Options

Aldo: Tevion 5.1 Channel DivX DVD Player. £29.99

As stated Aldi will be flogging this (beast of a) machine this thursday.

Aldi advertise it as;
  • Built in 5.1 decoder
  • Divx (Mpeg4) compatible
  • Multi memory card reader
  • Mp3's Jpeg etc...
  • Finally...... USB!

All this for £29.99 and a 3 year warrany.

I mean for 30 quid it may be worth a purchase as I hate watching Avi's on my PC, plus it has USB / Card reader ports so a possability to play movies without having to burn a disc?

What are your thoughts?

-DNZ :eek:

PS: Sorry for no linky but the url for the dvd player is not showing up on my address bar for some reason? But i can give you this;

www.aldi.co.uk

Thankyou.

Comments

• Options
    DNZ711DNZ711 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Telly_Man :D

• Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the same thing will happen with these players as happened with Lidl's Targa players last year? The Targas were £19.99 so the Tevion is not quite as good an offer, but it does have more features than most comparable DivX players around the £40 mark.

People queued up at the door of Lidl stores around the country, and when the doors opened they rushed in grabbed as many as they could (most stores only had about 20 each so most people were disappointed). Some people bought 10 players each, kept a few for friends and family and sold the rest for double the price on eBay! That's a market economy for you.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Anyone bought one and know how to make it multi-region?

Plays avi and mpg movies off a USB memory stick fine as well as wma and mp3 music tracks. Wont recognise mp4 files though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    That's a PC...
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_292.html
    Silent-Bob wrote:
    Just Google the model number. What is it anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a pc...

It weren't when i linked to it.
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Grrrr... These offers always crop up when I'm totally broke for the month...... Could do with a new one as I've had mine for about 6 years now. No mad rush though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Silent-Bob wrote:

Plays avi and mpg movies off a USB memory stick fine as well as wma and mp3 music tracks. Wont recognise mp4 files though.

Hi silent Bob,

just bought one today i already have a Goodmans GDVD161DX and the software is very close tried the hack below and it worked a treat, i was a bit let down that the player didnt play nero files as suggested in the alda website. ill ring support and ask about firmware upgrade ;)

How to convert your Goodmans GDVD161DX player into a multi-region compatible machine

To convert this player to multi-region
    1. Power off your DVD player
    2. Power on your DVD player
    3. Press the Open button on your remote control to open the drive tray
    4. Press the 1 button on your remote control
    5. Press the 0 button on your remote control
    6. Press the 3 button on your remote control
    7. Press the 0 button on your remote control
    8. Press the 0 button on your remote control for multi-region playback
    9. The onscreen display will indicate the currently selected region
    10. Power off your DVD player
    11. Power on your DVD player
    NB: You may need to reset the parental controls after performing this procedure

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/full/goodmans161.asp

I also played a 500mb divx file from an SD card worked fine

Best regards

Vilks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Cheers Vilks - will try that when I get home. :D

Couldnt find anything about this model on t'internet at all and only bought it for the USB/card reader slots to play xvid and divx files.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one of these yesterday. Simply unbelievable value for money - I can't believe it's got a 3 year warranty either.

Thank you for the region hack above. It works perfectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silent-Bob wrote:
    Wont recognise mp4 files though.

Which is odd as on the box and in the manual it definitely states that it will play AAC and MPEG4 files.

I have tried renaming AAC audio files from iTunes .M4A extension to .MP4 and it simply doesn't even list the file in the Navigator. The same goes for various MPEG4 video files I have.

It will "see" WMV files, but gives an "Unknown CODEC" error when you try to play them.

It can also be a bit picky with the audio on some XviD files.

My only other gripes are the bright, "alternating" LED display and the transport can be a bit noisy.

At the end of the day, it was £30 though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .MP4 is a different format than Mpeg4. Im not too sure about the details though.

PS i REALLY wanted one of these but I need surround sound and cannot afford a seperate Analogue 5.1 amp! :mad:

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I came across a few of these yesterday in the Rhyl store. Would it be possible for someone who has bought one to post a picture of the back of the player so I can see what outputs it is?
    Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if you can access an external hd via the USB port??

FaiLSaFe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have one of these and i am quite happy with it so far. I agree the alternating lights are abit of a pain.
    It's played every dvd, vcd and dvix movie i have tried so far.
    It also played movies off my usb memory stick.
    I did try an external hard drive but it wouldn't read the root directory, but i found that if your harddrive is ntfs formatted it will not read it, so i converted it to fat32 and now it works fine with divx and xvid. I have not tried it with dvd movies from the harddrive because fat32 has problems with files bigger than 4gb so i believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FaiLSaFe wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can access an external hd via the USB port??

FaiLSaFe

Yes. I have a 15GB Sony Vaio USB 2 HD which works flawlessly - it must be formatted to FAT32 though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info guys.
    andy768 wrote:
    Would it be possible for someone who has bought one to post a picture of the back of the player so I can see what outputs it is?
    Thanks
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/smallclone/IMG00116.jpg

I'll post a better picture later if I can. The batteries in my camera just died.

Also, for those looking for a speaker system to go with it have a looky here:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/2295/5-1-home-theatre-speaker-system-bla

FaiLSaFe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the picture. I am really considering buying this now. I currently have a Cyberhome 505, would there be any noticable difference in picture quality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tevion is progressive scan. i dnt kno about the cyberhome!

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to buy one first thing tomorrow morning. I just hope they have some stock left in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I bought one this morning and am very impressed with it. Had a couple of green screen moments when watching a AVI file but they only followed when the file had been paused for a few minutes.
    I would be interested to know if there were any available firmware updates around? The manual lists the www.akura.com website but no mention of any on there.