Options

Sky+ 160 Discontinued?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
Forum Member
✭✭
Has Sky+ 160 been discontinued? Can't find it on their [Sky] web site or online store! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    It was discontinued a few months back due to severe faults. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was discontinued a few months back due to severe faults. :)

Thanks,- is Thomson unreliable for Sky+?
  • Options
    digitalsatmandigitalsatman Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    I think it was mainly the hard drive which was at fault, normal Thomson PVR3 boxes are super. :)
  • Options
    deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 160, works fine, has done for 9 months, had tivo for 5yrs no problem at all, my skyhd is trouble free also,all made by thomson, i rest my case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 160 hit a dead end.
    It lacked the features which SKY are pinning future products/services on and just like the version1 SKY+ from PACE it stopped production.
    It did serve one purpose very well, it gave a Thomson a high profit product to sell to SKY and made supporting SKY long term (who are not known for being generous) a much easier decision.
  • Options
    rfwrfw Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    It lacked the features which SKY are pinning future products/services on.

I.e. marking out half the disk so that you can't get at it and they fill it up with reality show and soap trash you don't want to watch. I have a 160+ and on the whole it's been very good, just the odd glitch. When I come to replace it I shan't be at all pleased to lose storage to this daft idea (though I suppose by that time I would go HD).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reserving judgement on the VOD options that SKY have in mind until we see exactly what the content is:)

Lost of people question the delay in US shows and perhaps PPV will be a way that these shows could be shown in a time frame that is acceptable without downloading and making sure that restrictions are in place to prevent damage to the existing distribution contracts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomson 160 had a lot of problems with DD compatibility. A lot of them were noisy too (although I had one that was very quiet). I agree with the poster who says the Thomson V3 is better; but even that is much worse than the Pace V3, which is much quicker and quieter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    The drive packed up 3 weeks before 1st year warranty expired so sent it back to my fab suppliers Brymar in Leeds. They sent it to Anovo who are the official repairers for Thomson.
    Sent it in 1st week of February and received it 3 weeks ago. Not Brymars fault but Anovo saying they were waiting for new hard drives and my box was next on list to be fixed.
    4 and a bit months passed and then I took things into my own hands. I am also a freelance researcher and have been working on some items for Watchdog in particular this self same problem I was encountering. After a few choice phone calls and a few e-mails my box and the backlog were miraculously fixed and sent out to consumers.
    So it doesn't surprise me that it may be dropped due to technical issues. I reckon they may just pull out all together.
    Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    4 and a bit months passed and then I took things into my own hands. I am also a freelance researcher and have been working on some items for Watchdog in particular this self same problem I was encountering. After a few choice phone calls and a few e-mails my box and the backlog were miraculously fixed and sent out to consumers.
    So it doesn't surprise me that it may be dropped due to technical issues. I reckon they may just pull out all together.
    Cheers

With members like you, no wonder Sky did a quick fix in the V1 boxes last month, cheers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Re: Thomson Phasing out Sky+160
    Could it be due to the fact Thomson is now producing the Sky HD digibox, the 160's now taking too much space on the production line...?
    (Incedentally, my Thomson 160 seems to be working perfectly, but then again, I won it off Sky in a competition, so they might have "made sure" it worked before they sent it to me...). :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfw wrote:
    I.e. marking out half the disk so that you can't get at it and they fill it up with reality show and soap trash you don't want to watch. I have a 160+ and on the whole it's been very good, just the odd glitch. When I come to replace it I shan't be at all pleased to lose storage to this daft idea (though I suppose by that time I would go HD).

You say this about marking about half the disk, but Sky NEVER advertised the PVR3 as a 160gb machine therefore they aren't really doing any wrong.
  • Options
    deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfw wrote:
    The thomson sky+160 allowed all the 160gigs for personal recordings. The thomson hd also gives you 160 gigs, although hd will take up a big chunk of that.
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Apart from a fault box that dumped about 60 hours of recordings (replaced under warranty, and 3 months half price subs as compensation armwrestled out of Sky), since Sky updated the firmware and resolved the Dolby Digital problem, my Sky +160 has been rock solid since XMAS.

The only problem is the 160Gb disc just *ain't* big enough, always always always scrabbling around @ 10% free space.

Maybe I'll pop the lid and shoehorn in a 300,400 or 500Gb disc and see what happens before the warranty expires....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Re: Deesee's comment
    The Sky HD box has a 300Gb drive, but has a 140 Gb partition, for "to be announced" services such as downloadable HD movies etc....
    The remaining 160Gb is available for your own recordings, but HD recordings take 4 times more disc space than SD ones.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    I'm reserving judgement on the VOD options that SKY have in mind until we see exactly what the content is:)

It certainly won't be anything you can't get now ie sports, films and recent new shows. Nothing to get that excited about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly won't be anything you can't get now ie sports, films and recent new shows. Nothing to get that excited about.

How do you know for sure?
    After all we can't get LOST in HD right now but TVDrive users can using their VOD to pay for and watch the show, not a stretch to assume a similar service via SKY using push broadcasting with the SKY+ HD could be viable.

Long term the use of VOD (push via satellite and pull via broadband) could bring about the early showing of some content on a PAY basis leaving mainstream PAY and FTA channels access in the usual timeframe.

As for being excited, well I'm interested in what they will do but certainly not acting like a kid on xmas eve:)