New Oneword MHEG can freeze old boxes

AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
Forum Member
The new MHEG on oneword can freeze a Pace Ondigital box, but it's only if you let the MHEG load, then use INFO and then let the MHEG reload. A small annoyance.

My other little gripe is the use of a white background.

Otherwise, I'm quite interested in the new developments that channel 4 have introduced to the station.

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up.

I stay clear of the ITV4 MHEG for the same reason.

I wrote to ITV about the problem ages ago and even gave them a DS link on the problem. Is it fixed? No way!

As is per usual nowadays, the broadcaster is never wrong and the viewer is just an inconvenience.

:)
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    So it must be the something to do with the graphic - the size or the format - which fails to load.

It would be interesting to know the size of the graphic files on various screens, can anyone supply that information???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote:
    As is per usual nowadays, the broadcaster is never wrong and the viewer is just an inconvenience.
    Hey that really does sum things up with Freeview! :)
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey that really does sum things up with Freeview! :)
    Very true, but I can't help but notice the word "MHEG" keeps popping up in a lot of these negative threads with certain services.

Is it me, or is there a pattern developing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Also strange that STBs don't have an option to switch off the MHEG if you don't want the 'interactive features'. Apart from the very few that do have such an option and those which don't have MHEG at all. Looks like there is a conspiracy to make us all slaves to MHEG applications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Hitches Errors & Gripes :rolleyes:
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    More Hitches Errors & Gripes :rolleyes:
    Bahahaha. Fantastic :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote:
    So it must be the something to do with the graphic - the size or the format - which fails to load.

It would be interesting to know the size of the graphic files on various screens, can anyone supply that information???

I doubt it. It's a PNG as are most/all MHEG graphics, 500x133px. :)

I used a Nebula to dump the MHEG so this may be Nebula's doing, but after its translation into HTML it has:
    background-color:#background-color:#ffffff

If this is the MHEG itself having an error that's translated into the background-color:# at the start then that could be a possibility.

Whilst I must say the broadcasters should try and fix these things, it's known that poor documentation of MHEG has meant that boxes and broadcasters aren't always entirely sure about how to do things - something the latest MHEG proifile set about fixing IIRC.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OnNewie wrote:
    Also strange that STBs don't have an option to switch off the MHEG if you don't want the 'interactive features'. Apart from the very few that do have such an option and those which don't have MHEG at all. Looks like there is a conspiracy to make us all slaves to MHEG applications.
    Turning foreign subtitles on also disables MHEG :) (Hence my IDTV is set to show Finnish Subtitles)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote:
    Turning foreign subtitles on also disables MHEG :) (Hence my IDTV is set to show Finnish Subtitles)
    kev do you know if that works on many boxes?
    and does it just turn off multiscreen stuff or text services or everything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok I just tried it on this Asda Onn box :(
    It only allows off english welsh gaelic
    I set gaelic and yes
    there's a strange dialect of gaelic subtitles on screen which could easily be mistaken for english.......
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev do you know if that works on many boxes?
    and does it just turn off multiscreen stuff or text services or everything?
    It works on the following devices :-

ITV Digital Pioneer (can also press guide to kill MHEG)
    Daewoo Setpal (also has a disable MHEG option)
    Pace Twin (can also pause then play)
    Philips IDTV

not tried it on the Goodmans DVD Recorder yet though.
    ok I just tried it on this Asda Onn box :(
    It only allows off english welsh gaelic
    I set gaelic and yes
    there's a strange dialect of gaelic subtitles on screen which could easily be mistaken for english.......
    Ah, the gold ol "it the language you want ain't there fall back on the default trick". Although ISTR that the Welsh subtitles are in English to save Welsh language readers from having to switch languages all the time.

It does disable all MHEG, however pressing "Text" enables it until I change channel.

ISTR one manufacturer has a feature where MHEG is disabled until you press red.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youre right kev
    I just pressed text with these gaelic subtitles (not welsh) and it said
    Interactive services cannot be used while subtitles are on. Would you like to turn off subtitles now? Yes/No

I only pressed text! That's not an interactive service - it's text!!!

I dunno:)