus a few others and the odd movie and TV mini-series as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote:
    I look forward to seeing Sony's new SXRD RPTV which is coming to the UK in September. It's 1080p native and the picture quality is said to blow plasma, LCD and DLP clean out of the water.

This is very probably what I saw in the US in June, hooked up to a Sony HD DVD player, also outputting 1080p. Believe me, it really was astonishing, absolutely streets ahead of anything I have ever seen this side of the pond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meltcity wrote:
    True, and that's why the Pioneer PDP-5000EX is the best HDTV available in the UK. It combines with the superior picture quality of plasma with 1080p native resolution and PROPER 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing (540p field bob just doesn't cut it, especially on a 1080p display).

Have you seen the Pioneer?

The specification is certainly excellent and I will look forward to seeing it in the flesh and comparing it to other screens.

Screens that are 1920x1080 seem like the right solution but the screen also has to be big enough and have good technology to convert from 1080i to 1080p (or you need a good external scalar).